Rep. Ron Paul's American Idol vote
December 29th, 2011

Rep. Ron Paul's American Idol vote

(CNN) – Texas Rep. Ron Paul captured the vote of an American Idol early Thursday when winner Kelly Clarkson tweeted her support for her fellow Texan's candidacy for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination.

"I love Ron Paul. I liked him a lot during the last republican nomination and no one gave him a chance," she said in a tweet too long to fit within the social media site's 140 character limit. "If he wins the nomination for the Republican party in 2012 he's got my vote."

But even the platinum-selling recording artist whose support for Paul dates back to 2008 expressed doubt in his electability.

"Too bad he probably won't," she said in the tweet.

Facing backlash later for her candid comments, Clarkson followed up with another too-long tweet.

"I am really sorry if I have offended anyone. Obviously that was not my intent. I do not support racism. I support gay rights, straight rights, women's rights, men's rights, white/black/purple/orange rights," she said.

The twelve-term congressman who's making his third bid for the presidency recently drew ire for newsletters published in his name during the 1980's and 1990's that contained racist and anti-gay language. During an interview with CNN Chief Political Analyst Gloria Borger, Paul testily removed his microphone after being questioned about the publications that he claimed to have already addressed and dismissed as old news.

But Clarkson, for one, was not dissuaded. In follow-up tweets she defended her choice and noted she'd "never heard that he's a racist," and "never seen or heard Ron Paul say anything against gay people."

"I like Ron Paul because he believes in less government and letting the people (all of us) make the decisions and mold our country. That is all."

Although she identified herself as a Republican, Clarkson said she "voted Democrat last election."

And this go-round, "Out of all of the Republican nominees, he's my favorite," she said.

Filed under: 2012 • Ron Paul • Texas • Twitter
  1. IVOTE

OOPS.....silence on certain issues can be golden. Hope this does not hurt record sale for her.

December 29, 2011 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  2. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE

Although Ron Paul's foreign policy is radical, I agree with him on some of it. I'm tired of this country being the world's police. As far as Kelly Clarkson goes, I'l never buy an album of hers ever, so her opinion doesn't matter. Ron Paul along with his son Rand share the same ideology. Ron Paul needs to explain those newsletters thoroughly.

December 29, 2011 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  3. Rudy NYC

Kelly Clarkson should probably stay out of politics until she becomes better informed. Saying that she has never heard Paul say "such and such" or "such and such" should have been a hint that either she was being purposely misled, or that she was woefully uninformed. Iin either case, most people would have stopped and realized something was amiss. Most people would have done a little more research before coming out publicly confirming an endorsement. I don't hold anything against her but I do pity the woman.

December 29, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  4. v_mag

Kelly can sing, and she has a right to her opinions. I sing okay, and my opinion is, I don't care about celebrity opinions.

December 29, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  5. BLKMANinAmerica

K................will the real RON PAUL please stand up..................................................so noone is standing which leads me to believe the "real" R.P. is yet another FAKE, LIER repuk. Just another 1.

December 29, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  6. K. Richard

Funny how the lamestream dinosaur media is becoming so frustrated of Ron Paul's immense popularity that all they can do is raise up previously debunked racist smear campaign. Anyone who knows anything about libertarianism knows that racism is completely incompatible with libertarian ideals. Read the man's books, articles, etc and draw your own conclusions.

December 29, 2011 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  7. Russ

Won't be buying any more of her albums!

December 29, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  8. Fla Pete

The best thing going out of Texas is an empty bus,let them succeed ,so those losers Paul,Perry and the rest of those sandeatin blowhards diss themselves to death,good riddence...

December 29, 2011 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  9. larry

Join the revolution. For those of you that know nothing about Ron Paul except what the main stream media tells you i sincerely hope you take tht ime to actually google his policies. I use to think the guy was crazy until i decided to do my own research. Amazing what you can find out on your own these days. This is the only guy out there that actually walks the walk.

December 29, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  10. Rudy NYC

K. Richard wrote:

---------------–
    "previously debunked"? Suddenly going silent in the middle of an interview, removing your microphone, and walking out of the room without comment is not debunking. It's acting like a juvenile and extremely rude. Avoiding and ignoring all national press since the "cranky old man" act, is not debunking. It is a sign of weakness, a sign of denial, and the brand of a liar.

December 29, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  11. Brad

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. The only non-collectivist running is a racist in the kingdom of misinformation. Stop and look around people! The big 6 media conglomerates who run the military-industrial complex are waging war on your minds. You must seek out alternative/independent news sources!!!

December 29, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  12. george of the jungle

Hey now there is an endorsment for you! I have really enjoyed this campaign so far. How can anyone say they are a republican with a straight face. What a farce this whole process has been. The only person they have that even acts like a candidate is Huntsman and they treat him like crap because he was embassador under President Obama. They don't care about our counrty or the people just so long as they can beat the president.Forget compromise for the betterment of the country. Bash the pres and give the money to the rich. Ol racist Paul is no better.

December 29, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  13. Al-NY,NY

as the tightie righties would say if this were a "celebrity" endorsing Obama....."who cares what some entertainer says?" And in other news, Snookie has come out in support of the Newter because she says "who cares how many people he's been with? I've been with dozens myself but what does it matter?"

December 29, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  14. MHerron

I love Ron Paul and I love Kelly Clarkston. I too am voting for Ron Paul.

December 29, 2011 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  15. motown74

So, Kelly Clarkson has a different view than most of you liberals here, and all of a sudden she is hated and ridiculed. It sounds like she's made an informed choice.

December 29, 2011 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  16. belle

Kelly Clarkson was the only Idol winner who had any talent. I always liked her and now I have another reason. She likes Ron Paul! Way to go, Kelly, you have a brain as well as a fantastic voice. Ron Paul 2012!

December 29, 2011 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  17. belle

And it won't hurt her record sales because the millions of Ron Paul supporters – like me – will buy them!

December 29, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  18. Sylvia

Go Kelly! Do not let these paid trolls bother you. The truth is, what has Ron Paul ever done or said in his many years in public life that can so much as remotely be construed as “racist?” The answer is not a single thing. In fact, Ron Paul’s voting record in Congress, as well as his many writings, attest beyond the shadow of a doubt that he is equality’s most impassioned and consistent champion. None of the other presidential candidates — including President Obama — can credibly lay claim to this distinction. Paul is equality’s greatest champion because he is liberty’s greatest

December 29, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  19. Officer Perez

Citizens,

As a veteran and military officer, I support Ron Paul. Mainly because I see myself and my brethren getting tired of the wars. Adding another with Iran is just plain wrong and irresponsible. Returning all troops from all over the world back to the US does sound like a mature choice. After all, the Cold War is over. . I confess that secretly liked Obama for his anti-war and anti-torture stance, but, now, I just cannot believe him anymore.

Also, the fact that he wants to return us to our Constiution is an added plus

Your truly,
    LT Perez

December 29, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  20. Lynn

Does Paul's supporters listen to his every plan? The guy would totally change American's way of life, forget about flying safe, he wants to privatize everything. No laws, just it's every man for himself. Drink raw milk, enjoy your illegal drugs and forget about the air traffic controllers, fly at your own risk. Besides his crazy ideas, he's over the top too old for the most stressful job our country has. Just take a look at him, talk about crazy old man, radical is too mild a term.

December 29, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  21. T'sah from Virginia

►"I love Ron Paul. I liked him a lot during the last republican nomination and no one gave him a chance,"◄

And he has the "second chance of his lifetime" now and he still will not be elected President of the United States – much less, get the nomination to run against President Obama. Endorsing Ron is a sure win for President Obama; this will force Paul to run on a third ticket when he fails to get the nomination and with him, he will take all of his ENDORSEMENTS and DIEHARDS and in the end, hurt the Republicans.

Obama 2012

December 29, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  22. GMartine

I have revisited her songs and will probably now get my daughters her CD. I am brown and I support Ron Paul so don't worry about that racist stuff, he isn't at all.

December 29, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  23. hextarski

The racist label is totally inaccurate. Ron Paul is against the death penalty because its implementation is discriminatory against African Americans in the US. As a doctor, Ron Paul provided pro bono medical services to minority families. Senior officials of the NAACP have said that Ron Paul is not a racist. Ron Paul has said that the so-called "war on drugs" is discriminatory against minorities in America. Does any of this sound like a racist? I hope people start looking at the actual man and his actions and stop bringing up some old disavowed, discredited newsletters that were not even written by Ron Paul.

December 29, 2011 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  24. Why

I would love to see someone post a link to speech or a conversation where Paul said something racist! Or even a posting of the entire news letter for that matter (heard alot about it and DO believe there are very racist comments in it but have yet to see it even though i have been looking)

Furthermore, even his defected ex-staffer who is publicly slamming him says hes not a racist, he thinks that paul is anti Isre@l but also states that he's not an anti-s_e_mite just against the manner Isre@l came into being after WW2.

I want Isre@l to stay where it is but to deny that the way thier state came into being might have been an infringement into the (albiet assumed) rights of the people who were living there at the time is just foolish! And the fact that we can't even mention it is almost as bad as blindly believeing that terrorist attack us because of our freedoms!

December 29, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  25. ThinkAgain

So are all the right-wingnuts going to come out in droves, saying celebrities should keep their traps shut about politics?

Just wondering ...