The Tim Tebow caucus?
December 28th, 2011

The Tim Tebow caucus?

Waterloo, Iowa (CNN) - As the Republican candidates jostle for position in Iowa, one national figure seems to have locked up widespread support: Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow.

Tebow is known for his overt piety - he wrote Bible verses on the eyeblack he wore during college football games - and his faith makes him a popular figure among GOP candidates and conservative voters alike.

A voter at Mitt Romney's Wednesday town hall in North Liberty brought up the controversy over Tebow's frequent allusions to his faith.

"Over here she says Tim Tebow is catching it," said Romney, joking: "He's throwing it too."

He added: "I appreciate people who are willing to stand up for their differences and don't mind being a little different than everybody else."

In a debate in Sioux City in early December, Rick Perry famously said he hoped to be the "Tim Tebow of the Iowa caucuses."

Tebow has overcome low expectations to post a string of wins this season, though his team lost their last two games.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. jb1963

Wouldn't it be funny if he come out of the closet?

December 28, 2011 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  2. once upon a horse

personally I have no problem with Tebow or any athlete that gives praise or thanks the Almighty in public, they have the right to do so. I just wonder though if a Tebow type player had been a Muslim and would kneel and give thanks to Allah all the time if the right would also see him as being so pious. I would think NOT and even to the point that they would call it treasonous and want him off the field. Just saying..........

December 28, 2011 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  3. Larry L

The American Taliban.

December 28, 2011 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  4. Noodle Nose Johnson

Tim Tebow is an excellent metaphor for the GOP candidates – a mediocre talent who is more famous for his 'viewpoint' than his actual demonstrable success.

December 29, 2011 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  5. CBR

Mr. Tebow plays football. I assume he is paid quite well to do so. What he does on or off the field is his business. His religious views are his alone. The Conservatives support his actions because his religious beliefs may reflect theirs. Yet he is nit different from many other players who make the sign of the cross before entering a game, getting ready to dive, swim or skate, or to bat during a baseball game. I am not sure why he should be singled out for praise.

December 29, 2011 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  6. Greg

I wish Tebow would just shut up and throw the ball. I don't want to listen to a quarterback's opinion on anything other than football, and ESPECIALLY not about religion.

December 29, 2011 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  7. Anonymous

Tim Tebow is God fearing person!! Keep it upTebow

December 29, 2011 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  8. Rick Santorum

Tim Tebow can suck my d#@k. I am the Tebow of the Iowa Idiots. I mean Rick Perry.

December 29, 2011 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  9. frag

Yes, it's obvious now; Only Tebow can save the Republican Party. He should be the nominee to run against Obama. There's no way we can lose the game if God is on our side. We could finally put goal posts on the White House lawn, and replace the Washington Monument with the Lombardi Monument.

December 29, 2011 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  10. T'sah from Virginia

Tebow belongs in the Sports Section – or maybe ET!! He's a BALLER though – he's got that – So leave it at that!!

Obama 2012 – The Real "BALLER" in all aspects and truly belongs on the Political Ticker!!

December 29, 2011 04:07 am at 4:07 am |
  11. Silence Dogood

GOP: Why not run him for President? You'd be no worse off and at least he seems likeable.

December 29, 2011 04:26 am at 4:26 am |
  12. Thomas

Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow is following his path and his faith,

That should be respected , not exploited .

Go 49ers !

December 29, 2011 04:44 am at 4:44 am |
  13. sick of republican phonies

He LOST his last 2?!!?? "Father, why hast thou forsaken me?" Maybe god was too wrapped up in the start of the NBA season to help Tim out.

December 29, 2011 06:20 am at 6:20 am |
  14. sick of republican phonies

Uh oh, Tim, not a good sign, losing 2 games... have you thought of switching gods? I hear Baal is a really nuts about football.

December 29, 2011 06:21 am at 6:21 am |
  15. Just Say No To Flipper

Robots trying to do comedy are just plain creepy.

December 29, 2011 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  16. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

The question is how much of this religionous talk be turned into policy by someone elected. That worries me. Perry is a part of a group of Christian that believe that they need to take over everything for Jesus which includes government. That scares me because it would reduce everyone who isn't their brand of Christian to a second class citizen. I have nothing against Tim Tebow the football player. It is taking religion into government and policy based on that which scares me.

December 29, 2011 07:10 am at 7:10 am |
  17. Cfrench

Tebow is a good man, but he's a little on the simple side, for obvious reasons. As for Denver's record, you can credit 90% of it to Denver's defense.

December 29, 2011 07:45 am at 7:45 am |