Ron Paul: Santorum is 'very liberal'
January 2nd, 2012

Ron Paul: Santorum is 'very liberal'

(CNN) - Ron Paul dinged rival Rick Santorum Monday for being a "very liberal" candidate, saying the former Pennsylvania senator and staunch social conservative voted for too much spending during his time in Congress.

Speaking to CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash before a campaign event with his son, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, the White House hopeful said his rival had taken positions counter to true conservative ideas.

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I mean, have you looked at his record? Go look at his record," Paul said.

He continued: "He spends too much money. He wasn't leading the charge to slash the budgets and vote against big government."

Rand Paul added that Santorum's vote history proved he wasn't a true conservative.

"He voted to double the size of the Department of Education," Rand Paul said. "He voted to expand Medicare and add free drugs for senior citizens and he has voted for foreign aid. Those are not conservative principles. Seventy-seven percent of the American people are opposed to foreign aid and Rick Santorum has voted for it every time it's come down."

Paul also spoke in some of the strongest terms to date about the potential of a third-party bid should he fail to secure the GOP nomination.

"I have no plans in doing that," Paul said. "Tomorrow is a big day. We'll see what happens but I have no intention of doing that, no plans and no desire."

Also see:

Gingrich mulls strategy shift after Iowa

Leading Perry backers head to Iowa for final push

Bachmann: Polls not a good measure of support

Romney goes on offense

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Rand Paul • Rick Santorum • Ron Paul
  1. Brad Cooper

I think it is time now for Ron Paul to start getting like he is a little bit more angry with the reporter! They ask him the same question unlike other candidates were they ask serious questions. Then they find information that is untrue and misleading. So Ron Paul has to educate them about the truth and put them in there place. All the media wants to do is make Ron Paul look bad. It will not happen and people are starting to realize that Ron Paul is right. Ron Paul 2012 or America is screwed.

January 2, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  2. Scott

Ron Paul would tear down our military and leave us defenseless.

January 2, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  3. TucsonJohn

Ron Paul was actually being quite charitable, in my opinion. Santorum is much worse than a liberal. He's a Statist. He believes in spending money we don't have while auctioning his vote to the highest bidder.

Put some thought into the consequences of war rather than play out the neocon dream of this majestic war against Islam? Never.

January 2, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  4. Doug

I am a Paulbot.
    Ron Paul is a God
    Ron Paul is the only person who can save this Nation. Thank God he is here
    Ron Paul is never wrong
    Ron Paul doesn't use the Bathroom
    Anyone who questions my limited opinions is engaging in a straw man argument
    If you question Ron Paul's foreign policy beliefs I will show you my magic eight ball that proves it true
    I wear an anarchy T-Shirt
    I have a medical marijuana card
    I am under 30
    I have very little life experience
    I have limited or slanted education
    All of my foreign policy beliefs are straight from the Ron Paul Playbook.
    I will go out and vote because Ron Paul has a chance to actually win.
    I will filter out any information critical of Ron Paul
    I keep hoping my parents will send me away to be de-programmed.

January 2, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. Mark Augustyn

Ron Paul 2012 = more peace. Rick Santorum 2012 = more war. Who would Jesus bomb Mr. Santorum?? Santorum is the the latest of the status quo republicans the mainstream media is pushing as they fear Ron Paul's growing support.

January 2, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  6. NOT PAUL!

Liberal ?? Good Lord! Ron Paul's Ideas of Foreign Policy (or lack thereof) are extemely Dense.
    The guy is worthless! Anybody but PAUL!

January 2, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  7. Big Ups

The Affirmative Action Expirament has FAILED!!! Time to elect a candidate based on merit and substance. IMPEACH THE PRIMATE BEFORE IOTS TOO LATE!!!

January 2, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  8. RON PAUL = NO MIDDLE CLASS

Ron Pauls Economic Ideals have already been tried out in Countries Like Chile and Argentina with disastarous Results
    Look If you want to live in a country like Ron Paul envisions
    All you have to do is move to Somalia

January 2, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  9. Ethan

I encourage all of the people not for Ron Paul to research his actual positions and his supporting arguments. If, after that, you still do not support him then that is fine but at least educate yourself on non biased facts. I was never into politics. I am in the military. I always said "raise my taxes as long as the country does not go broke". Then, on a whim, I looked up Ron Paul and found out what they say is true. Once you hear his positions AND his reasoning, then look up the non biased facts, you will never vote for anyone else as long as he is running. Look it up and see for yourself. Don't be afraid of what "they" tell you to be afraid of. Ron Paul is so unapologetically principled it could bring you to tears. Oh, and take his critique of Santorum in context. Just the statement "Santorum is a liberal" taken out of context sounds weird but you know Ron Paul has facts ot back it up. He bases everything from facts and history. Santorum is probably a wonderful guy but he votes to give money that is not his to other nations, he votes to send young men and women to die so corporations get international contracts. I would love to defend this country from attacks but I have done nothing but be on the offense. We should have went after the crafters of 9/11 and that is it. Instead, look what we have done. Violated the rights and trust of millions of human beings for major corportations short term gains and the USA's long term loss. We need to be humble and not too proud to admit we make mistakes on foreign policy.

January 2, 2012 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  10. Wilmarso

Free speech doesn't mean it didn't cost something to get it.
    The unprincipled, 'soundbite' type comments so prevalent on the internet only indicate that too many don't appreciate the price paid for the right of free speech.

January 2, 2012 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  11. Supes

Rick Santorum's solution for Iran Nuclear ambitions is to assassinate the Iranian scientists? I bet most of those scientists are forced to do the work. He is not the solution.

January 2, 2012 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  12. jim

You know i've travelled to many Countries and the US is propbably at the top for media manipulation and I'm including China here. Even people in China know that the media is a joke and paid for by the establishment. They don't believe a word that comes out of their square brain washing machine. People in the US seeem to be a bit slow on the realization that they are being told what to think. It's not even good manipulation, they're flat out telling you what to think on CNN MSNBC FOX etc.

January 2, 2012 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  13. RON PAUL = NO MIDDLE CLASS

Always the Same
    If you look at Ron paul Critically
    ^The Paulbots tell you you need to look at him again
    I have looked at Ron Paul At one time I supported the Guy
    Then I found out more than He wants to Legalize Pot and he was against the Iraq War.
    I found out the guy is a racist crack pot whose supporters fall into 4 categories
    -Stoners
    -Racists
    -Ayn Rand Devotees
    -Anti Goverment Conspiracy theorists/militias

January 2, 2012 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  14. Joe Drager

Santorum will do one thing that Paul will not; he will protect this country.

January 2, 2012 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  15. Greg

"Those who follow Paul should immigrate to Somalia."

This is possibly the stupidest attack on libertarianism (also called Classical Liberalism). Libertarianism used to be called "liberalism", which used to mean believing in democracy, capitalism, individual freedom, and limited government. Everyone who opposed monarchy, dictatorship, and Marxism used to call themselves "liberal". I believe every President from Washington to the year 1900 considered themselves liberal (now known as libertarian).

True liberals, ie. libertarians, created the Industrial Revolution and pushed the spread of democracy and capitalism throughout the world that has brought billions of people out of poverty and democracy and freedom to over half the world's population. The fact that democratic socialists and big government conservatives became the two major parties and classical liberalism almost disappeared as a political force since 1928, with the exception of Ronald Reagan, has been a tragedy for America.

Lately it's making a huge comeback. If you believe that the government publishing 80,000 pages of federal regulations every year is an insane and is suffocating our freedom and businesses, then you might be a libertarian. If you believe that the government should mind it's own business as long as you aren't hurting anyone else, then you might be a libertarian. If you would rather have the freedom to buy what you want, work where you want, and do what you want rather than ceding more power over your life to politicians who abuse it in order to get themselves re-elected by providing favors to contributors and special interests, then you might be a libertarian.

January 2, 2012 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  16. Tommy

I find Ron "I'm Wearing Depends" Paul treasonous, and NOT conservative. Just where is this blow hard conservative? Birth rights? I've never heard him take a stance on making abortion illegal, nothing conservative about that. Ron Paul is for q!!u!!e!!e!!r rights, nothing conservative about that. Ron Paul is for the FREE use of any kind of drug that you can put in to your body, nothing conservative about that. Then there is his placement of riders to bills that he knows will pass, then he votes against them, yet he gets his money and projects, nothing conservative about that. And he certainly is no Ronald Regan conservative, because he wants to withdraw from the world, and hide like a scard old man that he is, and let Iran acquire nuclear weapons, nothing conservative about that either. So where is the scared old man conservative?

January 2, 2012 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  17. goodlife

there is only one candidate who dreams, talks, and walks the true american interests of the american people and his name is ron paul. the rest want this nation to be mired in self destruction that is sure to result from their theological madness and biggotry, alien to the americanism we have known and lived all along. they want america to commit its future to mideast on the basis of what their crazy god told them. would you want your children's future blown away just because of strange theological beliefs of your president? newt has already indicated that he, for instance, would appoint a theological nut bolton as his secretary of state! newt, take a hike, ok? we ain't blowing our trillions for crazy beliefs of yours, ok?
    pls show your sense of maturity and responsibility, and elect ron paul who limits his religion within the confines of his church.

January 2, 2012 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  18. Jack

Anyone who calls Ron Paul just another repubulican are the folks who just can't seem to listen for 5 minutes...the xbox/facebook generation. Liberalism/socialism/whatever you want to wrap communist BS in these days is a complete failure. The only thing that has worked for the US is free markets...true free markets, not crony capitalism that has been practiced over the past 40-50 years or more. Dr Paul is not a Republican, he just runs as a Republican because the establishment doesn't/won't allow a true and fair election...this is the only way he has any chance. But make no mistake about it, he is/was and always will be a LIBERTARIAN.

January 2, 2012 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  19. Mr. T. Bag

Ron Paul says, "Screw all those greedy homeless veterans - and the starving children too... Those cry-babies should get a job."

Rand Paul says, "You tell 'em daddy... Now pass me my bong!"

January 2, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  20. Margaret

I know I have a dysfunctional Family, but did you know you have the same as a Country? I cannot believe what I read about these people and their ideas. Billions being spent on who will be "The King of the Hill" and it takes 2 years to come to a conclusion on who that might be. Why can other Countries do this in 6 to 8 weeks and it takes the U.S. 2 years? I guess it's the money.

January 2, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  21. Fair is Fair

"Jon Huntsman appears to be the sharpest pencil in the GOP box."
    -------
    What absolute malarkey. Only an Obama supporter could say such trash. Why, you ask? Because Obama gave him an ambassardorship. For an Obama supporter to speak badly of Huntsmanan would be a defacto bad-mouthing of their man. Do you get it now?

January 2, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  22. Mr. T. Bag

Ron Paul says, "Forget all those greedy homeless veterans - and the starving children too... Those cry-babies should get a job."

Rand Paul says, "You tell 'em daddy... Now write me a prescription for some weed!"

January 2, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. Jack

Ethan, great post and it seems like miitary folks are the ones really thinking these days...your support for Ron Paul is fantastic...one other thing too, young people seem to get it these days (at least the ones that follow Ron Paul). Congratulations on learning how to think for yourself and make intelligent decisions without listening to the MSM and Hollywood...or your X-Box/Twitter followers/Facebook friends...you give me some hope that our country will right the wrongs of the past! Thanks for your support and dedication...a 26 year veteran!

January 2, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  24. Sebastian Xavier

So did Ron Paul's son just get out of a Star Trek convention?

January 2, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  25. Edword

He there be libtards galore.

This will not be your year, slaves.

January 2, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |