Soledad Reports: Emotional voter takes election seriously
January 5th, 2012

Soledad Reports: Emotional voter takes election seriously

Note: Watch "Starting Point" with Soledad O'Brien weekdays from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. ET on CNN and check back here as she files reports from New Hampshire.

Manchester, New Hampshire (CNN) - Shannon Desilets is a physical therapist from Pembroke who has a 5th grader. She says she is taking this election very seriously and gets very emotional about it.

"I feel like we've lost our core beliefs and values," she said.

She says she is tired of not being heard.

"We need someone in there who we can trust and who serves the people. If only Congress could live the life of a middle class citizen," she said. "Maybe then changes would be heard."

Shannon begins to cry when she talks about how much her small business struggles, how she has to decide which bill has to be paid first. She works with children with disabilities and people with chronic issues, practicing a method of therapy called the Masgutova method. She feels like she makes a difference in her patients' lives but can't afford her own.

"I can't pay my bills right now so how am I going to even think about college," she said. "Government seems corrupt to me."

She has not yet decided who to vote for because there is a piece of each candidate that she likes and dislikes. Voting for Obama is not an option for her, she says, because health care costs just keep going up and she feels his healthcare plan is at fault.

"I believe things can change," she added. "But I'm not sure how."

Filed under: 2012 • New Hampshire
  1. bobjfs

Gee, I wonder where all that money for therapy will come from if the GOP shuts down all that taxpayer-funded Medicaid? Now, there's something to cry about, too!

January 5, 2012 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  2. LogicRules

After living in Massachusetts under Romney's rule, there isn't a bigger hypocrite in the political arena today. Romney will say anything, never admit any failings, and fight only for his base....and remember, corporations are people too!

January 5, 2012 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  3. shoegazer

"I believe things can change,"she added."But I'm not sure how." Seems to be a sentiment shared by millions of people worldwide.

January 5, 2012 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

from the article:

-------------–
    Poor woman has been bamboozled into believing that the ACA started health care costs to rise.. I guess that she simply didn't notice that health care costs have rising like rockets for the past few decades because care providers need to cover the the costs of the increasing numbers of people without health care coverage.

January 5, 2012 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  5. Obama 2012

Heath care costs have gone up because of Obama? No dear lady, they have gone up because of corporate greed. Health insurance companies are profitting from you as are drug companies. We don't have 'wellness care' we have 'sick care'. The more sick they can keep you the more money they make!

January 5, 2012 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  6. Thomas Dalton

I get more laughs when I see Democrats and Republicans at each other and its gotten to the point where I know what to expect.

January 5, 2012 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  7. eli

She should do actual research as to why our healthcare costs are so high. Another woman voting against her self interest.

January 5, 2012 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  8. Get Real

"Voting for Obama is not an option for her, she says, because health care costs just keep going up and she feels his healthcare plan is at fault."

Typical ignorant Republican voter. The bulk of Obama's healthcare plan has not been implemented yet. Her healthcare costs are going up because her healthcare provider is GREEDY. PERIOD.

January 5, 2012 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  9. Larry L

Obama caused her health plan to go up? Does she even know how to read? Republicans had no plan and their "ideas" only benefited the insurance companies and HMOs. Under their system children could get dropped or refused insurance because of disabilities. Is she aware that Republicans haven't voted in favor of a single issue supporting the middle class if it meant causing the wealthy to spend any of their money? If she chooses to not even consider voting for President Obama she has issues beyond healthcare of the plight of the middle class. I would tell her to look at the obstructionist activities of the Republicans in Congress (95 filibusters in the Senate) and see who is blocking progress.

January 5, 2012 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  10. Logic in LA

Oh please! "Our core beliefs and values"? I think she means HER core values. Congress is corrupt. I do agree with her on this, but to vote for new President because of Congress is foolish. That my core value- get rid of congress

January 5, 2012 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  11. Betty

Voting for Obama is not an option for her, she says, because health care costs just keep going up and she feels his healthcare plan is at fault. Wait for Romney ( BS flip-flop-er) he will give you the same or maybe worse.

January 5, 2012 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  12. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

This is one reason to limit the money in politics. More people could run for office. This is also an arguement for term limits as well which I am not so in favor of right now.

January 5, 2012 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  13. LL

His health care plan hasn't been implemented yet. How can it be the cause of rising health care costs? and didn't her health care costs go up the same rate under Bush?? um... yes they did, that's why reform was pretty much the only option. arrrrrggggghhhhhh. Educate yourself!

January 5, 2012 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |