BLITZER's BLOG: Running for president is a family affair
January 6th, 2012

BLITZER's BLOG: Running for president is a family affair

(CNN) – I remember interviewing Hillary Clinton near the end of her very grueling run for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2008. She had been on the campaign trail for a long time. She had worked really hard, especially in the final months as Barack Obama was challenging her. You could see the strain she was under.

During those tough times, her daughter, Chelsea, suddenly had become very visible on the campaign trail. She spoke for her mother all the time, often introducing her at campaign events, and did very well. You could see how proud Hillary Clinton was.

FULL STORY

1. Rudy NYC

I guess that's why they are called the first family.
    I would hate to imagine seeing "The Bundys" from "Married With Children" living in the White House.

January 6, 2012 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  2. Sniffit

"Running for president is a family affair"

How appropo...I've always considered the GOPers/Teatrolls to be an incestuous bunch of inbreds.

January 6, 2012 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

We believe in America Romney. We believe in what it stands for: freedom, equal opportunity, diversity, fairness, hope, among other things. This is why you will not get anywhere near the White House in 2012. We will see to it. You can continue to have your fake match ups with President Obama in your little ads because that's about as close as you'll get to him also.

January 6, 2012 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  4. Woman In California

I'm no Clinton fan but I do admire the way Chelsea Clinton handled herself during the 2008 campaign. To my knowledge she never said incendiary things about (then candidate Obama) she only told you why her mother should be president. and what her mother's policies would be. Quite honestly, I was very impressed at her demeanor and her dialogue. Those rotten, undisciplined, DISRESPECTFUL brats of Romney could really learn from Ms. Clinton but they won't because they have been taught money gives them certain rights (including evading military service) which is EXACTLY why they will never reside in the WH.

January 6, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  5. GI Joe

How dare you compare a decent family like the Clinton's to a cultist family like the Romneys.. How dare you.

January 6, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  6. The Greedy Old Pigs have declared class war on US!

More worthless reporting from CNN that focuses on the irrelevant details of campaigning instead of the important issues like how the neocon elites hidden among the 1% run the GOBP deathcult and will do everything, legal or otherwise, to obstruct the wishes of the TWO THIRDS OF AMERICA that wants an end to the Bush tax cuts for the filthy rich and a millionaire's surtax. This is the KEY issue in the elections. All else is theater and diversions.

January 6, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  7. vic , nashville ,tn

Wolf, First time I have to disagree with you

Hillary Clinton was real candidate. Every second she energized us, 2008 I was republican she impressed me lot. we felt we have to hear more Chelsea Clinton. We felt Clintons are part of our family

This year I don’t feel any thing , no enthusiasm. Just we want to get over it

January 6, 2012 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  8. Where is Romney Mormon support? Why are they hiding?

A potato could win the GOP nominee. Here what you do. You get a bunch of FoxsNews rightwing reality personel that loves the spotlight. You grab you popcorn and sit back and watch these idiots destroy each other, then walk to nominee finish line.

January 6, 2012 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  9. vote the Tea Party OUT in 2012

so I wonder if those on the left will start attacking Mrs. Romney and the kids like the right did to Mrs. Obama and still does? Sometimes it might be best for the kids to stay in the background because as much as I don't care for Sarah Palin I don't think it was fair for her kid to be attacked in the media as they were some times.

January 6, 2012 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  10. Marie MD

Isn't he missing a son in that picture? Is that son now serving in the military? Probably not.
    It's funny how these folks bring out their families. Those values!

January 6, 2012 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  11. Sniffit

"Ron Paul. The only candidate with any consistency or integrity"

Not true. Santorum has a consistency: FROTHY.

January 6, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  12. Sniffit

Two words every reporter, interviewer, random audience member asking a question, etc., should be saying to Mittens until he caves in and complies: TAX RETURNS. That's it. Say nothing else. "Tax returns." "Uh, well, I told you I wasn't going to produce them even I become the nominee." "Tax returns." "That's not a question." "Tax returns?" "Why do you keep just saying 'tax returns'?" "Tax returns." "Look, if you're just going to keep bothering me to produce my tax returns like every candidate has done for the past several decades, then I'm just going to run away like a chickensh-t." "Tax returns." "I'm warning you...this interview is over if you say it one more time." "TAX RETURNS." NOBODY should consider him serious until that's on the table. He wants to point fingers, avoid questions about what he'd do by instead answering with attacks Obama and the Dems, blabber falsely during stump speaches about creating 100K jobs by ignoring all the jobs he destroyed, accuse people of "class warfare" against the rich despite the rich having grown insanely richer while everyone else got poorer over the past 3+ decades, etc.? Fine. Let's have the REAL discussion. WHAT'S YOUR EFFECTIVE TAX RATE MITTENS AND HOW WOULD YOUR PROPOSED TAX PLAN EFFECT YOUR OWN TAXES?

January 6, 2012 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  13. Wire Palladin, S. F.

The Beverly Hillbillies reality show, starring the Romneys, coming to a theater near you.

January 6, 2012 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  14. Lynda/Minnesota

Love the banner. Believe In America. Yes, Mitt, believing in America is something we can all agree on.

I'll take it one step further ... I also believe Mitt Romney will never be President of the United States. Except maybe in his dreams. (I'll leave it at that - Mitt Romney dreams are a bit too much to even think about.) Probably counts dollars signs to boot. You know the routine ... One one million ... Two one million ... Three one million. I wonder if he ever makes to 250 before he dozes off?

January 6, 2012 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

This year I don’t feel any thing , no enthusiasm. Just we want to get over it
    ------------------------
    Sorry you feel that way vic. Most of us are super-energized trying to ensure that The Best of the Best that the GOP has to offer in this election get NOWHERE NEAR THE WHITE HOUSE. We are fired up about making sure that the progress that's been made and NOT stymied by the Republicans is maintained and built upon. We have seen the true face of the Tea Party infected GOP and it is not the face we want representing us with foreign powers, looking out for our national interests,nor God-forbid anywhere near a nuclear button or in charge of our military . They have limited vision,limited intelligence, and NO interest whatsoever in improving the general well-being of 99% of the populace. I could go on, but let me just reiterate how truly sorry I am that you are not feeling the same sense of civic urgency this time around.
    Obama 2012. Seriously America.

January 6, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  16. Sarah

Rudy NYC – Excellent. But imagine the First Daughter !!!

January 6, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  17. Sarah

Sniffit – And what of President Obamas records that he refuses to put on display ?

January 6, 2012 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  18. HH

Wolf Herman Cain has his own agenda, he is getting free advertising from CNN, he's a Creep, for now on when I see his face I will change the channel for 10 mins then turn back. Love the work you do.

January 6, 2012 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  19. Sarah

Dominican mama 4 Obama
    Maybe when you become "American mama 4 Obama" we will take you seriously.

January 6, 2012 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  20. Anonymous

Good point about Flipper's AWOL tax returns, sniffit.

January 6, 2012 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  21. Sniffit

"Sarah

"

Huh? He released his returns in 2008 when he ran and will no doubt do so again in 2012 so he can opund Mittens into political carpaccio with it. And before you go all "but Obama's in the 1% too!!!!!", keep in mind this important distinction: Obama's been fighting to raise his own taxes and proposing reforms that would prevent people like himself and Mittens from paying smaller percentages than middle class families....Mittens has been arguing the exact opposite and his proposed tax plan puts that in undeniable black and white.

January 6, 2012 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  22. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Sarah you intolerance and ignorance is showing.
    Ever hear of the Melting Pot? Probably not.

January 6, 2012 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  23. roadwarrior

i personally dont care for any of the gop except for huntsman but anyone would be better than the loser we have now

January 6, 2012 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  24. roadwarrior

hey rudynyc instead of the bundies we got the jeffersons

January 6, 2012 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  25. PittUSMC

Look, a whole family of privileged sissyboys. They will probably be cowardly chickenhawks like their father.

January 6, 2012 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |