Huntsman couldn't shed mini-Romney perception
January 16th, 2012

Huntsman couldn't shed mini-Romney perception

Washington (CNN) - In a Republican primary focused on which conservative would emerge as the anti-Romney, Jon Huntsman was unable to position himself as anything more than a mini-Romney.

His blend of moderate and conservative positions, as well as his Mormon faith, combined to cast Huntsman as too similar to fellow Mormon Mitt Romney and therefore unable to overcome the former Massachusetts governor's huge advantage in name recognition, funding and organization.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Jon Huntsman • Mitt Romney
  1. The Real Tom Paine

Mitt: " I shall call you, mini-Mitt".

January 16, 2012 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  2. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE

He didn't have a mini-Romney perception. He had a "I worked for the President which everyone in my party hates" perception.

January 16, 2012 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  3. Whatever

Huntsman got the memo from on high and I'm not talking about the GOP party leaders. He and Romney shared a very strong religious tie and that is what it came down too. I believe the church leaders told him enough is enough. Him giving his "endorsement" to Romney can only be explained by their church (they follow what the leaders say no matter what). He'll be offered the Ambassdor to China again when the President wins LOL...

I hope Hillary is the VP pick in 2012 b/c her experience will be unbeatable in 2016 and 2020 – – if the world does not come to an end this year!!!!

January 16, 2012 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  4. Dr. Knowit all

No, he couldn't shed the Obama / Machurian candidate image.

January 16, 2012 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  5. The Greedy Old Pigs have declared class war on US!

They were both spoiled trust fund neocons riding on their daddy's coattails. Both support the GOBP deathcult's attack on average Americans, like Ryan's plan to destroy Medicare. Of course they seem a lot a like. Because the are.

January 16, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  6. Anthony

This is the smart thing to do. With the Tea Party unable to prevent a Romney nomination, Republicans will need to reboot their party after this year's election. Romney can't win the general election when the Rasmussen Poll and the Fox News Poll, both of which are known to favor Republicans, have Romney trailing the president.

January 16, 2012 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  7. hilroy

Is this is the same man President Obama appointed Ambassador to China. Now he is calling him Barack Obama instead of President Obama? He is still a member of the old boy network and it shows.

All these guys are the same. That said, it goes to shows the good calibre of the president.

January 16, 2012 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  8. Larry in Houston

I'm a Registered Democrat currently living in a Republican State for the last 6 yrs. As a 'transplant' from the northeast, I guess it will take me about 30 seconds in that Voting booth, since I plan on Voting a Straight Ticket. But, IF Ron Paul's Name is on the Ticket in November, believe me, I will vote for him. I think America should think about it, and think where this country will be, in 4 more yrs, it doesn't really matter whether our nxt prez is Romney / or if Obama gets re-elected, with a 15 Trillion debt, we're Sunk !! In the nxt 3 or 4 yrs, we will be in 'hawk' for around 18 Trillion. Otherwise this country needs to get behind Ron Paul. If Romney is on the Ticket in November, I guess I will have to Vote for Obama, because a Vote for a Democrat, is a vote for the People of this country. It really doesn't matter to me, because I've already paid my dues, since I am semi-retired now, worked at a factory for 28 yrs, and now drawing a pension, plus have a part time business. But I'm telling you folks, you better get behind somebody that is for the 'regular working class' people, otherwise, we're Sunk ! IF Ron Paul gets IN, then we can actually "save" our Dollar. Otherwise, I don't hear Obama or Romney or any of the others talking about trying to reduce or deficit or debt. They all want to "reduce" a Trillion , in 10 or 12 or 15 years. ( that's not going to cut it) Otherwise, we better be thinking about 2 or 3 dollars for a loaf of bread. ( this means our money will eventually be worthless) Or they need to come up with another monetary system, in this country.

Larry in Houston