Palin seeks increased Romney transparency
January 11th, 2012

Palin seeks increased Romney transparency

(CNN) - Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor who mused with a presidential bid of her own this cycle, suggested Wednesday that Mitt Romney should release records from his time at Bain Capital, as well as his personal tax returns.

Not doing so, she said, could lead to devastating consequences that would injure his candidacy in the weeks before November's general election.

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Don't be surprised that that's all coming out today, because it would come out as an October surprise had these GOP candidates not brought those out today," Palin said on the Fox News program "Hannity."

She continued, "Barack Obama and his machine and the billion dollars that he's got behind him will bring all of this stuff out anyway."

Candidates need to be prepared, Palin said.

"It's rough and tumble, not beanbag as Romney and others have called it. You've got to be prepared for this."

In the interview, Palin characterized Texas Gov. Rick Perry's attacks on Romney's tenure at Bain as questions about his job creation claims.

"This isn't about a politician making huge profits in the private sector," she said. I "think what Governor Perry is getting at is that Governor Romney claimed to have created 100,000 jobs at Bain and you know, people are wanting to know, is there proof of that claim?"

Republicans, she said, should vet candidates "within our own party."

But Palin's comments do not mean she is closer to choosing a candidate to support.

"I'm still with the majority," Palin said. "Searching."

Also see:

Poll: Romney, Santorum tied with Obama in Florida

Gingrich fires up down South

S.C. Republicans plan presidential forum in conservative upstate

Santorum to spend fundraising haul immediately in S.C.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • Sarah Palin
  1. Michael in Houston

Shut up palin...just shut up

January 12, 2012 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  2. dean

Romney should be more transparent. He should release his tax returns and emails.

January 12, 2012 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  3. Hark

Give 'em hell Sarah! Most of the people on this blog are pitiful losers....like most liberals," thinkers" rather than "doers" ....go figure!

January 12, 2012 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  4. V in Chicago

@ Thomas – perhaps you should look up why Palin's son in in the military. It is my understanding that he either joined or did time for some laws he broke. I respect him in that he is serving his country, but don't give credit where it is not due. He only volunteered because it was the better option for him at the time.

Just saying . . .

January 12, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  5. The Real Tom Paine

Truth and Nothing But lies, we will give credit where credit is due, even to those morally-challenged people like yourself. Palin made a valid point, that does not make us her fans. By the way, taxpayers have been on the hook for Mitt's vulture capitalism, in the form of propping up their 401Ks and pensions. Its a federal program that kept many of Mitt's victims from losing everything they spent a lifetime working for, which I'm sure disgusts and dismays you. I've fought my way back from the brink of personal bankruptcy because of being laid off, and now I'm getting ready to move my family into their dream house. NO help from the government, no help from friends, all from the sweat of my brow and my wife's. I also know that a ba$tard like Romney could destroy that in a minute, should a vulture acquire my employer. I live in fear of people like Romney, which is why I will never support him. I am not envious, I am disgusted by somone who has never produced anything of real value telling me that I am nothing more than a commodity to him, and asking me to buy into his vision of capitalism where a person's word and worth are nothing.

January 12, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  6. jamison

Time for this idiot to close here trap and stop pretending to be important – SHE NEVER WAS or will be.

January 12, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  7. Hark

@ Michael- Please give us more of your Insightful editorials....I'm sure you have much more inside that vast brain of yours!?!?

January 12, 2012 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  8. Jean Sartre, Milwaukee, WI

"I'm still with the majority," Palin said. "Searching."

Yeah, for your brain...

January 12, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  9. V in Chicago

@Autoamerican – you've been drinking the koolaid! You are giving her credit for being smart and crafty. She is neither. She is NOT going to jump in the race because she know she would be laughed right back out of it. If you are so enamored with Palin, perhaps you should join her up in Alaska and give the lower 48 a break.

January 12, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  10. The Real Tom Paine

Hark, a nice balance of both would not hurt, and it would do wonders for Palin.....go figure!

January 12, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  11. Huh?!

Wait. What?! Palin hates Romney? Doesn't trust him? That's a badge of honor and gives me hope that maybe he's worth a second look after... Hmmm. or is this reverse psychology. Trying to rope people into *thinking* he isn't a completely heartless jerk.

January 12, 2012 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  12. Attacking Mittens makes SP just another . . .

Socialist, who hate the unbridled free market . . .

January 12, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  13. Phil Closter

This woman is just trying to stay in the public spotlight. Egomaniacs like her just cannot shut up and stay away. The sad thing is that she and Todd and "moonfaced" Bristol, all think they have something to say and that anyone cares? No one does...any chance we can get Joran Van der Sloot to visit with Sarah Palin???

January 12, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  14. MysticRedcat

Republicans, she said, should vet candidates "within our own party."

Sarah Palin demonstrated that clearly. If she had been properly vetted, the American public would have been spared a lot.

January 12, 2012 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  15. Norm

Run, Sarah, run! Love, the DNC

January 12, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  16. keeth

"Candidates need to be prepared, Palin said." HAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, the irony! Stop! OMG, my sides hurt! HAHAHAHAHA!

January 12, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  17. angryoldguy

Republicans, she said, should vet candidates "within our own party." I wish they had done that 4 years ago! This conversation wouldn't be happening right now if they had and none of us would know who Sarah was or is or care anything about what she says! And, to those of you who think she is going to jump in the race & save the day, YOU'RE DREAMING! WAKE UP!

January 12, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. Just SomeGuy

Usually everything she says is so damn ridiculous; however, gotta give her credit here – nothing but common sense. If I 'm gonna bash her when appropriate, I've got to man up and say – 'smart comments!'.

January 12, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  19. T in FLA

@Hark
    "thinkers rather than doers" eh?
    thank God MY President THINKS.. last time we had a President 'lead' with his back end – we ended up in IRAQ
    Alas, the Republicans are the party of DOERS as well as the party of NO
    DOERS of NO good

January 12, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  20. james pfeiffer

The idiot emerges!

January 12, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  21. David

Who cares? Palin's 15 minutes ended a lonnnnng time ago. If McCain hadn't sabatauged his own presidential bid by selecting her as a running made four years ago, nobody south of Alaska would ever have heard of her. Her opinion - on this or anything else - is meaningless to most of the country.

January 12, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  22. otisadog

Does anyone care what Palin says?

January 12, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  23. Mindie from Indie

Romney's candidacy is already in trouble – especially if this nitwit endorses him. None of this matters anyway – Obama will win his 2nd term. The GOP are just too out of touch with America.

Isn't it funny though, that the caribou creep says candidates need to be vetted better – I'm sure she's speaking about her own unvetted experience when we all found out what a moron this hypocrite is.

January 12, 2012 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  24. GA

For those who declare that Obama is a disaster, remember that EVERYTHING he has tried to do has been blocked by the Republicans. A recently published article actually told about the "decision" in the Republican representation that they would block everything he tried to do. Nice.
    They (the Republicans) have managed to paint him as the reason for our fiscal problems, when it ALL started to unravel during the tenure of our Yale Cheerleader President George W. Bush.
    How sad that so many people are incapable of seeing clearly.

January 12, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  25. Hap Hazzard

Please! PLEASE! Her 15 minutes are over. Stop with the Palin coverage.

January 12, 2012 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |