Santorum tries to shoulder past Romney, Gingrich in debate
January 19th, 2012

Santorum tries to shoulder past Romney, Gingrich in debate

Charleston, South Carolina (CNN) - Arguing that momentum was on his side after a delayed announcement of victory in Iowa, former Sen. Rick Santorum sought to weaken rivals Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich with a series of direct attacks on the two front-runners in the last South Carolina debate ahead of the state's primary on Saturday.

Santorum charged both Romney and Gingrich would be weaker opponents against President Barack Obama, saying neither could draw a contrast with the incumbent over health care policy.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • CNN Debate
  1. DENNA

It would be nice if Santorum got the hint that Ricky boy finally got. Go home. You will NOT be elected. And stop with the 'suspending' your campaign. You are not going to take it up again. You just want to keep collecting sucker moneyh from your donors. GOP politicians make me sick.

January 19, 2012 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  2. Indy

Romney sounds like a broken record and the only song he knows is Obama,Obama,Obama. Romney clearly was in last place tonight and is worn out. Santourm has deep passion and conviction, I just hate most of his positions but I will say he did very well tonight. Newts blow up reminds all he is eratic, but he mopped Romney and Ron Paul just always tells the truth and it hard not to like his character.

January 19, 2012 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  3. CatLib

Neither is Santorum!

January 19, 2012 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  4. tony

If we can ask the personal question of one politicians then it should be fair to ask the question to all. The same or similar question was asked of Herman Cain about his personal relationship and it was fair and it should be fair to ask of Gingrich and the others.

January 19, 2012 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  5. Anonymous

Obama saved us from ruin by the Bush era....now let's keep him there. Bin Laden, gone. Al Alwaki, gone. Economic recovery, coming along. We'd be in anarchy if it weren't for Obama. These guys debating and fighting amongst themselves just show us how much they suck. Period. Done. End of story

January 19, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  6. Dale Larson

Watching Anderson 360º now and no mention of Ron Paul! Wow!

January 19, 2012 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  7. Tom

Umm, I think you are forgetting someone!!!!Ron Paul is # 2 and wins every real poll there is. Media bias at it's finest! You people should be brought up on charges!!!

January 19, 2012 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  8. DC

Ron Paul is not part of the underground network or the military industrial industry. He has no chance. America isn't a fair land anymore. And Obama is spending waaaayyy too much money – @Anonymous You are kidding right?

January 19, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  9. Tracy Wilkinson

I"m from Pa and a registered democrat did not vote for Obama last election and will not vote for him in this election. I was a write in vote for Clinton. I still believe to this day if she was our president things would be alot different not. Me I can't do anything about the past except to say this is why we need to say to the ppl that voted for him Shame on you part of what is going on in this country is on your back.... Now for the depate I believe Gingrich should set an example an exit the race he is in every aspect what is wrong in this country. I will not vote for Santorum if he helped the ppl of Pa like he said where that's my question. I live in Central Pa and the ppl here are hurting so where? I will vote for Romney yes he is not perfect but Please PLEASE name a politician who has not twisted the truth to make them look good. So out of all them I want what Romney has and I believe every american does.

January 19, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  10. Jimmy Mahan

The CNN debate channel has it wrong....I use to support Newt, but not anymore....Dick Morris thinks Newt came in last place in debate tonight...I agree...he comes off as a angry man when he questioned about anythng...I do not believe him.....I think liberals know that Romney is the best one to go against Obama...and they want Newt to win.

January 19, 2012 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  11. Peace

Gingrich has put openly his arrogance. I now believe what his x-wife Marianne is claiming is quite right. The man behaves publicly this way, what about with people close to him? (family). He was not kicked out from his position as a Speaker with no reason. He is good for nothing!

January 19, 2012 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  12. Kyle788

Whatever CNN does, it is not journalism. Whoever you support, you cannot deny what they are doing to Ron Paul.

January 19, 2012 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  13. lisaj

I thought Santorum performed well tonight. Romney just seemed a bit well....."unbelievable" in a lot of respects but he did okay. Ron Paul, lol, bless his heart–Let's just say I get a kick out of watching him. Lastly but not least, Mr. Gingrich, he is no doubt arrogant which can also mean that he have a lot confidence. All I care about is if the arrogance can produce results and regardless of what anyone may think of him when he was speaker (during the clinton yrs) the country was in good economic standing. So in the end, I could care less of his arrogance and the fact that other people in Congress didn't like him. I only care about whether he can get results and his professional resume shows that he can. Speaker, you got my vote!!

January 19, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |