Bachmann, former ally bicker after campaign switch
December 29th, 2011

Bachmann, former ally bicker after campaign switch

(CNN) – A day after Michele Bachmann's Iowa campaign chairman jumped ship to the Ron Paul campaign, the two sides are still arguing over what transpired before the news broke.

Kent Sorenson was Bachmann's Iowa chairman since early in the campaign, but announced at a Paul event Wednesday he was joining the Texas congressman's campaign only hours after he appeared with Bachmann at one of her events.

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Speaking on CNN Thursday, Sorenson categorically denied he ever spoke with Bachmann about an offer of more money from the Ron Paul campaign, a claim Bachmann has repeated in the wake of the shakeup.

"Absolutely not, that conversation never happened," Sorenson said on "CNN Newsroom."

"As much respect as I have for Michele, the fact of the matter is it just didn't happen. I think it is unfortunate they're resorting to these type of tactics," Sorensen said.

Sorensen said the switch came about because he didn't think the Minnesota congresswoman was in the top tier of candidates, and that in his mind Paul was the only contender competitive against Mitt Romney.

"I think it was very clear that that it came down to a race of the two top tier candidates, Mitt Romney and Ron Paul and I believe it is my duty both to my family and to my state to ensure that somebody like Mitt Romney does not walk away in Iowa with a victory," Sorenson said.

Earlier Thursday, Bachmann doubled down on the accusation she first leveled against Sorenson Wednesday night.

"I had a conversation with Kent Sorenson and in the direct conversation that I had with him, he told me he was offered money," Bachmann told reporters in Des Moines.

She continued, "He was offered a lot of money by the Ron Paul campaign to go and associate with the Ron Paul campaign. No one else knows about that conversation other than Kent Sorenson and myself and I know what he said to me about that."

Bachmann said her conversation with Sorenson revealed the Paul campaign intentionally went after her Iowa campaign chairman because they were anxious about their candidate's poll numbers.

"They were losing steam in Iowa, and losing momentum in Iowa, because Iowans eyes were opening up," Bachmann said. "They understood not only was Ron Paul dangerous when it came to foreign policy, but they're understanding now that Ron Paul would be willing to legalize drugs in the United States including heroin and cocaine. Iowans don't want that."

Also see:

Occupy vs. Ron Paul

Dole calls old Iowa allies to push Romney

Gingrich's 'wild and wooly' Iowa tour

Romney's Iowa confidence grows

Perry ad in Iowa calls GOP rivals DC-insiders

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Michele Bachmann
  1. stta

I would like like a list from Sorenson of the top 5 or ten things that are so venomously bad about Romney that one would change to whoever is in the lead just to beat. He supported a nut case like Bachmann and it looks like he is probably a victim of her distorted facts like she always has done when Sorenson backed Bachmann. Kinda funny and sad at the same time. This week Iowa looks like a can of mixed nuts. It's a shame as I would like to see something good come out of elections.

December 29, 2011 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  2. GeorgeBos95

Wow. I never trusted Bachmann, and now, in my interpretation of the two sides, I really see her as a pathological liar.

She doesn't have a prayer (pun intended) of making a decent showing. Maybe she'll get the hint that it's a message from GOD ... telling her to pull out.

December 29, 2011 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  3. ThinkAgain

@Truth and Nothing But the Truth: "OK, to me this Sorenson guy must be a real slimeball. One does NOT do this to somebody at this stage of the game. To me this exhibits a severe character flaw and if I was Ron Paul, I wouldn't have him within 10 miles of my campaign."

The floor is getting mighty cold, because I just agreed with "Truth" .... ;)

December 29, 2011 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  4. ThinkAgain

@Vet4RonPaul: I'd like to remind you that President Obama has actually been trying to clean up the messes in Iraq and Afghanistan started by Bush; Obama didn't start these wars AND he took out Osama bin Laden and several other top al Qaeda operatives, in an effort to destroy the organization.

Doesn't sound very chicken-hawkish to me!

December 29, 2011 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  5. Patriotwinner

It's embarrassing, but Michele is not the first and will not be the last person to be pwned by the campaign for liberty.

December 29, 2011 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  6. ThinkAgain

@bg in ga: "I'm all against socialism, but the term "socialist" is way over-used..."

Please define "socialism". Then double-check if you're "all against" it.

December 29, 2011 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  7. rich

I dont believe RON PAUL would pay anyone to back him, he's just not that kind of guy !!!!!
    GO RON PAUL,,,, OUR ONLY HOPE !!!!!!
    THE ONLY HONEST PERSON RUNNING !!!!

December 29, 2011 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  8. Indy

The Ron Paul team helped Sorenson get elected when he needed them most and now the Ron Paul team needs Sorenson so whats the big deal. Everyone but Bachmann knows she is toast, so why not go help someone that previously helped you out, and has a very good chance of beating Romney in Iowa. If this were matter of believing one person over the other, Bachmann loses because most of what she has said over the past several years has been lies

December 29, 2011 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  9. Beverly - NYC

Michelle Bachman seems to havea lot of private conversations that cannot be verified, i.e the HPV vaccine that made a young girl autistic, someone told her the Presiden't trip to India would cost 2 million a day. Clearly facts are not her domain.

Mr. Sorenson clearly doesn't care fo a future in politics to pull such a last minute dirtbag move, even on Michelle Bachman. The Repubs will remember this next time around, so I hope he's getting paid a mint.

December 29, 2011 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  10. Lindsey

Maybe Bachmann will throw in the towel and endorse Ron Paul!

December 29, 2011 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  11. patrickt

Hey Michelle, if Iowans dont want legal heroin, they wont have legal heroin!! Ron Paul has NEVER said he wants to legalize drugs!! NEVER!! Why do you continue to LIE about this??

Paul would end the FEDERAL war on drugs, which is a complete failure, has cost hundreds of billions of dollars, and disproportionately affected poor and minorities. The state drug laws would still be in effect, and Ron Paul supports that!! States should have control over drug laws because not all states are alike!! Border states have different problems with drugs than we do here in the midwest. I live here in Iowa, and I would rather have MY state lawmakers decide what is best for MY state, and be able to voice my input. And I dont have a problem with the people of Arizona doing what they feel is in THEIR best interest. One-size-fits-all FEDERAL laws are not as effective, unless your goal is simply to waste hundreds of billions, fill the prisons to capacity, and force YOUR will on EVERYBODY!!

I am a socially conservative Republican. I think it is wrong for liberals to use the federal govt to force me to conform to their morality (i.e. taxpayer-funded abortions), so intellectual honesty tells me it is wrong for me to want to use the federal govt to force others to conform to my morality. But Ms. Bachmann is neither intellectual, nor honest!

December 29, 2011 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  12. bg in ga

@ThinkAgain ... yes I was certain when I said "all against". I'll start with simple dictionary definitions below:
    "1. any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods
    2 a : a system of society or group living in which there is no private property
    b : a system or condition of society in which the means of production are owned and controlled by the state"

December 29, 2011 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  13. Trix

A number of years ago, Ron Paul's people were passing out flyers and I didn't want to be rude, accepted one. He scared me with what all he was saying and I thought he would never get anywhere. Now he's running for President, he will get us in so much trouble and I realize he's all talk, but I think he's a real wacko. Actually I don't like any of the candidates they're offering, but I think he might get the nomination. I won't vote, sorry, I couldn't bring myself to vote for him and first time I've not since I could vote, just can't bring myself to do it, if it's Ron Paul.

December 29, 2011 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |