Ron Paul: Santorum is 'very liberal'
January 2nd, 2012

Ron Paul: Santorum is 'very liberal'

(CNN) - Ron Paul dinged rival Rick Santorum Monday for being a "very liberal" candidate, saying the former Pennsylvania senator and staunch social conservative voted for too much spending during his time in Congress.

Speaking to CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash before a campaign event with his son, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, the White House hopeful said his rival had taken positions counter to true conservative ideas.

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I mean, have you looked at his record? Go look at his record," Paul said.

He continued: "He spends too much money. He wasn't leading the charge to slash the budgets and vote against big government."

Rand Paul added that Santorum's vote history proved he wasn't a true conservative.

"He voted to double the size of the Department of Education," Rand Paul said. "He voted to expand Medicare and add free drugs for senior citizens and he has voted for foreign aid. Those are not conservative principles. Seventy-seven percent of the American people are opposed to foreign aid and Rick Santorum has voted for it every time it's come down."

Paul also spoke in some of the strongest terms to date about the potential of a third-party bid should he fail to secure the GOP nomination.

"I have no plans in doing that," Paul said. "Tomorrow is a big day. We'll see what happens but I have no intention of doing that, no plans and no desire."

Also see:

Gingrich mulls strategy shift after Iowa

Leading Perry backers head to Iowa for final push

Bachmann: Polls not a good measure of support

Romney goes on offense

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Rand Paul • Rick Santorum • Ron Paul
  1. dufus

@ diridi
    Why do you blame Bush for what happened during the previous administration(democratic majority) but blame GOP congress for the mess in the last 3 years?

January 2, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  2. Calypso

Santorum is many things; Liberal is not one of them.

January 2, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. max

"Doug

I am a Paulbot.
    Ron Paul is a God
    Ron Paul is the only person who can save this Nation. Thank God he is here
    Ron Paul is never wrong
    Ron Paul doesn't use the Bathroom
    Anyone who questions my limited opinions is engaging in a straw man argument
    If you question Ron Paul's foreign policy beliefs I will show you my magic eight ball that proves it true
    I wear an anarchy T-Shirt
    I have a medical marijuana card
    I am under 30
    I have very little life experience
    I have limited or slanted education
    All of my foreign policy beliefs are straight from the Ron Paul Playbook.
    I will go out and vote because Ron Paul has a chance to actually win.
    I will filter out any information critical of Ron Paul
    I keep hoping my parents will send me away to be de-programmed."

Hey Doug,

Thats a great generalization and im sure you actually have facts to back this nonsense up that you spout?

I dont fit any of those categories. I waver about supporting Paul each day. I havent found another candidate that is an actual fiscal conservative though. I havent found a republican candidate that doesnt believe the myth of christianity. I havent found a candidate, including obama, other than paul, that actually believes in freedom and limiting the authority of the federal government. etc etc.

January 2, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. jonnybgood

@diridi

When it comes to "idiots" and "BS", you're well schooled and knowledgeable on those topics since you are both.

January 2, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  5. BigAl

The little general has spoken, oh wait, that isn't ross Perot? Are you sure? Say.... where was Ron Paul all those years the debt was being increased and the government kept getting bigger? What's that? In th e house of reps? The people responsible for the budget, yeah, that's where he was. How much legislation did he get passed to reduce the size of government? What's that? None? You Paul supporters are just liberals hoping Paul gets nominated so Oblamea can get reelected and totally destroy America! FYI, weak kneed sineless lierals are the first people the islamic Brotherhood will kill when Oblamea turns the nation over to them. Just a little heads up.

January 2, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  6. LarryDavidSandwich

It's either Paul or 4 more years of that inept, megalomaniacal community organizer and his merry band of shiftless layabouts.

January 2, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  7. mabear87

The GOP are idiots. All they care about is making up wars and fighting them, so their business friends and weapons people can make money. We went into Iraq for nothing and lost 4000 lives, which should all be paid for by Bush and Cheyney. These people have no ethics, no morals, and embarrasingly claim to be Evangelicals. They are about as Christian as the devil.

January 2, 2012 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. jimzcarz

A light bulb always burns brightest right before it blows.

January 2, 2012 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  9. inblack

Ron Paul was being nice.

Santorum is a big spender and quote "won't cut a dime from overall defense".

A crippled US economy for the sake of playing world police man is a big govt fantasy and a recipe for disater.

Come on Rick "I lost my senate seat by 20%" egomaniac – you do not have leadership skills and you are a fake conservative big government progressive.

January 2, 2012 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  10. florence Reynolds

Oh Boy here they go again what is wrong with the people who call the President a Communist a Socialist a Liberal
    You guys should go live in the dessert near the snakes ,
    Nothing wrong being a Liberal is the XXI century

January 2, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  11. The Greedy Old Pigs have declared class war on US!

"But there is no denying that paying people to not work and taking money from people who do (and ESPECIALLY businesses that would otherwise hire more people) is bad for the economy."

Another person who doesn't understand how the economy works. Businesses do not hire people simply because their tax bills drop. For you to suggest this, when it is consumer demand that drives hiring decisions, shows that you simply have no ability or no desire to learn the truth. And I DO "deny" what you said. When the unemployed have a minimum level of guaranteed purchasing power, that drives consumer demand, which creates or preserves jobs.

January 2, 2012 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. EricCT

Ron Paul's chances of becoming President are.... zero.

January 2, 2012 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  13. fedup

The more exposure Americans have to the GOP candidates the higher the Presidents approval ratings go up. Barack Obama is a river of sanity in a sea of irrationality that is the GOP.

January 2, 2012 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  14. Lost in Texas FOREVER

wow if Rick Santorum is a liberal then thank GOD I'm a moderate. If that is what liberlism is coming to..then I'm getting as close to the center as I can get.

January 2, 2012 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  15. F Daniel Gray

Tell ya what:Doubling the size of the Department of Education, expanding medicare, and free drugs for senior citizens, is NOT any political party's issue. No matter who is in the White House or, dominating congress, those measures will be enacted within the next ten years. Unless those leaders are immune to chaos. The US is not some 3rd world country, which can keep the lid on despite 50% unemployment. Our greatest threat is not the debt, but the potential of large masses of unemployed. It is slowly creeping up to that point. And (now) Ron Paul's posturing (all of the republicans seem to be taking turns doing so) is just more of the same. Do they really want to "win." So far they are handing it to the prez, and would never vote for him. I don't vote for war mongers, and haven't for quite a few decades.

January 2, 2012 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  16. Templar X

The mainstream media is the enemy of the American People!

Ron Paul is the only conservative running for President in 2012.

January 2, 2012 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  17. Good Medicine

Ron Paul is good medicine for the USA.

January 2, 2012 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  18. Andy

The problem with social 'conservatives' is they are all liberals. They want lots of big government programs to work their issues and are quite glad to vote for big government to work more traditionally liberal issues since they like government and always want it telling us what to do.

January 2, 2012 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  19. Steve

You guys realize that Obama will be re-elected. Depending on how much more divided the libertarian and moderate wings of the Republican Party become, we could see the Democratic Party occupy the executive branch for the succeeding two terms as well. The media stewed this one well. I have to hand it to them. First class political engineering. Pay per view politics.

January 2, 2012 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  20. Mike

Dear GOP, please make my day with a Santorum/Perry ticket!!!

January 2, 2012 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  21. Anonymous

Go RON GO . This is the start . we pray for you to be on the top . The best man wins and i know that you always have been the best .

January 2, 2012 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  22. Rebecca

Bankers want Santorum or Obama, both will wage war for the military industrial complex.

January 2, 2012 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  23. Barry

There's no question Paul is to the left of Obama when it comes to foreign policy. The real question is why so many people defend such a insane idea. Anyone who thinks Iran is NOT a threat just can't be taken seriously.

January 2, 2012 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  24. Rich

RON PAUL 2012-2020 the only way we win back our country

January 2, 2012 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  25. Ed Zachary

Once again Ron Paul demonstrates that he is way beyond the fringe. I don't care for Santorum, but to call him a Liberal is to completely misunderstand the political scene in this country.

January 2, 2012 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |