Obama talks to Iowa supporters on caucus night
January 3rd, 2012

Obama talks to Iowa supporters on caucus night

(CNN) - President Barack Obama addressed via video conference several Democratic caucus sites in Iowa Tuesday, four years after winning the state's contest in a surprise victory that fueled his campaign on a path to the nomination.

"We've still got a lot of work to do. But think about the change that was accomplished because of those caucuses four years ago," Obama said.

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Among the accomplishments he listed since taking office, Obama touted the withdrawal of troops from Iraq, the passing of health care reform and the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

The president joked that he has since grown more "gray" but said he's more optimistic about the ideas of "hope and change" that he trumpeted in his last run.

"We've already seen change take pace," Obama said. "2012 is about reminding the American people how far we've traveled."

Obama took part in the video conference from the Capital Hilton in Washington, using a system called Adobe Connect.

His comments came as results poured in from the Republican Iowa caucuses, the first GOP presidential nominating contest of the cycle.

Taking questions from supporters, Obama took a shot at Republicans for supporting "tax cuts for the wealthiest among us."

"It's going to be a big battle, though," he added. "I hope you guys are geared up. I'm excited."

While the Republican candidates have been campaigning heavily in the Hawkeye State for much of the last year, national Democrats and the Obama re-election team have also been laying down a strong network across the state ahead of the general election in November.

In 2008, Obama won Iowa by nine percentage points over Sen. John McCain.

According to the Iowa Democratic Party, more than 25,000 Democrats turned out to caucus on Tuesday, with more than 7,500 people signing up to volunteer for the Obama team.

"We not only saw how excited Iowans are to support President Obama, but to also work for his reelection. The Iowa caucus was a great opportunity to test our campaign organization and expand our volunteer base as we move toward November," said the party's Iowa chairwoman, Sue Dvorsky, in a statement.

– CNN's Jessica Yellin contributed to this report.

Also see:

Gingrich: Romney is lying

Bachmann looks ahead to South Carolina

Gingrich suggests a Tuesday win

Gingrich strives for 'great upset' in Iowa

Filed under: 2012 • Democrats • Iowa • President Obama
  1. wanderer

President Obama might have not done a great job and I was thinking whether he will have my vote in the next general election. However, since the GOP congress has done nothing but just been trying to stop his ideas and plans I can now see clearly that the reason why the president has not been able to get things done was mainly because the GOP congress wanted the president to fail. I think the GOP congress and the GOP presidential candidates have been helping the president to be reelected.

January 4, 2012 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  2. Butter My Butt And Call Me a Biscuit

I am a tree-hugging, bleeding-heart, fire-breathing progressive liberal devout Democrat and am PROUD of it. I am here to join in the fray against the evil Teapublicons. Go Obama/Biden 2012...Go Hillary 2016....Go Democrats!

January 4, 2012 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  3. willie floyd

We're with you 110% Mr. President. We don't need Reps. in congress or the White House.

January 4, 2012 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  4. Marla

I'm in!!
    OBAMA 2012!!!

January 4, 2012 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  5. Ambrose Smith

Santorum?? Really?? Obama has 2012 locked up! I almost feel sorry for Romney.

January 4, 2012 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  6. sue

i'm torn here.
    not sure if he will win or not. part of me hopes he does, i like how he stands on social issues, but fiscally he scares me. he likes to spend too much. i wonder if he'll let his girls spend and spend and spend and then borrow and spend some more.

January 4, 2012 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  7. Debbie Lee

How could anyone expect Pre. Obama to work miracles in just 4yrs after Bush did so much damage 8yrs long! Re-elect Obama in 2012 & give him more time to make changes,even though it's an up hil climb. Lets climb together!

January 4, 2012 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  8. Jeff in Oregon

I like Obama. Good Man

January 4, 2012 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  9. jon

President Obama 2012 has my vote and my family.

January 4, 2012 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  10. eville_11

optomistic; as if you'd come out and say you're depressed?
    unemployment still high. economy unstable, ready to tank again as soon as the EU fails. S&P downgrading your trade partners left and right and your country is in the line of fire. Iran being uppity, Iraq snubbed your extension plan. Egypt is going Sharia Law, Iraq will too. Libya is looking like a home away from home for Terrorists. Afghan is asking Paki Taliban for support. National debt at record levels and still rising. But yea, be optomistic, because you can blame congress and the GOP for your problems, and no one is running against you from the dems.

January 4, 2012 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  11. Kay

Agree with the above comments, even the ones who is HATING on THE PREZ! I have your back MR PRESIDENT so let us do the damn thing in 2012 :-).....................................

January 4, 2012 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  12. DJ

Hey Chris, Bugs said "what a maroon" because that's what Bugs Bunny said instead of "moron". There are, of course, a dozen ways I could go with the "burn" portion of this message, but I think you've learned your lesson. But... no, I can't let you off that easy, because not only did you miss the reference, you spelled moron "maron". And there's the fun part, Chris. You provided your own burn line.

January 4, 2012 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  13. gmh

I cannot go back to where we were in 2008. Corporate American greed got us into the Great Recission and Corporate America has Romeny in their back pockets. Other candidates want too much of their religion in our government which is controls too much of our personal lives..........I staying on board with the President..........Progress comes slow but at least we are headed in the right direction.

January 4, 2012 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  14. dallas.alphonso

I am petty sure he is a lot smarter than most, if not all of us on here, lol 'D

January 4, 2012 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  15. Confused

Did he get a haircut or more gray hair over the last few days or something?

January 4, 2012 02:51 am at 2:51 am |
  16. Iamnotfooled

I have faith in Iowa to do the right thing and re-elect President Obama. This country would be well on its way if not for the obstructionists he has had to deal with. Anyone following politics daily knows this. Also to go back to Republican policies that got us into this mess is crazy. We need regulations to stop these corporations from ripping us off and sending our jobs overseas. Given another 4 years and Democrats to help him in Congress he will succeed.

January 4, 2012 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  17. Name

Obama all day!!

January 4, 2012 03:20 am at 3:20 am |
  18. John Brown

Mitt is exactly like Meg Whitman. He is the face of corporate greed.

He does not care about little people. These Republican think we "little people" stupid or what??

He only won by 8 votes!! Can you believe that?? 8 votes!! I am wondering who are these 8 peoples that voted for him?

How is he going to beat Obama with that 8 votes??

It is very disappointment!!

January 4, 2012 03:21 am at 3:21 am |
  19. Republican Grand Ma

Mitt is going to cancel my Social Security and Medicare!! So believe me! I won't vote for him.

Where can I get the money to pay for my milk??

Who is going to pay my medical bills?

These Republican candidates are not only crazy but nuts!!

I will tell everyone at Bingo night!! Don't vote for them!!

I'd rather give my vote for Obama!!

January 4, 2012 03:26 am at 3:26 am |
  20. glassman64

People please wake up. The GOP has given this country NO SOLUTIONS! Their solution to fixing the economy is ending President Obama's term and giving tax breaks to people who don't need them. They promised jobs during midterm election. WHERE ARE THE JOBS??? They promise relief to struggling families. WHERE IS THE RELIEF??? They their campaigns on fear and lies. Remember the old saying " if you tell a lie long enough sooner or later you'll believe its true. Wrong! Wake up America we need a President who will fight for all people not a selected few. George Bushed and his republican clans ruined this economy not our President its a lie!

January 4, 2012 03:37 am at 3:37 am |
  21. George

I am more convince than ever that Obama/Biden is the surest bet to get the US surging forward!

January 4, 2012 03:44 am at 3:44 am |
  22. D for Dtown Democrat

It seems all the Republicans seem to offer are talking points to win back this country,we all live and thrive in. Tell us what real solutions do they really have to offer besides anything opposing this President ideals for success,and the lack of help from congress. I AM VERY SURE those who oppose this President are very well benefitting from his policies,which they believe have failed. THEY FAIL to admit the numbers have fallen in jobs creattion,troops have been withdrawn and oh we President Obamas policys help kill Osama,something the previous administration failed to do! So before you fail to recognize the success of this current administration, I suggest you check the facts,before spewing lies.Sorry,but we don't enjoy the thought of you all taking our country back to the 1950's. We are all Americans and we all work,live and thrive is this country, built by our ancestors and not just created by your for fathers and the constitution.

January 4, 2012 04:44 am at 4:44 am |
  23. Open Your Eyes!

Dear Fellow Americans: President Obama is The Only Choice for 2012 IF you want to Save America. Should you, your family and friends choose to vote Republican and that candidate wins, We will see and be in WWIII. Republicans speak of limiting govt, YET they are wanting to enforce old laws on the books or ones which have been revoked, ie., what goes on PRIVATELY in one's home in the bedroom. Think back, folks. There were/are laws in the books preventing interracial marriages; encouraging & accepting SLAVERY. These so-called "Christians" are spawns of Evil! Jesus taught Love, Not War! Jesus asked, "Why do you call me good? There is only ONE which is Good and that is God." The "Trinity" is of Evil/Satan. "Christians" worship Jesus {a Prophet} & the Holy Spirit. Catholics worship Mary, Jesus, the various "saints" & God. GOD ALONE is the creator, protector, & sustainer of all! OBAMA is the one which will continue getting America & the world back on the Right Path! I implore You, Get & Keep Republicans OUT of office! They're addicted to War$, Oil$, & $lavery! Why else will they not tax the $1%?? ONE LAW FOR ALL! Go to a Bible, folks! Go to other religions "Bibles". English is the "Pure Language" All Will Speak. Be prepared for more horrific events around the world & here in the states. God is ANGRY! The world "leaders" are agents of Evil. Chavez is correct: Agent Orange. Murders & posionings Must Stop! Repubs have taken US, through out history, from being "Under God". Currently we, due to previous 'leaders', Are The Great Satan! Obama 2012 to try continue correcting Our, as a whole, Evil Ways! Individual Choices & Consequences! ONE LAW FOR ALL! Read Isaiah, Samuel, & Kings! Obama IS getting rid of corruption, in gov't & elsewhere. KEEP/Get Republicans OUT OF OFFICE! PEACE & LOVE, as Jesus taught, & worship of GOD ALONE! Jesus was a prophet! Paul was a liar & enemy of "Christians" & Jesus. Research & do your homework!! I pray your eyes & ears will Open to Gods words & laws! WORSHIP GOD ALONE!

January 4, 2012 05:04 am at 5:04 am |
  24. Change

President Obama will be the first US President to win all 50 states in 2012. Don't believe it? I'm an insider and boy, do we have a surprise for you guys. Hold your breaths cause history is in the making.

January 4, 2012 05:28 am at 5:28 am |
  25. diridi

I told long time ago....Romney win is Obama gain. Evangelicals never even vote, so they voted Santurum....o.k, True. Flip-Flopper ships jobs overseas just like Bain Capital...

January 4, 2012 05:48 am at 5:48 am |