Romney stops at smokehouse for barbecue fix
January 18th, 2012

Romney stops at smokehouse for barbecue fix

Lexington, South Carolina (CNN) – Mitt Romney betrayed a weakness for pulled pork and a joking desire to see reporters covering his campaign "turn green" during a barbecue run through a South Carolina smokehouse Wednesday.

The GOP candidate bounded off his campaign bus for a stop at Hudson's Smokehouse in Lexington, an authentic barbecue joint he visited during his first presidential run four years ago.

Tune in Thursday at 8 p.m. ET for the CNN/Southern Republican Presidential Debate hosted by John King and follow it on Twitter at #CNNDebate. For real-time coverage of the South Carolina primary, go to CNNPolitics.com or to the CNN apps or CNN mobile web site.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter:
@PoliticalTicker

"But you know barbecue is manufactured right in a smokehouse like this," he told owner Robin Hudson.

Hudson led Romney and the press corps covering his campaign into a small smokehouse where a throat-tingling vinegar smoke billowed throughout the room.

As Romney discussed his favorite type of barbecue - pulled pork - and his distaste for catfish - "not a fish man so much. I mean I eat it 'cause I'm told it's good for me" - the press corps hacked and choked amid the smoke.

The candidate, who ignored press questions during the stop, saw a way to jibe his constant companions on the trail.

"I want to get these guys to line up behind the vinegar operation here," Romney laughed. "I want to see my friends turn green."

The candidate then made his way through the restaurant, greeting families and asking patrons to vote for him in South Carolina's Saturday primary.

Also see:

Christie to Romney: release tax info 'sooner rather than later'

Perry defends controversial comment on Turkey

Obama campaign makes first moves toward major ad buys

Romney ahead in Ohio; neck and neck with Obama in match-up

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • South Carolina
  1. GI Joe

Must be pre dinner hors d'orves for Chris Christie.

January 18, 2012 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  2. Annie, Atlanta

Seriously, CNN. He's got money stashed in the Cayman Islands, and we have to hear about a smokehouse stop at which a pic was taken of him looking, once again, like a fish out of water? Good grief. And does this mean he's stupid. Whether that Cayman Island money is legal or not, which I am going to assume it is, doesn't he know how that is going to look. For God's sake, he wants to be our President.

January 18, 2012 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  3. scottdc

So he thought he'd mingle with the Commoners today....

January 18, 2012 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  4. dj98

Pig eating pig!

January 18, 2012 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  5. Data Driven

One of the nice things about being rich is that you don't have to eat barbecued ribs - you can afford to eat steak instead. One can almost feel for Romney - having to pretend to like things such as barbecued ribs, which you know is never on the menu at his palatial manse in La Jolla.

January 18, 2012 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  6. Jariv

Oh Mitt! When will I meet you. You are a great guy, I tell you.

January 18, 2012 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  7. Wire Palladin, S. F.

They sell caviar at a smokehouse?

January 18, 2012 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  8. Thomas

Mitt looks tired .

Great BBQ !

January 18, 2012 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  9. T'sah From Virginia

►Declaring he had "come back to the scene of delicious food," Romney joked that "Yankees" up north thought barbecue meant hot dogs or hamburgers on the grill.◄

What the HECK???? Really? Romney is like a Gecko – wherever he is, he blends in to that environment and then kick where he is NOT – to the curb!!! NO ONE up north "thinks" hot dogs and hamburgers are "chopped barbecue!!" Come on now!!

Obama 2012!!

January 18, 2012 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  10. Anonymous

...why do we care

January 18, 2012 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  11. brian in denver

The only "turning green" I see from Mr. Bigbucks is his envy for President Obama's position, which ain't gonna happen any time in his lifetime.

January 18, 2012 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  12. Uthor

Sure. He's just a "regular Joe," only... born rich and well-connected, with a father who was the chairman of GM and later the governor of Michigan. But because he likes pulled pork, he's "one of us." Maybe he'll drink a can of Miller next.

January 18, 2012 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  13. Linda

I've lived in Texas and South Carolina so I know barbecue & I've never heard it referred to as being "manufactured." Romney should stop trying to be one of the "folks" and be who ever he actually is.

January 18, 2012 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  14. Conrack

Ten bucks says good ol' boy Mitt threw away his BBQ at the next rest stop.

January 18, 2012 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  15. unsub

did he eat his pp sandwich with a knife and fork?

January 19, 2012 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  16. The Greedy Old Pigs have declared war on US!

More phony "Hey, I'm just a regular guy" attempts by Flipper the Elitist Robot to appear "normal". Sadly for Mr.
    "Corporations are people too, my friend", he cannot change who he is: a psychopathic predatory vulture capitalist/parasite. In the world he's been raised in, starting as a spoiled 1%er brat riding his daddy's coattails, those little foil box containers hold lobsters, not BBQ. Ask someone from the New England area if you need that last comment explained.

January 19, 2012 06:28 am at 6:28 am |
  17. sick of republican phonies

Another phony, staged "event" to show the robotic millionaire is "jus' folks"... what a joke. Put down those ignorant northerners who don't know what barbecue is (huh???) to pander to the locals. I hope he enjoyed his visit to the "barbecue manufactory" LOL I never knew barbecue was MANUFACTURED! I bet that sandwich hit the trash can as soon as he got back on his bus.

January 19, 2012 06:30 am at 6:30 am |