Palin endorses (Todd, that is)
January 9th, 2012

Palin endorses (Todd, that is)

(CNN) – Newt Gingrich announced Monday he received the backing of Todd Palin, husband of former Alaska governor and 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

At an early afternoon Rotary Club meeting in Nashua, New Hampshire, Gingrich said he just learned of the developments.

CNN Live: Tune in Tuesday at 7 p.m. ET for CNN's live special coverage of the New Hampshire Primary and follow real-time results on CNNPolitics.com and on Twitter at #cnnelections. Stay up to date with CNN apps for iPhone, iPad, Android or other phones.

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"About 20 minutes ago I got a very nice phone call from Todd Palin, Sarah's husband, and he indicated he was going to endorse me today," Gingrich said.

The 2012 GOP hopeful later sent out a message on his Twitter account, saying, "Honored to be endorsed by Todd Palin. President Obama has failed. We need a Bold Reagan Conservative in the WH."

Gingrich's message linked to an article on the website of ABC News, which first reported Todd Palin's endorsement.

In a statement released by Gingrich's campaign, Palin touted the candidate's leadership skills.

"Newt Gingrich is a true leader, which he has proven not only since the beginning of his campaign, but throughout his career," Palin wrote. "Just like Sarah, Newt has faced many successes and challenges. Despite his consultants leaving him last summer, Newt is still standing because of his ideas and his success in the debates – not by spending millions of dollars in campaign ads."

Todd Palin, often referred to as the "First Dude" by his wife when she was serving as Alaska's governor, has long served as one of Sarah Palin's closest political advisers.

Sarah Palin has yet to publicly endorse a candidate.

Also see:

Santorum to South Carolina: 'Step up'

Romney feared being fired

Paul looking forward to South Carolina, caucus states

Perry makes play for Christian voters in South Carolina

Democrats maintain focus on Romney

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Todd Palin
  1. chuck d

Hey Truth and Nothing But the Truth
    You sound like every fox news channel on TV

You are still pondering your endorsement and will announce it in the near future?.Well good for you
    You've already ruled out Mr. Hopey-Changey. because No jobs, no change, no hope?
    Lets See,
    No jobs--Bush,
    No change- republicans voting no on everything for the last 4 years
    No Hope– that's what you will get if you listen to Fox
    no endorsement? good for you, I will not sleep good tonight worrying about who you want

January 9, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  2. JohnW

Thank God! The worst candidate for higher office in history's husband is endorsing me! Now it's a lock!

January 9, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  3. CaliMafia

Todd who??????????????

January 9, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  4. cm

Newt some things you just keep to yourself, indeed this is one of them.
    STOP EMBRASSING YOUR SELF

January 9, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  5. CitizenKA

Wow CNN, thanks for some Monday morning laughs. A totally irrelevant piece of reporting.

January 9, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  6. Luke Brown

If Newt didn't get a deferment, how did he get out of going to Vietnam?

January 9, 2012 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  7. Gregg

ouch!
    1.) First, being endorsed by Todd Palin is a huge set back for Gingrich. He did faked is appreciation well.
    2.) Second, endrosments have never really meant anything to any but the most gullible in our population. But, now its official, the truly mean nothing.

January 9, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  8. ks

HEY! do something useful Sarah and Todd-help the citizens in Cordova shovel out.

January 9, 2012 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  9. newton

I voted for Bo on American Idol. isnt that more important?

January 9, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  10. Ronnie

May Gingrich will pick Sarah to run as his VP?

January 9, 2012 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  11. JimNasium

Wow. And who is Jerry Springer endorsing?

January 9, 2012 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  12. Thinkergal

Like anyone cares!

January 9, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  13. Rick

I was going to vote for Obama, but now that Todd Palin is supporting Gingrich I am having second thoughts........Actually, what I am having second thoughts about is ever reading CNN on line again. Is this the best you got????

January 9, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  14. Jack

Hey–you want to know who I'm endorsing?

January 9, 2012 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  15. T. E. Lawrence O. A.

I guess this means that TODD PALIN IS NOW 'FAIR GAME' FOR CRITICISM AND ATTACK!?! After all, he has chosen to put himself out in the spotlight, which is The Test according to his brilliant genius wife.

January 9, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  16. Ambrose Smith

What's taking his wifey Palin so long? Shouldn't she have already made up her mind and been on the road campaigning for her favorite tea partier? Doesn't she know that Romney os getting closer to wrapping it up?? She must not really care.

January 9, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  17. Cathy

Wow to be endorsed by the husband of a has been... he's moving up...

January 9, 2012 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  18. Bonnie

Thank you for voted Bo on American Idol. I rather see Bo does his tricks :)

January 9, 2012 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  19. judy

Oh gee......I'll be sure to let that influence my vote......NOT!!!!

January 9, 2012 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  20. John

That like dumb backing dumber. This should put a end to Newt Gingrich. But One Crook should know the other.

January 9, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  21. tex

awww... so sweet!

ROTFL!

January 9, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  22. steve

Personally, I'm losing my patience waiting on Joe the Plumbers endorsement.

January 9, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  23. Pat in IL

This is cracking me up! As soon as I stop laughing at the ridiculousness of a Todd Palin endorsement, I'll try to make sense of why this is considered political news any more than if my neighbor tells me he is going to "endorse" some candidate.

January 9, 2012 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  24. bob

Despert republican House Party: Who is sarah endorsing?

January 9, 2012 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  25. ted

Now there is someone eminently qualified to endorse someone. Look at all the political experience he got by palling around with terrorists, er ah, I mean, his wife Sarah.

January 9, 2012 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |