Romney gives cash to struggling supporter at rally
January 14th, 2012

Romney gives cash to struggling supporter at rally

Sumter, South Carolina (CNN) – Mitt Romney gave a handful of cash Saturday to a woman who had told him she was struggling financially after an event in Sumter, South Carolina.

An aide said the GOP candidate gave the supporter "what he had on him" - about $50 or $60.

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The woman, Ruth Williams, met Romney earlier in the week and told him she was having trouble making ends meet. On Saturday, Romney recognized Williams while he was shaking hands with supporters after a rally, an aide said.

Romney spoke to the woman and handed her several bills.

"He was kind to me," Williams said. "He held onto me and he made Gov. [Nikki] Haley and them come see about me."

Williams told reporters that on Wednesday she had seen Romney's campaign bus on the highway and followed it to an airport. Aides then invited her to come meet the former governor at an event in Columbia.

"I was on the highway praying and said, 'God, tell me how to get [my] lights on, and I pulled up to a stop sign and his bus was there,'" Williams said.

Williams has been out of work since October and is caring for an ill son. She said that after meeting Romney she had also met South Carolina state treasurer and Romney supporter Curtis Loftis, and said he had given her money. She said she used the money to pay her light bill.

A Romney campaign aide confirmed Loftis had given Williams money.

Williams has been volunteering at Romney's state headquarters in Columbia since the original meeting, she said.

"God didn't tell me to go to nobody else," she said when asked whether she had approached other presidential candidates. "He told me to pray for Romney."

The cash gift is notable from a candidate who has said he would not give away "free stuff" as president but rather would focus on cutting back on federal spending and stimulating private sector growth.

"I know there are some people who run for president that will say, 'Hey, I'm going to give you more. I'll find a way to give you some more. I'll change the rules and give you more money," Romney said at a December event in Conway, New Hampshire. "I'm not that guy. If there's a competition for who will give you the most free stuff, go vote for that guy."

Also see:

Group backing Gingrich hits Romney for health care law and Bain record

Romney gives cash to struggling supporter at rally

Romney super PAC pummels Santorum and Gingrich by mail

Tim Scott, the ultimate undecided voter

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • South Carolina
  1. Politicagal

Fifty or sixty bucks for someone struggling to makes ends meet? Sure it's a nice small itty bitty gesture, but if he really wanted to help, why not offer her a paid position on his staff????? That money will be gone in a day and that poor woman will be right back where she was. Struggling.

January 15, 2012 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  2. Mike Aubrey

Nice,

Since he's a corporation he figures to write it off as an expense. LOL

January 15, 2012 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  3. Frank

Looks like Romney hasn't figured out the process to become President yet. Hey Romney, you buy votes with taxpayer money not your own! Ask Obama how its done, he's an expert.

January 15, 2012 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  4. Jack

This was a really great act of Christian charity; too bad it had to be turned into a public news event.

January 15, 2012 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  5. like73

Romney knows $ like Sun Tzu knows War. Hire him.

January 15, 2012 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  6. ElvinJ.Ramos

Mr.Romney is an out of touch rich half mexican guy who carries no cash because he does not go to stores he has everything done for him, bad PR stunt not pleasing to read about...

January 15, 2012 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  7. DougFranklin

Seriously? CNN just gave Mitt Romney front-page advertisement space for $60? Wow, that's the cheapest advertising campaign ever...

January 15, 2012 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  8. Brandon

Wow, a politician who actually has concern for the little people, how about that.

January 15, 2012 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  9. ahah

I thought handing out cash to voters was a NO NO?

January 15, 2012 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  10. Casey

Respect. I saw pictures of Mitt Romney help families in California during the fires... he and his brothers were in dirty t-shirts, worker gloves... pulling out a tree stump. Sweat! In the trenches. That "hard work" and "hard labor" is what we should expect in a President... Not someone who has a socialist agenda: Obama

January 15, 2012 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  11. Brandon

Look at all of you, you rather that lady starve than accept a few bucks from the big bad republican. You people are disgusting.

January 15, 2012 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  12. Votes$

What kind of Grammar is that?

January 15, 2012 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  13. mfx3

What a socialist.

January 15, 2012 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  14. Sam

I thought the Republican Party stood for "No Hand-Outs" This sure seems to go against everything they stand for ahhaha Ridiculous

January 15, 2012 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  15. David

I can't wait until Romney's landslide victory in Nov. The democrats are terrified of Romney. California for Romney!

January 15, 2012 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  16. tgg

Do you hear Eva Peron in the background? "Don't cry for me Argentina."

January 15, 2012 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  17. alex

This man thinks he can fool everyone.We know who you are.Money pls.This man has sold his sole long ago.

January 15, 2012 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  18. anon

cheap stunt – we don't want handouts and we dont envy you; you arrogant, insincere S.O.B

January 15, 2012 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  19. Pete

No matter how hard he tries, he's just so out of touch...

January 15, 2012 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  20. ma & pa

Was it, maybe, only an act of kindness?

January 15, 2012 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  21. Go Romney

I applaude Romney for his kind heart. All of you complainers are so ridiculous. Automatically you people just assume that if someone does something nice it is ONLY for the spotlight. So pessimistic. He earned my respect. Thanks for trying to help someone in need, Mitt. I'm sure this woman was extremely grateful.

January 15, 2012 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  22. edgarx

What a shameful, ignorant stunt. If this is the best the GOP has to offer, I'll either vote for Obama or not vote at all.

January 15, 2012 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  23. Jay

Why didn't he give her a paying job instead. He is a 'job creator'....right?

January 15, 2012 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  24. tom dwyer

ron paul for president 2012

January 15, 2012 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  25. Brooks

Yeah, like he expected to buy votes this way? Get over it. If he wanted, he could buy his votes in a much better way. The guy just wanted to help the woman out. Shut up.

January 15, 2012 01:12 am at 1:12 am |