Matt Romney backs off birth certificate quip
December 30th, 2011

Matt Romney backs off birth certificate quip

(CNN) - Mitt Romney's second-oldest son, Matt, made his first foray into the Twitterverse Friday with a mea culpa for tying the release of his father's tax returns to President Barack Obama's birth certificate.

Thursday Matt Romney responded to a question at a Concord, New Hampshire event about whether his father would release federal tax returns.

"I heard someone suggest the other day that as soon as President Obama releases his grades and birth certificate…then maybe he'll do it," Matt Romney said.

But one day later Matt, who appeared on the stump with his brothers Craig, Tagg, and Josh, backtracked.

"I repeated a dumb joke. My bad," he said in a tweet responding to a Politico reporter.

Mitt Romney, seeking the 2012 Republican nomination for president for the second time, declined to make his tax returns public but said he had nothing to hide, while referencing other candidates who haven't chosen to release theirs as well.

"No other candidates have released their income tax returns at this point," Romney told CNN's "The Situation Room" anchor Wolf Blitzer in an interview Wednesday.

"There's nothing particularly to hide. It's just when people say what disclosures have you made, you say, you follow the law, and you provide that information. I don't put out which tooth paste I use either. It's not that I have something to hide," he continued.

President Barack Obama was dogged by demands to make his long-form birth certificate public following his 2008 election. Hawaii, the state where he was born, traditionally releases a shortened document certifying the birth of state residents to the public. The president released the long form version in April of 2011 in response to extended speculation that he was not, in fact, a U.S. citizen.

- CNN Political Producer Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. george of the jungle

rue mcdowelll you are and idiot. get over the birth certificate crap. Whats wrong with repos have they no brains at all? ol Mitt says religion should not be an issue and then his kid comes out with this remark. Sick of this party.

December 30, 2011 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  2. GI Joe

Hey KID - enlist in one of the services and go to Afghanistan two or three or four tours, then you have earned the right to speak. Until then, your daddy is just buy your lazy butt everything you have.

Where did your father send all of our jobs? I want to see that.

December 30, 2011 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  3. It is Against Ronald Reagan Rule for Myth Romney and his Super PACs Thug to Attack Fellow GOPers

"I repeated a dumb joke. Opps," Matt Romney said in a tweet responding to a Politico reporter.

yelp, corporations are people too, my friend. Opps!!!

December 30, 2011 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  4. DocinPA

I seem to recall some questions about just where Mittens has been filing his taxes, his claimed residency and just where he's voted over the years. I'm pretty sure there's at least one law suit challenging this information. So – not exactly toothpaste.

December 30, 2011 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  5. It is Against Ronald Reagan Rule for Myth Romney and his Super PACs Thug to Attack Fellow GOPers

Matt Romney is NOT very smart like his daddy! He should have known by now that President Obama already released his birth certificate...instead of him to be listening to the news, Matt Romney is living it up in his daddy's multi-million dollar$$$ mansion and refusing to sign up to go join the military and fight in the war his daddy Myth Romney is about to start with Iran....he is just living-large and waiting to occupy the White House as his new playboy mansion!!!

who's your daddy? Myth Romney, corporations are people too, my friend!!!

December 30, 2011 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |