Gingrich hit by another suspicious email in South Carolina
January 20th, 2012

Gingrich hit by another suspicious email in South Carolina

Charleston, South Carolina (CNN) – For the second time in a day, some South Carolina Republicans received a phony email claiming that Newt Gingrich pressured his ex-wife to have an abortion.

The latest email, forwarded to CNN by several Republicans who received it on Friday afternoon, is a mock-up of a Gingrich campaign press release responding to the abortion charge.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @politicalticker

"Newt Gingrich released the following statement regarding reports that he forced ex-wife Marianne Gingrich to terminate a pregnancy," the email reads.

Earlier Friday, a bogus CNN Breaking News Alert was sent to some South Carolina Republican voters claiming that "a source close to Marianne Gingrich tells CNN that former House Speaker Newt Gingrich forced her to abort a pregnancy conceived during the affair that preceeded [sic] her marriage to Gingrich."

CNN did not send the email, and Gingrich's ex-wife Marianne has not made that accusation.

But the fake Gingrich campaign response looks awfully official, featuring the Newt 2012 campaign logo and accurate contact information for Gingrich's press secretary, R.C. Hammond.

The press release, however, is clearly fabricated and leaves readers with the impression that Gingrich demanded that his wife to end a pregnancy.

"I have said many times, including on the debate stage last night, that I am not a perfect human being and I have made mistakes in my life," the counterfeit Gingrich statement reads. "This was one of them. I have had to apologize to God and to seek reconciliation. The fact is, I am not proud of some decisions I have made or actions I have taken, but I believe in the power of redemption and I trust the voters of South Carolina do as well."

Gingrich addressed the controversy at a media availability in Orangeburg, South Carolina Friday afternoon.

"I am sick of the kind of dishonest campaigns that we see where people go out and fake somebody else's material for the purpose of causing trouble 24 hours the primary," Gingrich said. "This is not worthy of our children, grandchildren. It's not worthy of America. It's not funny. It's not a game. It undermines our capacity to govern ourselves. And I think frankly those folks, if we could find out who they are, should be prosecuted."

Also see:

Perry drops out, endorses Gingrich

Judge-drawn Texas redistricting map tossed out by Supreme Court

Gingrich releases 2010 federal tax records

Santorum tries to shoulder past Romney, Gingrich in debate

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • South Carolina
  1. Chipster

Gingrich simply makes my skin crawl. The size of his ego, the hypocrisy of his harsh judgment of people who dare to do the same things he has done, his ability to excuse his $300,000 fine as a "reimbursement?" when he knows that his own Party forced him to step down as Speaker for ethical violations.....! It's incredible to actually see that he has people who would support this slug of a human being and women who would lower themselves to his level. eeew! just makes my skin crawl.

January 20, 2012 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  2. madmaninthemiddle

In 2000 McCain was running ahead of Bush in South Carolina when a rumor went around that McCain had fathered a black child out of wedlock. A picture of the McCain family, with his adopted daughter from Bangladesh. It cost McCain the SC primary, and he never recovered.

Who was running Bush's campaign? Karl Rove. Who does Rove support now? Mitt Romney.

You do the math.

January 20, 2012 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  3. Mike from Calgary

They could be tracked down and sued for defamation. One assumes it came from Romney or his Cayman Island Backers. To counter that notion, Romney should offer a $10,000 reward or bet that the source is not from amongst his supporters.
    Gingrich should sue for demation. State should prosecute for interference in election process.

January 20, 2012 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  4. Just make it up

Would it surprise anyone if this kind of story ended up being correct? Apparently all the redneck South Carolina voters want to forgive and forget... they will vote for a child killer before letting a black man remain in office 4 more years.

January 20, 2012 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  5. Anonymous

I think you people are the problem you talk about the problems with the republican party well the dems have done nothing to help the economy so far. What's the chance that it will improve in four more years when it didn't in the first four.

January 20, 2012 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  6. Larry L

The real issue is the test of the conservatives in regards to their real values. Nobody really could believe that Newt Gingrich has become honest or faithful. He's a low-life weasel and always will be. Folks are simply trying to find a way to deceive themselves in pretending Newt is "forgiven" and he's now born again etc. That is of course ridiculous. You just don't want to vote for a filthy rich Mormon or a black man who has done a fine job – in spite of the obstructionists trying to block progress. Look yourself in the mirror and you'll know the answer. It's not about them, it's about you.

January 20, 2012 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  7. Glenn Doty

I can't believe it... but I actually agree with something that Newt said.

This is disgraceful, this is beneath us... But of course this is also the kind of crap that Bush used to defeat McCain in 2000, and the republicans – including Newt – embraced him for it. As long as it continues to work, people will continue to use these tactics, and Newt will be first among them.

January 20, 2012 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  8. GonzoinHouston

I"d love to know who was really behind it. It looks a lot like something Karl Rove would pull, but I don't see why he would want to. Romney has the most to gain from this stunt, but he wouldn't risk getting caught, and claiming his super-PAC did it without his knowledge wouldn't be believed. Santorum, or his super-PAC, are suspects because he needs to beat Newt more than he needs to beat Romney at this point. Besides, his team is the most rabid anti-abortion group, and they would see a forced abortion as the ultimate sin. The only reason to suspect Ron Paul or his supporters is that he's the one you would least expect, therefore he has a better chance of getting away with it. I personally doubt Paul would be personally involved in this; just isn't his style.

Emails can be backtracked, sometimes. If the perpetrator is identified, whichever candidate he supports is toast. To fake something from one news outlet is to invite the wrath of all the media. Even Fox will go after them.

January 20, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  9. Bessy

Hm ! Wouldn't put it past him that he and his group are responsible for these letters. Trying to get the sympathy vote ?

January 20, 2012 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  10. lees

I don't personally like Newt Gingrich, but it thoroughly pisses me off that people do this kind of crap to ANY candidate. This is a Presidential Primary Election and people need to grow the hell up and treat it seriously. Our country is under attack, our bill of rights, our constitution....and we don't have time for these kinds of games. Personally I would not vote for Gingrich even if I had a gun to my head...but I would fight tooth and nail for a clean and honest election in our country.

January 21, 2012 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  11. vote the Tea Party OUT in 2012

so is it true that Newt's outburst at the debate was all planned? He knew King was going to ask him that question and also knew if he slammed the media the SC crowd would go nuts? I ask this because after the debate was all said and done Newt had nothing but decent things to say about CNN and John King. I'm sure the hot-headed Newt cooled off in time right? Give me a break, if nothing else Newt knows his crowd, his right wing base that love "red meat" and knows how to play them. You see in his rant he included Obama's name just to rile the crowd up more. And Obama had NOTHING to do with Newt and his ex-wife....the SC NASCAR crowd isn't very bright and Newt knows that too.

January 21, 2012 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  12. dina

This man, Newt brings out the worst in people because of his lack of moral values.And he represents the party of moral values in a state where this is supposed to matter to the evanglicals.

January 21, 2012 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  13. Loraine

Surely God will punish Newt for all the evil he is done. Maybe his punishment is living with "Callista." I hope she doesn't come down with any life-threatening ills–he might just leave HER for a more beautiful, more healthy female.

January 21, 2012 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  14. Henderson, NV Voter

I have a problem with Gingrich on a couple of levels but the most important to me is two fold. First, he has had 2 affairs, not one folks, but two. How do we know he isn't having one right now? I'm also not sure I want a woman as First Lady of this country who is not only willing to get involved with a marry man, but do it for 6 years. As republicans we talk about morality, family values, integrety... He says he has squared it with his church and admitts doing wrong. But I'm not sure the test of his moral strength is finished and we can declare him a "changed" man. Quote "The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior." Then there is the personality flaw of "foot and mouth" disease that he has. The lack of discipline, he suffers from. In my opinion there are only two possible options at this time for our candidate: Romney or Santorum. Sorry if i spelled either of those wrong.

January 21, 2012 02:49 am at 2:49 am |
  15. ct

I wonder how many times he had to ask god for forgiveness? 1 2 3 strikes your out.

January 21, 2012 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  16. Squigman

It's more and more apparent as time goes by republicans, know the cost of everythjing, but dont recognize the value of anything. Shameless opportunist, with appetites for power and money. And they'll use any person, or living being to get what they want.

January 21, 2012 03:16 am at 3:16 am |
  17. willie floyd

How wonderful SC is known for such FILTHY politics–NOT. As a native I only feel shame. Racist Bigots are alive and well.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2912

January 21, 2012 06:26 am at 6:26 am |
  18. petena

So why doesn't he negate it? Its probably true but his answer to everything he has done wrong is that GOD has forgiven him. We forgive you for having ran for president – now take that midnight train to Georgia.

January 21, 2012 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  19. Thomas

Newt and Mitt and Rick make Nixon look like the Dali Lama.

Newt is look see show , more head then brain .

January 21, 2012 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  20. dafy duck

the newt hit by an e mail,too bad it wasnt a truck

January 21, 2012 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  21. margaret brown

Frankly, Donald Trump and especially Hillary Clinton would make better candidates. Both are strong commincators, leaders, strong in foriegn policy issues. What we need is one of these to lead this country. Together, they have more balls than any of the current GOP wimpies!

January 21, 2012 10:46 am at 10:46 am |