Romney's front-runner stance in Iowa
December 28th, 2011

Romney's front-runner stance in Iowa

Clinton, Iowa (CNN) - As he visited an overflow room at his third packed event in Iowa in two days, Mitt Romney proclaimed himself a little dazzled by the turnout.

"What a crowd! What a welcome!" he exclaimed. "I'm delighted to be here and see your enthusiasm."

He even answered a shouted complaint by a man frustrated Romney had not headed directly to the deli where he had been slated to speak 30 minutes earlier.

"You're late and you're in the wrong room!" the man shouted as Romney was being introduced.

"In fact there are more people that showed up to this event than we expected so we're going to be in two places," the GOP candidate responded after his introduction. "So we'll be over there across the street in just a second."

The large turnout at Romney's Iowa events - hundreds of voters waited outside two venues that were filled to capacity - seemed to contradict the candidate's effort to downplay expectations in a state where he has been noticeably absent for much of the fall.

In fact, a new CNN/ORC/Time poll has Romney on top of the field and up five points since early December. But the race is close, and within the poll's sampling error.

Speaking at a press availability Wednesday afternoon, Romney cited the fluidity in the Republican field in Iowa and would not speculate on possible outcomes of the upcoming caucus.

"I don't know where it's all going to end up," he said. "I'm not predicting a win here."

But the candidate was clearly feeling confident as the Jan. 3 voting date ticked closer.

"I can't join the expectations game, but I can tell you that I feel pretty good about the support I'm receiving here in Iowa and New Hampshire, for that matter," the GOP candidate told members of the media in Clinton. "It looks like we're going to be off to a good start."

Though he had taken a swipe at Ron Paul over his Iran policy earlier in the day, Romney reacted amiably when asked if he could support the Texas congressman were he to become the GOP nominee.

"I disagree with Ron Paul on a number of issues. I'm sure he disagrees with me on a number of issues and that's part of what goes on in a campaign," Romney said. "But relative to President Obama, I like Ron Paul."

Newt Gingrich told Wolf Blitzer Tuesday he would not support Paul in a general election contest.

Instead of going after his GOP opponents at his Iowa events, Romney has largely embraced the stance of a confident front-runner and kept his focus on President Barack Obama.

"As to how I stack up against the other folks, gosh, there are seven or eight other folks on the stage," he told the media in Clinton. "I can't imagine trying to go after each one of them. Let's focus on the person who really is the target of our effort, and that's what I'm doing."

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Mitt Romney
  1. ARMYCSM

Mitt Romney wants the presidency too bad. What will he pay, his friends pay, what will he say, what will he do to make it so?
    I am afraid to answer any of those questions. He appears to be so desperate for power. What gives???
    He is not the one.

December 28, 2011 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  2. ScottEDowner

Romney should be in Jail dropping soap bars! Mr Romney used the American people for his Healthcare law for inside trading .this is why he don't what to go debate with NEWT ! Mr Romney also took Government property { computers } that had Files from him as Governor.there is so much more all you have to do is look him up ! he is a trader

December 28, 2011 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  3. GonzoinHouston

To the tune of “On Broadway” and with even more apologies to George Benson

They say the race is in the bag for Rom-ney
    They say there's always money in the bank
    Other guys can campaign hard
    But that will take them just so far,
    'Till money dries right up and then they tank.

They say the press is leaning hard for Rom-ney,
    But listening to him just gives me the blues,
    How can you ever decide,
    When every time he's on both sides,
    And when he's on both sides he can't be true.

They say that no one can compete with Rom-ney,
    They'll take that campaign bus back home, they all say
    But they're dead wrong, I know they are,
    The voters will make me a star,
    And money will take me as far, as Rom-ney
    Money will take me as far, as Rom-ney

December 28, 2011 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  4. Yanni

Mitt the patriot claim he loves and understand this country more than the current president but in actual fact Mitt was in Paris selling door to door his form of Christianity to the French's while his countrymen dying in Vietnam. Too much for the patriot who think he is more patriotic than his fellow citizen.

December 28, 2011 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  5. diridi

I told long time ago, Romney is going to be front-runner in GOP, but can not and will not win in Ensuing Elections. It is Obama going to have Land-slide Victory...This Romney is for Corporate Greed, Oil, Rich, not for Middle Class America...period. Obama2012.

December 28, 2011 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  6. Jilli

Oh boy, romneys goin' with the Average Joe wardrobe now? He's the most inauthentic candidate I've seen in a long, long time. A real weasel.

December 28, 2011 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  7. otermbachmann

Wow, the crazies like mittens now. Impressive. Poor poopy poo (santorum) and o'weird one (bachmann).

December 28, 2011 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  8. Paul

Go Romney!

December 28, 2011 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  9. Satberry

The pathological lier is at it again . I agree anyone but the flipper he also lies about his first name.How pathetic,he has no values .his ideas change direction faster than the wind.

December 28, 2011 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |