Romney: Why is Newt so angry?
December 28th, 2011

Romney: Why is Newt so angry?

(CNN) – Mitt Romney seemed puzzled Wednesday by Newt Gingrich's objection to the spate of negative ads coming from the former Massachusetts governor's presidential campaign.

"I don't know why he's so angry," Romney said on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer." The full interview will air Wednesday at 5 p.m. ET.

"Look, this is a campaign about things we believe in," Romney said. "I believe the country's being led in a very unfortunate and destructive way by a president that doesn't really understand our economy and understand America. I can get America working again, that's why I'm running."

Romney said Gingrich's insistence that he condemn ads coming from a super PAC supportive of his candidacy was counter to the entire political process.

"I of course could get up and say I decry all of the negative ads and so forth, but I don't," Romney said. "I think it is part of the process. We could all wish for utopian-type process, but the process we have now is that way it's been for a long time. I hope ads that go up, despite showing contrast and distinction or attack, I hope they always tell the truth."

Responding to a direct challenge from Gingrich to participate in a one-on-one debate, Romney said he had already debated the former House speaker plenty of times and wouldn't agree to face him solo unless the other candidates dropped out.

"As for a one-on-one with Newt Gingrich – if he and I end up being the two finalists we'll have that opportunity," Romney said. "But now, I don't know, we've debated maybe ten times, we'll do more debates in January, but until he and I really are the two finalists why there really are people who still deserve to be on the stage."

Repeating a line he's used in debates and on the stump, Romney said he would support any Republican candidate challenging President Barack Obama. That's a far cry from Gingrich, who said Tuesday on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer" he wouldn't vote for Texas Rep. Ron Paul if he won the nomination.

"I don't agree with a lot of things Ron Paul says," Romney said. "And I would vehemently oppose many of his initiatives and I believe we'd be able to move him in a direction that's more productive."

In the wide-ranging interview with Blitzer, Romney's wife Ann spoke candidly about her marriage, including the decision to put the couple on display in a recent television ad. Ann Romney said the spot wasn't meant to criticize rival Gingrich, who has been married three times.

"Whenever I speak about our life experience it is ours," Ann Romney said. "It's our story, it's not anybody else's story. For me to talk about my life, and how I feel about my husband is my story. It is never intended to be seen in a lens other than our story."

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • TV-The Situation Room
  1. Wire Palladin, S. F.

My question is why is Mittens such a lying flip flopper who is clueless on foreign policy, as well as a job destroyer, and views himself as a person of privilege?

December 28, 2011 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  2. Wire Palladin, S. F.

If Mittens had the Kochs and Rove spend $7 million against him, like they did with Newt, I would think Mittens would throw a rich hissy fit.

December 28, 2011 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  3. Debra from Georgia

This man is a liar and thief. Why is he trying to say Newt Gingrich is angry. Look like he is the angry one. idiot.

December 28, 2011 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  4. WHO IS ANGRY?

Looks like Mitt's wife who is the angry one, look at her face!

December 28, 2011 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. Russ

What a bunch of hog wash. These guys try to buy the election with their super pacs which goes against everything this country was founded on. Then they argue like a bunch of two year olds. They sling mud at each other rather than really tell us what they can do to make things better. Then when they do throw us a bone about policy, it's such a bunch of unbelievable, unobtainable goals that you have to laugh at them. Sad part is though, there is a certain faction of redneck bible thumpers and rich people that will still vote for these morons. I don't care how bad of a president you think Obama is, he's better than any two of these characters put together.

December 28, 2011 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  6. TWH

the reason the middle east hates us is b/c we meddle in their affairs.

December 28, 2011 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  7. Jariv

Romney 2012 !!! The real leader America Needs !!

December 28, 2011 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  8. ThinkAgain

Why is Newt angry? Gee, Mittens, it's called modern-day politics, refined by the GOP! This may come as a surprise, but Newtsie doesn't want YOU to be prez ....

Pretty and stupid ....

December 28, 2011 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  9. vic , nashville ,tn

If Romney gets angry he will bet $10000

December 28, 2011 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  10. Jariv

- to Debra from Georgia

Jari from Georgia to Debra from Georgia. I do not know if you are my co-worker, but that is a personal attack without any substance. He is not a liar, or thief. He is not trying to say Newt is angry. He is saying it. That is also true that he is angry, come on, its reality. Romney is not angry. He is an strict person, and that is what we need in the White House. (United States White House, just clarifying in case you want to come back with a different WH). Now that i think about it, you are not, because she is a Democrat and you are supporting Ging I believe.

December 28, 2011 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  11. once upon a horse

if I had the same personal issues that Newt had and people kept throwing them up in my face I guess I would be angry too.

December 28, 2011 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  12. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Why is Newt angry? Perhaps because he doesn't get to wear magical underpants like you, Romney? :)

December 28, 2011 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  13. Ben Dover

Mittens......A Clown America doesn't Want!!!

Obama 2012!

December 28, 2011 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  14. Glenn Giordano

Mitt Romney and Wolf Blitzer two of the prettiest men on camera. Unfortunately neither have much to offer the people of America.

December 28, 2011 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  15. sara

BAIN....Corporations are people too, my friend. His wife "convinced" him to run for president. Sorry, he isn't our savior, maybe yours. Fasttalkingflipfloppingusedcarsalesmanthinkingit's"myturn"I'mprivilegedcorlessrubberbandman.

December 28, 2011 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  16. Eldon Pittman

They both say "Gee" far too much!

December 28, 2011 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  17. sara

The "Barbie and Ken"

December 28, 2011 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  18. sara

Isn't this interview a Mess and seems so unreal, fake. Something isn't right. Seems so Methodical.

December 28, 2011 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  19. Lean6

My goodness, that woman clearly runs the pants in the Romney household. Did anybody else notice that? At least she didn't come out and tell him to stfu when he was going off-script, she just spoke over him. Romney is a dweeb and a reluctant leader. Next....

December 28, 2011 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  20. Lean6

My goodness, that woman clearly wears the pants in the Romney household. Did anybody else notice that? At least she didn't come out and tell him to pipe down when he was going off-script, she just spoke over him. Romney is a dweeb and a reluctant leader. Next....

December 28, 2011 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  21. sara

Willard needs to produce his Birth Certificate and His Tax Returns/

December 28, 2011 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  22. Ron Paul 2012

More productive? You mean sway his views to the status quo of removing citizen's rights, spending money while not fixing the national debt and growing the federal government? Come on... mandating health care and allowing the same ole' crony capitalism is NOT what we need.

FYI, Obama voted for the NDAA. Read about it if you don't know what it's all about. As citizens of the US, you should be scared out of your mind about this.

December 28, 2011 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  23. Mikey

"Romney said he hoped Paul would develop more mainstream Republican views if he became the nominee."
    *************************************************************************************
    Now that's somewhat revealing. Romney "develops" his views all the time to fit the situation he is currently facing. He has few, if any, deeply held beliefs. He is a chameleon, pure and simple. The consummate corporate kiss butt we all hate at work that says exactly what he thinks will serve him at the moment to get what he wants. The kind of person you never turn your back on. Is this what we want in our President?

December 28, 2011 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  24. DumbasRocks [R]s

Hey Mitt, Newt's angry because he is beginning to realize that there isn't a full human brain amongst the whole lot of you [R]-candidate clowns.

Newt's angry becasue he is disappointed in the quality of the [R] candidates. I'm angry too; but its because of the quality of the American voter, many of whom will choose to vote for the "brainless" [R] party.

December 28, 2011 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  25. gogogoff

what a bunch of fools, Ann (Mitts wife) looks like that, because she is in PAIN, she has MS! people who attack Ann, because of her MS are vile people, who attack women who are sick.

December 28, 2011 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |