Huntsman puts ‘trust’ first in final N.H. push
January 9th, 2012

Huntsman puts ‘trust’ first in final N.H. push

Exeter, New Hampshire (CNN) - Jon Huntsman returned to the site of his June presidential announcement to make his final appeal to Granite State voters ahead of Tuesday’s first-in-the-nation primary.

The former Republican governor, who has staked his White House ambitions on a strong showing in the state, told a packed town hall in Exeter Monday that he has become a "shameless salesman" on behalf of his candidacy as he crisscrosses the state asking for votes.

CNN Live: Tune in Tuesday at 7 p.m. ET for CNN's live special coverage of the New Hampshire Primary and follow real-time results on CNNPolitics.com and on Twitter at #cnnelections. Stay up to date with CNN apps for iPhone, iPad, Android or other phones.

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

After 170 public events in the state, Huntsman said his effort in New Hampshire was no longer being ignored.

"Can you feel a little bit of momentum in the air?" Huntsman asked the crowd. "We're going to surprise a whole lot of people in this country tomorrow night."

Huntsman's campaign themes of putting trust and country first were peppered throughout his remarks and on the tips of voters' tongues as they exited the 157-year-old town hall.

Democrats, independents and Republicans at the event cited their faith in the candidate as a reason for their support.

Gil Allen, a self-described Democrat, said he plans to register to vote Tuesday in order to cast a protest vote for Huntsman because "He has character."

Republican Robert Moore, an economics professor at the University of New Hampshire, made his final decision Monday night and said he will vote for Huntsman Tuesday.

"I trust he can bring our country together," Moore said. "The Republican Party needs someone to unite the country."

"I trust him," Rose Almon-Gagne, who made up her mind a few days ago, said after the event, "He's a really honest person."

And Huntsman's prediction for tomorrow?

"That ‘trust’ word is going to take us all the way through the finish line tomorrow," Huntsman said before red, white and blue confetti shot into the room.

Also see:

Santorum to South Carolina: 'Step up'

Romney feared being fired

Paul looking forward to South Carolina, caucus states

Perry makes play for Christian voters in South Carolina

Democrats maintain focus on Romney

Filed under: 2012 • Jon Huntsman • New Hampshire
  1. gt

we hope...

January 9, 2012 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  2. Marty, FL

Gov. Huntsman is a trustworthy person, unlike Romney who lies all the time.

As seen in the debates over the weekend, Huntsman clearly wants to work together towards unity and puts country first, not the party first Romney.

Praying NH gets it right and votes the best candidate with honest credentials–Huntsman.

January 9, 2012 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  3. Aaron

I thought Huntsman was the sole sane Repub candidate. Now, he's on a mission to push retirement age to 68. He doesn't realize that not everyone is a stinking rich. Not sure who thinks is going to hire or continue to employ someone pushing 70 years in age.

January 9, 2012 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  4. Luis

I really like this guy. I usually vote Democrat because of the social issues but if it came down to Obama and Huntsman, I am not afraid to say I would most likely vote Republican. His views are much more moderate than the current line up of Republican candidates and that could pick up a large segment of Independents and even Democrats such as myself. I, as I'm sure many other Americans are, am tired of all the divisiveness coming from Washington. Absolutely fed up with it. We need somebody like Huntsman to unite the country under a more moderate Presidency. Obama is too liberal and nearly every Republican too conservative. Extremism is destroying this country.
    It really is sad he probably won't be nominated.

January 9, 2012 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  5. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I hope that he places high like 2nd or 3rd. He is the only Republican that is reasonable and really ready to work for the best interests of the country.

January 9, 2012 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  6. DC from NJ

The only Republican in the race who makes any sense at all......

January 10, 2012 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  7. J.V.Hodgson

No doubt about it he is the best of the bunch. If he loses badly it will be a sad day for american politics.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

January 10, 2012 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  8. maryd61

Jon Huntsman has always been the only republican candidate who has sensible ideas rather than bumper sticker statements. i am glad to see he is doing well.

January 10, 2012 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  9. Jon

Huntsman is one of the few politicians I would be proud to vote for.

January 10, 2012 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  10. bearced

I hope my neighbors in N.H. can come thru for Huntsman.

January 10, 2012 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  11. P.G

He certainly looks like the odd man out when you compare him to the Corporate Raider, Freddie Mac's Historian, Crazy Old Guy, and Mr. Frothy.

January 10, 2012 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  12. Sick

Huntsman actually makes sense... which is why he won't get the GOP nomination.

January 10, 2012 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  13. Ginger

Been saying this for weeks now. America wake UP! This man is the real deal

January 10, 2012 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  14. Chris73

Just got back from voting. Ended up voting for Huntsman after going back and forth all week between him and Ron Paul. I would love to see either one upset Romney today, but sadly I dont see it happening.

January 10, 2012 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  15. Joe Blow

By far the best Republican candidate and one I think who can beat Obama ... as long as he picks a good running mate. In other words, not Palin.

January 10, 2012 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  16. Bob in Texas

"Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it." Remember John Anderson? He was the independent candidate who ran against Reagan and Carter in 1980. The press dubbed him "The thinking man's candidate." He was, by many, considered the most honest, intelligent, thoughtful and decent candidate in the field. It seems that the last things Republicans want in a presidential candidate is honesty, integrity, thoughtfulness, or decency. They'd rather support a washed up movie actor with a good spin or a morally bankrupt corporate raider who thinks nothing of ruining the economic lives of employees for the sake of a few pennies in quarterly dividends. In the end, we may not get the best President, but it seems that we always get the one we deserve.

January 10, 2012 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  17. James PDX

I can't believe there are still people stupid enough to use the words "trust" and "honest" when describing any politician that has risen far enough to be a feasible candidate for POTUS. A more correct description would be "better liar".

January 10, 2012 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  18. clarke

I am a Dem but have no problem voting for Huntsman. He is I feel someone you could trust all the way to the white house.. He sure would help the GOP get some respect back into the party. He is not a slick used car saleman. I do not trust Mitt or the others as much I trust Huntsman.

January 10, 2012 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  19. South of NH

Huntsman is the only sane one of the bunch - meaning he has absolutely no chance of winning GOP primaries in states like South Carolina. I'm sure he's the candidate that the Obama team would least want to run against.

January 10, 2012 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  20. jeremy

I am so happy to see this excitement for Huntsman. Finally! He has always been the most qualified and the most respectful candidate. I truly think he cares about the American people, and he wants to drive our nation forward into greatness.

January 10, 2012 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  21. john

he sounds level headed and sincere. we'll wait for NH to tell us what they think here in SC.

January 10, 2012 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  22. Sandy

Huntsman is NOT a trustworthy person. I don't usually agree with Christie, but on this I agree with him on: Huntsman is a backstabber, and a traitor of the President. And he supports the Ryan plan. Don't be fooled by Huntsman. He sounds reasonable, but he supports the same failed policies as all the other republican candidates.

January 10, 2012 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  23. Indy

Huntsman would make a great VP for Obama !

January 10, 2012 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  24. Hemuda

I hope he wins or comes 2nd in NH. I am an independent voter. I voted for Obama and if it's Obama vs Huntsman, I will vote Huntsman. He is the only I can trust among Republicans.

January 10, 2012 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  25. willie floyd

I wish Mr. Huntsman good luck. He is nothing like the other "clowns". However, as a Dem. I will continue to support our president. Given that he has had the worst congress (check their ratings) in history, I'm amazed he has accomplished what he has. IMHO he only has to run on his record without putting himself in the gutter like the Reps. have already shown they are certain to do.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012