Paul: Would be fun to bring supporters to convention
January 6th, 2012

Paul: Would be fun to bring supporters to convention

(CNN) - Ron Paul said Friday he thought it sounded "fun" to use his fiercely-committed backers to influence the Republican Party's platform at this summer's GOP national convention in Tampa.

Paul, speaking with CNN Chief National Correspondent John King, was speculating about his path forward should he not win the 2012 GOP nomination. Interviewed for "John King USA" in Nashua, New Hampshire, Paul said it would be "difficult, but not impossible" to beat a path to victory should former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney win the New Hampshire and South Carolina primaries.

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"That's still only two primaries, but history shows if you do that you are in a pretty strong position. But we haven't had the first primary yet, we've had the caucus, so things can happen," Paul continued.

One option if he doesn't win the nomination would be to bring his supporters to the convention to try and exert influence on the GOP's platform.

"It might be a way to promote the things I believe in, and that is a political action," Paul said. "So yes, if we have something to say, who knows, maybe they might even have something in the platform that says maybe we ought to look at the Federal Reserve. Maybe we ought to reconsider not going to war unless there's a declaration of war. That's very popular with the American people."

Jesse Jackson took that approach at the 1988 Democratic convention, when he brought supporters of his presidential bid to exert influence on the party's platform.

Paul rejected the notion he was promoting an ideological movement rather than making a serious bid for office, saying the two weren't mutually exclusive.

"Why can't I do both?" Paul asked. "Some people take it out of context because I emphasize the movement and the philosophy and what I've done for all of these years. At the same time I run. I started off that way and was elected twelve times. We're having fairly good success right now, and you have to figure there's a path to victory."

Paul said the young people fueling his presidential campaign were drawn to the message of personal freedom.

"I think they know what freedom means, and that's what I talk about," Paul said. "And they know when I talk about debt, they know they're getting a bad rap on this. And they don't like war and they see that we've gone into war too often and they bear the burden, financially as well as young people will be sent over. So it's a message I think that's instinctively popular with a lot of people."

Also see:

Huntsman hits Romney ahead of N.H. primary

Boston Globe backs Huntsman

FIRST ON CNN: Santorum to make large ad buy in South Carolina

Santorum tangles with Gingrich, same-sex marriage supporters

McCain courting former South Carolina backers for Romney

Filed under: 2012 • Ron Paul • TV-John King U.S.A.
  1. DENNA

Yes, please do that. In fact, have your supporter make a big deal about you. Make a fuss, wreck everything. As an Obama supporter, the more the GOP implodes, the funnier it is. :-)

January 6, 2012 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  2. Larry in Houston

Mr. Paul -I honestly Hope You go very far, because I would actualyl Vote for you, if you become the nomineee. But, unfortunately, the big money republicans are going to do everything they can, to keep you out. I think they are figuring that after Florida, you will fizzle out. But we can only Hope. All the others on that stage is completely worthless, after seeing and hearing them.As a Registered Democrat, Although I will end up voting a straight ticket, since I'm in a republican state, my gut feeling is the media will "boost" Romney into the nomination. So -that being said, he will probably be our nxt Prez.

January 6, 2012 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  3. Wire Palladin, S. F.

I watched his son's rabid supporters stomp on a 90 pound female at one of Rand's political events. Not much good comes from crazy people.

January 6, 2012 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  4. Mikey

Is there a limit on the number of nut cases that can be in the same place at the same time? Since the GOP has decended into an idiots club, I'm sure the Convention will exceed the limit, if one exists. When the the proud Grand Old Party become the party of selfishness, calousness, ignorance?

We need both parties to check one another. What do you do if one party has decended into a bunch of irrational fools?

January 6, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  5. Woman In California

Some fighter.

January 6, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  6. Wire Palladin, S. F.

I see that Eric Cantor is taking credit for 22 consecutive months of private sector job growth under Obama. He seems to think it is because a republican will be elected in November. That boy is delusional.

January 6, 2012 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  7. Rick McDaniel

He simply doesn't want to admit defeat.

January 6, 2012 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  8. Justin

My generation are the ones taking on this country in the near future. Im sorry, bu most of us do not want to pay back this massive debt that nobody wants to do anything about.

Go Ron Paul! The only man with a plan.

January 6, 2012 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  9. Larry in Houston

I can also understand why You have most of the younger voters. Hopefully you can get more of the middle age & oler voters. It seems like the young people are smarter than the others. Whomever we get IN the white house, come nxt November, (or January) will have to deal with that 15 Trillion dollar debt – whether it is a dem – or repub. Allthe others on that stage are not only worthless, but a bunch of clowns, and will do anything to get ppl to vote for them. They all talk like they will reduce the debt by a trillion in 8 yrs – or 10 yrs – or 15 yrs. That's a bunch of Baloney ! In 2.5 more years , the debt will rise by Another Trillion ! We cannot sustain it, period, and nobody seems to care. except Ron Paul. Bottom Line is : WE'RE SUNK !! Either we have to do away with the dollar as it is now, or we will be in debt forever, period. If that happens, the dollar will eventually be worth a few pennies, ( if that) (We're Sunk. ) as a Nation)

January 6, 2012 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  10. dagoberto

Ron Paul 2012

January 6, 2012 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  11. Larry L

Young people are drawn to Paul's message because it's simplistic and they lack the experience required to understand the complexity of the problems. For example – you can't defend America with four submarines. Isolationism and anarchy won't work in the real world – just ask Somalia.

January 6, 2012 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  12. ThinkAgain

It'd be great if they came – then the whole world could see them for the self-centered loonybins they all are!

January 6, 2012 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  13. Zack

RON PAUL 2012!!! Say no to the political autocracy of the GOP and DNC.

January 6, 2012 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  14. paul

Go Ron Paul 2012

January 6, 2012 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  15. Molly

IIt is time for this old man to retire and go back to Texas. And why does Texas produce these loonies to run for President?

January 6, 2012 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  16. dave

i hnave supported democratic candidates for 30+ years i voted for Obama and was very hopefiul when he won. Historically since bOBBY was murdered, my preferred candidate was never nominated ( in fact usually my least favorie candidate is nominate0 until Obama broke that streak. Perhaps the disappointment is multiplied by the hope he had raised. I am for the first time planning to vote Paul. if he is nominated. I believe Paul is the only candidate who can beat Obama because like Reagan he can pull the democratic support to a Republican candidate

January 6, 2012 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |