Gingrich's lose-win proposition
January 2nd, 2012

Gingrich's lose-win proposition

Independence, Iowa (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich is resigned to losing tomorrow's Iowa caucuses but he will consider any outcome a victory.

"I don't think I'm going to win. I think if you look at the numbers, I think that volume of negativity has done enough damage," said Gingrich, referring to the millions spent on advertising by his opponents and third party groups that have gone after the former speaker for his ties to mortgage giant Freddie Mac to his position on climate change.

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

After speaking to about a hundred Iowans at the Heartland Acres Agribition Center the former House speaker told reporters, "Whatever I do tomorrow night will be a victory because I'm still standing."

Gingrich has spent the last seven days trying to regain momentum as he campaigns in Iowa. Gingrich has spent $1 million in positive television ads here touting his record and plan to revive the economy.

On Sunday, the former speaker acknowledged he regrets not responding to the negative ads two weeks sooner. His campaign has not countered any of the negative attacks with airtime but Gingrich has indicated he will be drawing much sharper contrasts with rival former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

CNN's Gary Tuchman asked him if he wanted this nomination more than anything. Gingrich said 'anything' is a big term, that he'd want to be with his wife and family, but he's compelled to run out of concern for the country.

"I regard it as a duty, not a pleasure. I regard it as an obligation, not an ambition, and I am prepared to do it and I will do it with everything I've got," Gingrich said in Independence. "But if you said to me, compared to the things we've done over the last 12 years that are fun? This is exciting, it's interesting, it's fascinating. But it's not at the center of my being, it's at the center of my duty."

– Follow Shawna Shepherd on Twitter: @ShepherdCNN

Also see:

Gingrich mulls strategy shift after Iowa

Leading Perry backers head to Iowa for final push

Bachmann: Polls not a good measure of support

Romney goes on offense

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Newt Gingrich
  1. works4me

The volume of negativity speaks volumes of truth. That's what the slimy newt can't seem to address... the truth.

January 2, 2012 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  2. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Address the questions and move on Newt. Whining about the attacks isn't doing you any good. Keep pushing your message and push back on others if you need to. You need to toughen up if you expect to take on the ultimate smear machine, Obama and the Democrats.

January 2, 2012 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  3. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Loose cannon Lizard sunk his poll numbers by running his big mouth. How's that Citizens United thing workin out for ya now Newt?

January 2, 2012 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. Marie MD

Humble pie for the newterman. Just two weeks ago as the flavor of the month he was so sure he was it!
    BTW – his wife plays the tuba? Does that have anything to do with being wife number three? Just asking!

January 2, 2012 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  5. James

Mr "Im going to be the nominee".... Youre a loser Newton. A FAT LOSER!!!!

January 2, 2012 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  6. Jorge UU Boosh

All GOP candiates are a JOKE.

VOTE PRESIDENT OBAMA 2012!

January 2, 2012 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  7. Nancy

Go away, Newtie. You are the poster child for negativity.

January 2, 2012 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  8. Tomis

If there was any doubt its a certainty now. He just basicly told all the "anyone but Romney" voters to go to another candidate.

January 2, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. Slash

Sorry, Newt. You have been exposed as the pathetic, selfish, twisted, lying piece of trash that you are. It's OVER. You will NEVER be President. Go home to your third wife and try your best not to cheat on this one.

January 2, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  10. Pimpson

The negative attacks have soured me on Romney ever further. He clearly doesn't have any plan. Newt is handling this campaign well, which speaks of him being better prepared at this point in time.

January 2, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  11. 'WOW" the nasty media...

The media wants to get the people to see it their way and trying to sway the Peoples' vote....!

January 2, 2012 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  12. petena

Newt is a loser. Keep crying Mr. Victim. It will get you nowhere. Obama 2012.

January 2, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  13. JJ

Gingrich predicted a loss??? LMAO! We told him that months ago! He's like Herman Cain, the flavor of the month, and his month is over too! >8P

January 2, 2012 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  14. Griffin

I like how believing in climate change is a negative thing. AKA rejecting facts is a credential for the GOP. It boggles my mind. The world IS GETTING WARMER AND THE ICE CAPS ARE MELTING. This is empirical data. The only thing up for ANY debate is if humans are responsible. Most scientists agree we are.

January 2, 2012 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  15. nooneknows

Hey Newt, I predict the sun will rise tomorrow morning.

January 2, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  16. hilreal

He could care less whether he wins or loses....only interested in selling books, getting paid enormous fees for speeches and lobbying, and keeping his ratings high.

January 2, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  17. Believer

Newt reminds me of England's prime minister Winston Churchill. Brilliant man who was denounced by his party's old crusty leadership but thee only one capable of defeating the enemy among us. No matter what you think of Newt's past, he is the only proven leader with world level experience.

January 2, 2012 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  18. Anonymous

I predict I will not win the GOP cauvaus vote in iowa. its my duty as an American to say this, therefore I am the person everyone else should vote for.

January 2, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  19. CBR

These caucuses should not push candidates out of the race. The candidates need to face the primaries and the American people who vote in them before a candidate is nominated.

The media has put way too much emphasis on Iowa. The broadcasts do nothing but repeat and repeat what is said, It is time to put the proper amount of emphasis on these caucuses and primaries. Each one should be important, Because a primary is not held until April should not mean that those citizens cannot have a chance to decide who the nominee will be. We need regional primaries.

January 2, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  20. AgrippaMT

How sweet it is to watch Newt crash and burn.

January 2, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  21. NickD2

Thats one way to fo it. I too predict that i will not win the Iowa caucuses and its been my duty as an American to announce that what I've done over the last 12 months is to work my tail off to pay bills and keep my mortgage current.

Gingrich and the GOP are massive hypocrites to whine about Democrats having a smear machine. With all the garbage about birth certificates, muslim hating finger pointing lies they have leveled at our sitting president and with their stated goal of destroying the man as their number one goal, there is no larger and more dishonest smear machine than the republican party.

January 2, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. Demlaughter

The liberals, CNN and Dems should feel good now for this news because Newt is possibly lost, the one can ba rk with Obama in 2012 for his experienced. Rommy is nothing for the race.

January 2, 2012 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  23. Kris

"This is exciting, it's interesting, it's fascinating."

Newt, is that how you started out when your wife was on her death-bed, and you asked for a divorce?

January 2, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  24. JohnK

Romney signed a pedge to "big money" and so "big money" takes out Newt. Just like "swift boat" big money took out John Kerry. So sad too bad.

January 2, 2012 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  25. Jem

Its RON PAUL or U.S. Bankruptcy, More Wars and Many More Dead Solders.

January 2, 2012 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |