Poll: Endorsements, shmendorsements
Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney with Sen. John McCain, who endorsed Romney, during a campaign event on January 5, 2012 in Charleston, South Carolina.
January 13th, 2012

Poll: Endorsements, shmendorsements

(CNN) – Despite the attention they receive, political endorsements appear to hold little sway over Republican and Republican-leaning voters.

In a new Pew Research Poll, most GOP voters said the backing from prominent Republicans including former President George W. Bush, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and Sen. John McCain would hold little sway over their vote in the presidential election.

Nearly 30% indicated they would be more likely to vote for a candidate Bush supported, compared with the 11% that would be less inclined and the 59% who said it would make no difference. Fewer or 23% said they would be more likely to vote for a candidate Palin supported, compared with 15% who would be less likely and 61% who said it would not have an impact.

An endorsement from McCain, the former 2008 Republican presidential nominee would have little impact. Roughly the same percentage of respondents said it would have an impact as said it would not. McCain endorsed White House hopeful Mitt Romney on Jan. 4, just before the poll was conducted.

The Pew survey of 1,000 adults was conducted between Jan. 5 and Jan. 8.

Filed under: 2012 • Polls
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

That's what we've been saying: Polls, schmolls!
    They are nice...but useless.
    Let your vote be your poll.
    Obama 2012.

January 13, 2012 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Oh wait! You were talking about endorsements! Same thing.

January 13, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  3. Rudy NYC

It is not clear if the poll measured how much an endorsement would sway you opinion for or against a candidate. A lot of voters are quite cynical. "Well, if he/she thinks it is a good idea, then it must be good/bad." This poll could be flawed.

January 13, 2012 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  4. vic , nashville ,tn

President George W. Bush, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and Sen. John McCain

Simple no one care what these people says

January 13, 2012 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  5. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE

Christine O'Donnell endorsed Romney. Enough said!!!

January 13, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  6. ST

Endorsement from John McCain!! of all the people!! the man has proved that he is not aware of what he is doing, especially when he picked Sarah as running mate and lost big. He needs to retire peacefully and go completely out of politics.

January 13, 2012 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  7. Lolo

The whole republican party is a disgrace. Their is no way that they will get my vote. These people seem totally off of their rockers. They really need to regroup. They are just lying and flip=flopping all over the place. Seems to me not one of them are prepared to be President. I cannot belive what is going on in this party. Does any of them have common sense? They have too many chiefs and not enough indians and that simple me, me, me mentality.

January 13, 2012 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  8. GwynniesPapa

I liked and trusted John Mcain until he showed the poorest of judgements in allowing the lunitic half gov slip out from under her rock with that circus of a family. I know things could improve greatly and I look at Mitt as a moderate alternitive but Sen. Mcain's endorsement ? Christine O'Donnell ? I think I'll just go 4 more I have not been givin an alternative

January 13, 2012 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  9. Paul1st

It's difficult to run as a Washington outsider and while getting endorsements from Washington insiders.

January 13, 2012 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  10. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Dominican mama 4 Obama - That's what we've been saying: Polls, schmolls!
    =========================================================
    Egads, might want to work on your reading comprehension. The article is about ENDORSEMENTS!

January 13, 2012 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  11. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Endorsements don't matter, except maybe in the case of somebody who is running and wants to ask his supporters to consider MR. XYZ over the others. Even then, it might not carry that much sway. I think people already establish a pecking order for who they will support, and those who they cannot suppport.

January 13, 2012 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  12. tcars

GW Bush's endorsement? That's the kiss of death.
    Palin's endorsement? You want that dingbat?
    McCain.... well, I guess you know he lost big last go around.
    It's worth about 2 cents...

January 13, 2012 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  13. cali girl

I think endorsements are only about the $ and another 15 minutes for the person saying yes to backing the candidate. All nonsense when it is all said and done. It will only make a difference to me if the backer is someone I don't care for. Like if Mr Cain decided to revive his tv time and came in with a candidate. I feel sorry for the candidate he chooses to endorse.

January 13, 2012 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |