Bachmann, former ally bicker after campaign switch
December 29th, 2011

Bachmann, former ally bicker after campaign switch

(CNN) – A day after Michele Bachmann's Iowa campaign chairman jumped ship to the Ron Paul campaign, the two sides are still arguing over what transpired before the news broke.

Kent Sorenson was Bachmann's Iowa chairman since early in the campaign, but announced at a Paul event Wednesday he was joining the Texas congressman's campaign only hours after he appeared with Bachmann at one of her events.

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Speaking on CNN Thursday, Sorenson categorically denied he ever spoke with Bachmann about an offer of more money from the Ron Paul campaign, a claim Bachmann has repeated in the wake of the shakeup.

"Absolutely not, that conversation never happened," Sorenson said on "CNN Newsroom."

"As much respect as I have for Michele, the fact of the matter is it just didn't happen. I think it is unfortunate they're resorting to these type of tactics," Sorensen said.

Sorensen said the switch came about because he didn't think the Minnesota congresswoman was in the top tier of candidates, and that in his mind Paul was the only contender competitive against Mitt Romney.

"I think it was very clear that that it came down to a race of the two top tier candidates, Mitt Romney and Ron Paul and I believe it is my duty both to my family and to my state to ensure that somebody like Mitt Romney does not walk away in Iowa with a victory," Sorenson said.

Earlier Thursday, Bachmann doubled down on the accusation she first leveled against Sorenson Wednesday night.

"I had a conversation with Kent Sorenson and in the direct conversation that I had with him, he told me he was offered money," Bachmann told reporters in Des Moines.

She continued, "He was offered a lot of money by the Ron Paul campaign to go and associate with the Ron Paul campaign. No one else knows about that conversation other than Kent Sorenson and myself and I know what he said to me about that."

Bachmann said her conversation with Sorenson revealed the Paul campaign intentionally went after her Iowa campaign chairman because they were anxious about their candidate's poll numbers.

"They were losing steam in Iowa, and losing momentum in Iowa, because Iowans eyes were opening up," Bachmann said. "They understood not only was Ron Paul dangerous when it came to foreign policy, but they're understanding now that Ron Paul would be willing to legalize drugs in the United States including heroin and cocaine. Iowans don't want that."

Also see:

Occupy vs. Ron Paul

Dole calls old Iowa allies to push Romney

Gingrich's 'wild and wooly' Iowa tour

Romney's Iowa confidence grows

Perry ad in Iowa calls GOP rivals DC-insiders

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Michele Bachmann
  1. BlackDynamite

Bachmann can't decide if she wants to implode, or just fade into oblivion.......
    BD

December 29, 2011 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  2. Johnathan

The guy came to his senses, what's wrong with that. Anyone on her staff that looks you dead in the eye and tells you that she CAN win ...is lying to you.

December 29, 2011 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  3. Dear Michelle

I'm sorry Sorenson betrayed you, and for money/Ron Paul! Everyone sees Paul for the drug p im ping, racist, old selfish, antisocial, fool he is!

If it's any comfort, know that Sorensen has to live with himself. Money won't make him more moral and what comes around goes around. Stay focused!

December 29, 2011 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  4. Stan

Doesn't matter what he says... he sold-out and jumped ship. Leaders are supposed to go down with their ship.

December 29, 2011 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  5. longshot

Bachmann simply makes stuff up on the fly, what a lying witch. The GOP deserves her, and Ron Paul deserves this flip-flopper Sorenson.

December 29, 2011 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

Truth and Nothing But the Truth wrote:

OK, to me this Sorenson guy must be a real slimeball. One does NOT do this to somebody at this stage of the game. To me this exhibits a severe character flaw and if I was Ron Paul, I wouldn't have him within 10 miles of my campaign.
    ---------
    These are Republicans that you are talking about. You broke the Reagan Rule. This is your first warning.

December 29, 2011 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  7. Gottlieb Schlittenfahrt

Oh, get over itm Bachman! The guy's just a rat deserting a sinking ship!

December 29, 2011 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  8. John

It is a wonder Sorenson stayed around so long. Bachmann is done. Look who is calling the kettle black. She is imploding and her supporters continue to bail.......

December 29, 2011 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  9. helpermonkey

One does not simply walk into RonPaul.

December 29, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  10. Gottlieb Schlittenfahrt

I'm so sick and effin' tired of hearing Bachmann running down the other candidates. But, that's the onoly way she can make herself look good in comparison; she's unworthy to hiold the office.

December 29, 2011 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  11. Gottlieb Schlittenfahrt

Get over it, Bachmann! He's just abandoning a sinking ship.

December 29, 2011 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  12. olepi

So he left Bachmann's campaign for somebody more top-tier, more electable, Ron Paul.

BWAHAHAHA!

December 29, 2011 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. Truman Guy

She must live in a stupid Congressional Districy to have her be a Congresswoman. Even her own staff in DC can't stand her. Another reason the GOP is a bunch of nutcaeses. Makes the Evangelicals look more sort sighted than they already are. Make way afor the new clown: Santorum. They guy who is the rodent looking Eddie Haskell of the GOP.
    Hunstsman is the only one with an itellect and personality, Why does he even hang with these low lives?

GOD HELP AMERICA PLEASE!

December 29, 2011 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  14. Deeb

How convenient that Ms. Bachmann says... "...No one else knows about that conversation other than Kent Sorenson and myself and I know what he said to me about that." Hmmm...no one else knew about that "money" conversation, huh? So instead of taking the high road when a staffer decided to bail, you took the low one by making an accusation you can't prove and removed all doubt about the desperate, sore loser you are. And to think you want to be POTUS...right.

December 29, 2011 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  15. Samantha

Ms. Bachmann is an embarrassment to US politics. Period.

December 29, 2011 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  16. wow

this is awful hahahahaha just awful

December 29, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  17. DeeNYC

He dumps her hours after appearing with her in a campaign. People are calling him a dirt bag, well of course he's a dirt bag, he was supporting her in the first place, she's a hateful psycho still living in the dark ages.

December 29, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  18. Lindsey

And the Republican Sideshow marches ever onward. Man, this is better than Comedy Central.

December 29, 2011 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  19. Maine LIberal

Bachmann may have to return to the day job she was elected.

December 29, 2011 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  20. NATHAN WIMBERLY

He said she said. The GOBP wingnut/teabagger/Ron Paul trainwreck implosion continues full speed ahead.

December 29, 2011 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  21. Rose

I know it was freaky, the guy was telling people Ron Paul's people offered him money to go to their side, then all of a sudden he's on camera talking against her. I just saw a video of a reporter asking Ron Paul if the guy was offered money and he just kept walking and looking down. Dang, shady tactics, but I wouldn't vote for either of them anyway.

December 29, 2011 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  22. bg in ga

Romney a "Frugal socialist"?? I'm all against socialism, but the term "socialist" is way over-used and this use (in the video) takes the cake. For that alone, I think this guy is a lunatic. If he can't discuss government more intelligently he doesn't deserve air time.

December 29, 2011 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  23. Rose

I know, the guy was telling people Ron Paul's people offered him money to go to their side, then all of a sudden he's on camera talking against her. I just saw a video of a reporter asking Ron Paul if the guy was offered money and he just kept walking and looking down. Shady tactics, but I wouldn't vote for either of them anyway. I just did this over, bec it said it needed to be commerated, not sure why.

December 29, 2011 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  24. Rose

meant moderated, LOL, typed too fast.

December 29, 2011 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  25. unsub

I dont want this to end. KEEP THE LAUGHS COMING!

December 29, 2011 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |