Five things we learned from Thursday's debate
January 20th, 2012

Five things we learned from Thursday's debate

Charleston, South Carolina (CNN) – The four remaining Republican presidential candidates faced off Thursday for the second time in three days and two days ahead of South Carolina's pivotal primary.

Just weeks ago, South Carolina looked like it might seal the deal for then-front-runner Mitt Romney, but the polls have tightened in the weeks leading up to Saturday's vote.

FULL STORY
  1. Jazziette - Scottsdale, AZ

I don't think SC matters that much anymore. If it ever reflected the pulse of the country, the tea party has changed that. Other more sensible and realistic states will carry more clout now. Romney is still the most solid and viable candidate. Santorum still comes off as a whiner and Gingrich's tawdry past will stop his surge. Sensible and non religiously fanatical voters want a President with values. Bottom!

January 20, 2012 06:53 am at 6:53 am |
  2. Robert

So now that the Iowa winner has changed can someone tell me where the hell the 8 missing precincts are? Seems we're all Losers....

January 20, 2012 07:08 am at 7:08 am |
  3. Kim - New Jersey

I am a huge fan of CNN and of John King, so I was incredibly disappointed in the manner in which this debate was mediated. To start the debate with the question to Newt was a huge mistake. It's bad enough that the public gets bombarded with garbage like that in the nighly news, but to use it as a debate question to start off a presidential debate is unforgiveable. If I want cheesy entertainment, I'll watch Housewives of Beverly Hills. CNN watchers are an intelligent, well informed group of people. My husband and I looked forward to this debate because we wanted to really hone down on the very importatnt issues at stake. Instead, John King instigated a cat fight at every turn. I feel very frustrated to have spent 2 hours watching a debate and not learning much new about the candidates and what they will do for the country as President. As for the candidates themselves, they need to start focusing on what they are going to do to change things if they become president. Bashing Obama is old news. The American public is very well aware of the problems we have. Let's see what you're going to do to change things.

January 20, 2012 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  4. Rudy NYC

Santorum misrepresents facts better than he presents real facts.
    Romney cannot defend his "jobs creation" record, and is failing The People by withholding his taxes.
    Gingrich has always been a fiery speech maker, which is exactly the type of beast the extreme wants.
    Paul is very good at telling the truth by conveniently overlooking the truths that get in his way.

January 20, 2012 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  5. GOP = Greed Over People

The only truth I learned, was God lied to several GOP candidates,

January 20, 2012 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  6. Dems will

I learned one thing : All of these guys will say anything to get elected truth or not!!!!

January 20, 2012 08:47 am at 8:47 am |