January 5th, 2012

Boston Globe backs Huntsman

(CNN) - Five days before New Hampshire's first-in-the-nation primary, The Boston Globe gave its nod to Republican presidential hopeful Jon Huntsman, saying he offers the Republican Party an opportunity to "renew itself."

"Rather than merely sketch out policies, he articulates goals and ideals," the Massachusetts paper said of the former Utah governor. "The priorities he would set for the country, from leading the world in renewable energy to retooling education and immigration policies to help American high-tech industries, are far-sighted."

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The endorsement comes at a crunch-time boost for Huntsman, who has struggled to break past single digits in political polls of likely voters.

The paper, published in the state that front-runner Mitt Romney governed from 2003 to 2007, compared the two governors, arguing their economic and foreign policy records stand in sharp contrast.

The Globe especially took aim at Romney's attacks on Obama, calling them "hyperbolic." The paper cited Romney claims that the president favors European-style socialism and apologizes for America.

"He's trying to stir up enough dust to suggest a passionate denunciation of Obama without offering a disciplined critique or alternative course," the editorial read.

Meanwhile, the paper stated that Huntsman, who was most recently the U.S. Ambassador to China, is the most suited of the GOP candidates to "promote global economic strength" and security through "peace and prosperity."

"Rather than outline a vision for a safer world," it said, other candidates "signaled a return to Bush-era posturing and disdain for allies who don't blindly serve American interests."

The Boston Globe, the largest newspaper in the mostly Democratic state, also lauded Huntsman's more moderate views on evolution and global warming, two fields in which Huntsman says he relies on science.

"He has stood up far more forcefully than Romney against those in his party who reject evolution and the science behind global warming," the paper said.

- CNN's Ashley Killough and Gregory Wallace contributed to this report.

Also see:

DNC highlights old Romney-McCain tension

Gingrich hones message in New Hampshire

Santorum raises more than $1 million in one night

Huntsman to air first TV spot

Perry will 'reset the campaign' in South Carolina, adviser says

Filed under: 2012 • Jon Huntsman
  1. 2loose2trek

This is a great thing. Huntsman is the only candidate who actually thinks before he talks. He appeals to the Democratic base that leans toward moderation and could sway a lot of votes from Obama. None of the other candidates have done anything to try and win anyone but the Right-wing nutjobs and the teabaggers. Clearly Huntsman is a legitimate candidate (which is probably his kiss of death) He is far too articulate to represent the current state of the GOP.

January 6, 2012 07:02 am at 7:02 am |
  2. Grim Reaper

Huntsman is the candidate most feared by the Obama administration. He is the most credible and qualified person for the job. Then again, Hilary Clinton was the most qualified in the last election and look how that worked out.

January 6, 2012 07:09 am at 7:09 am |
  3. WWRRD

Finally, There is someone out there in the media world with some common sense. Thanks
    BG!

January 6, 2012 07:11 am at 7:11 am |
  4. Jenn

I consider myself a democrat but I would vote for John Huntsman, he is intelligent, dignified and offers real solutions instead of just bashing his opponents. Republican voters should take a serious look at him, he could sway a lot of Democrats like myself to vote for him.

January 6, 2012 07:37 am at 7:37 am |
  5. sick of republican phonies

Huntsman IS the only thoughtful, half-way decent, and intelligent repub candidate out there. As such, he has absolutely no chance of winning the nomination.

January 6, 2012 07:38 am at 7:38 am |
  6. Anon

Huntsman is the best of a mediocre GOP field this time around.

January 6, 2012 07:42 am at 7:42 am |
  7. Ted

Well, I'm a democrat, and I was going to vote for Obama, but Jon Huntsman is a possible alternative for me, the only alternative actually since the rest of the Republican candidates are laughable at best.

January 6, 2012 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  8. David

The Republican voters are not smart enough to give Huntsman a good look. That's the bottom line.

January 6, 2012 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  9. eddieb

Huntsman is the only GOP I would vote for. I do not agree with the evolution thing but that ain't going to create jobs.

January 6, 2012 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  10. Ginger

Everyone should take a look at Jon Huntsman, I believe he is the real deal!

January 6, 2012 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  11. lmori

An endorsement from the most liberal newspaper in the most liberal state in the union. Yes, I'm sure that's exactly what a republican primary candidate is looking for.

January 6, 2012 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  12. Dennis B.

I would like to see the Tea Party radicals wiped out in the 2012 election and then see Huntsman run in 2016. He is the only Republican out there who makes any sense.

January 6, 2012 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  13. Barry

Unfortunately, the reason that Huntsman is trailing so poorly in the GOP contest is precisely because he has not shifted his ideology towards the right. He can never capture the nomination precisely because of this. Romney,. like McCain before him, has learned his lessons. The GOPs ever rightward drift further to the right means no true centrist can be a candidate for that party.

January 6, 2012 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  14. Cody

Wow. Thank you Boston Globe... but I highly doubt you speak for most Republicans. In fact, I would say you just offended a lot of your own party. I commend you for that! It's unfortunate that he is a long shot, even with a great political resume and record of actually implimenting solutions to problems. I'm not sure governing Utah (not offense Utah), is anything like the United States but he did a good job at it and seems to be a very smart man. I won't say I agree with most of his policies – I am after all a Democrat -but I respect them and I know he isn't going to do something like Santorium and just declare he's going to massively lower all taxes and balance the budget without reducing spending.

January 6, 2012 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  15. SFC Retired

Good for the Boston Globe. While Huntsman will never win, the Globe picked the smartest candidate out of the bunch. However, the Republicans don't want a candidate that can spell science!

January 6, 2012 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  16. GetTheeToaSanitorium

He's WAY too sane to get the Republican nomination.

January 6, 2012 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  17. Howard

I'm a Democrat, but if there has to be a Republican President, I'd be far happier with Jon Huntsman than any of the others.

January 6, 2012 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  18. Bart

Huntsman, if chosen, is best to unseat Obama. He just makes the most sense. He hasn't flip-flopped and isn't crazy.

January 6, 2012 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  19. craig

The Boston Globe must NOT want Huntsman tio win. What next........the Huffington Post?

January 6, 2012 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  20. GBM

Huntsman is a true class act, and statesman. Too bad for the GOP to side teabagger neocons.

January 6, 2012 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  21. HenryB

The problem is that he is running as a Republican when we know that the Republicans stand for neanderthal thinking and do not have the capacity to be even the slightest able to think and analyze. He would do better as a Democrat and probably would be welcome there.

January 6, 2012 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  22. Ken Andrews

Huntsman is they only Republican candidate that I would consider. He could get me vote.

January 6, 2012 08:35 am at 8:35 am |