Rep. Ron Paul's American Idol vote
December 29th, 2011

Rep. Ron Paul's American Idol vote

(CNN) – Texas Rep. Ron Paul captured the vote of an American Idol early Thursday when winner Kelly Clarkson tweeted her support for her fellow Texan's candidacy for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination.

"I love Ron Paul. I liked him a lot during the last republican nomination and no one gave him a chance," she said in a tweet too long to fit within the social media site's 140 character limit. "If he wins the nomination for the Republican party in 2012 he's got my vote."

But even the platinum-selling recording artist whose support for Paul dates back to 2008 expressed doubt in his electability.

"Too bad he probably won't," she said in the tweet.

Facing backlash later for her candid comments, Clarkson followed up with another too-long tweet.

"I am really sorry if I have offended anyone. Obviously that was not my intent. I do not support racism. I support gay rights, straight rights, women's rights, men's rights, white/black/purple/orange rights," she said.

The twelve-term congressman who's making his third bid for the presidency recently drew ire for newsletters published in his name during the 1980's and 1990's that contained racist and anti-gay language. During an interview with CNN Chief Political Analyst Gloria Borger, Paul testily removed his microphone after being questioned about the publications that he claimed to have already addressed and dismissed as old news.

But Clarkson, for one, was not dissuaded. In follow-up tweets she defended her choice and noted she'd "never heard that he's a racist," and "never seen or heard Ron Paul say anything against gay people."

"I like Ron Paul because he believes in less government and letting the people (all of us) make the decisions and mold our country. That is all."

Although she identified herself as a Republican, Clarkson said she "voted Democrat last election."

And this go-round, "Out of all of the Republican nominees, he's my favorite," she said.

Filed under: 2012 • Ron Paul • Texas • Twitter
  1. pete4808 in Philladelphia

Never forget that these same duplicitous chickenhawk jihadists (Gingrich, Romney, Santorum, Bachmann, and Perry) beat the propaganda war drums of “weapons of mass destruction” in the failed war in Iraq. The American people know the bitter tragedy of war. They are tired of being lied to about these futile no-win conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. It is their sons and daughters, husbands and wives, who were seriously maimed, irreparably disabled, and killed, never to return physically or psychologically intact as they were when they marched off to these egregious follies.

December 29, 2011 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  2. yawn

Why is CNN trivializing Ron Paul so much?? THI IS NOT NEWS< AND IS IRRELEVANT! Unless you do an article on every star who supports the other candidates, and Obama, it piles on the "silly" bus against Paul. I hope Americans vote/write-in Paul just to shove it up main stream media's blow hole. If you judge a man by his enemies, you gotta love Paul.

December 29, 2011 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  3. Discernment

CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF NOT KNOWING WHEN TO STOP DIGGING

Thank you Kelly for being the best example of a person that does not know when to shut up; or when to stop tweeting; or when to stop digging your hole deeper.

If the Republicans want to block the vote, Kelly Clarkson is where they should start first!

December 29, 2011 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  4. malabar

I disagree with her but it is pretty damn refreshing to know that a celebrity of her age does not have to be a mindless zombie repeating the same boring sheep mentality crap

December 29, 2011 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  5. Tim

Kelly Clarkson Rocks! Ron Paul 2012

December 29, 2011 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  6. Donkey Party

Typical of a Paul supporter to be so uninformed. The only thing worse than single issue voters, are Ron Paul voters. I agree with Clarkson though, he'll never be President.

December 29, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  7. Peace

Folks, is voting not making choices? We all have different tastes or rarely the same. Am wondering why some are angry to others making their own choices!

December 29, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  8. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE

Rudy NYC hit the nail right on the head. Ron & Rand Paul share the same views. Take it how you want to take it, but repealing the Civil Rights Act doesn't sit well with me and it says ALOT about the Paul's.

December 29, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  9. Rudy NYC

Rob wrote:

Gloria was given a good 8 minutes or so. Tail end of the interview. She was given plenty of time. He answered her questions and she continued to "dumpster dive".
    --------------------–
    That interview is the least of my issues. She continued to "dumpster dive" as you put it because he wasn't answering the pertinint questions regarding videotapes of Paul that totally contradict his false denials regarding the articles in his own newsletter. Paul has continued to dodge national media since that moment. He is going to have to answer to his own hypocrisy if he wants the nomination.

Let him dodge the questions for as long as he wants. If he had any spine he would make a speech on race in a press conference, but he's unable to bring himself to do so. The media is giving him free air time and his position is too weak to take advantage of it.

December 29, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  10. Wise1Speak

SOME WHERE THERE IS A PAIR OF CLARK PARENTS – - WITH HEADS BOWED IN SHAME AND EMBARRASSMENT

Republican legislatures in states across the U.S. have been passing new laws in an attempt to block the votes. Blocking the votes of fools like Kelly Clarkson is where Tea Party Republicans should focus there efforts.

December 29, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  11. Republican, REALLY, REALLY hate women.

I see being raised in Texas has caused Kelly Clarkson to suffer from the same low self esteem problem as other republican women.
    Why else would any woman support a candidate who believes in getting government out of every american man's life and INTO every american woman's body?
    I like Kelly Clarkson, and it saddens me that she has so little respect for her right to control what happens to her own body, life and health.
    It also saddens me that as a woman, she's supporting this old hypocrite.
    I'll still buy her next album if it's good, but women should clll her out on this.
    If she wants to be a brood mare for the republican party, that's her problem, other women shouldn't have to suffer for it.

December 29, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  12. BostonGuy

Who cares who she is voting for. She can have her opinion. All Repurbs candidates are going to hate gay people but Ron Paul hates gays the least of any of them. If a Repurb get in the White House it needs to be Ron Paul for the sake of Gay Americans!! I still want Hillary to be Prez!

December 29, 2011 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  13. Common Sense

"A background check reveals that Kelly Clarkson is way smarter than the morons posting negative comments about her here. She wisely gave-up a paid ride to college to pursue singing and now thousands of people sign-up for her Tweets because they want to know what she is thinking. How many people are signing-up for your Tweets, who really cares what you naysayers think??

Kelly Clarkson Rocks! Ron Paul 2012"

Yeah, tell you what, Tim......if Ron Paul is nominated for President by the Republican party, I will give you everything I own and every dime in my bank account. #Itain'tgonnahappen

December 29, 2011 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  14. Proud member of "Global Zero"

When someone starts a comment with "Lame stream media", I quit reading. As far as Ron Paul goes..he IS racist and has very dangerous and selfish views. Go ahead Kelly, I didn't know you were racist too.

December 29, 2011 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  15. Woman In California

Ron Paul won't get my vote for the SAME reason Al Gore didn't. Rand Paul is Ron Paul's hateful son. Where do you think Rand got his ideas from and Al Gore came out of a house full of hate (his father preached hate everyday). I'm not fooled by the old man from Texas.

December 29, 2011 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  16. Wise1Speak

THE CLARK PARENT'S HEADS ARE BOWED IN SHAME AND EMBARRASSMENT – - (or least they should be)

December 29, 2011 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  17. brad5013

Bye Bye, Kelly . . . Nice knowin' ya.

December 29, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  18. normajean @ verizon ,com

I can't think of anything that would lead me to vote for a candidate other than an endorsement from Kelly Clarkson....Now that is the clincher......By the way except for just being another singer....who is Kelly Clarkson????

December 29, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  19. Debbie

This is funny. Clarkson an American Idol winner is supporting Paul. Like that would influence voters? LOL

December 29, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  20. Bryan

Well if its good enough for Kelly Clarkson, its good enough for me! No wait, maybe I should wait to see who the Jersey Shore cast wants me to vote for! Gee so many celebrities to get opinions from!!!!!!

December 29, 2011 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  21. Julie

Kelly Clarkson can vote for and endorse whoever she wants. Her personal opinion does not influence me at all. She is an entertainer, not a political scholar.

December 29, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  22. ddblah

Kelly, I've never heard you signing. Did you sign?

December 29, 2011 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  23. Ohioan

Oh brother..
    Celebrity endorsements are not worth jack squat.

December 29, 2011 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  24. Baal

Wow, an endorsement from Kelly Clarkson. This dumb girl doesn't even know what Paul stands for. "Hey, he's from my same state..." (as she downed another 16" pizza.)

December 29, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  25. Al-NY,NY

Rob

I find it funny the people posting that they will not buy her albums. You will not buy her albums because she has a difference of opinion from you. You do not like her because she is different from you. That sounds to me like you are intolerant. : )
    ------------------

Natalie Maines from the Dixie Chicks......"I'm embarrased by the fact that GW Bush is from the same state" (in so many words). OH THE OUTRAGE FROM THE RIGHT!!!!!! Boycott them! Don't go to their concerts! They are disrespecting the President!!! It happened before and it is no surprise now

December 29, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |