GOP candidates hoping to win hearts and minds in South Carolina
January 20th, 2012

GOP candidates hoping to win hearts and minds in South Carolina

(CNN) - The four Republican candidates for the presidential nomination cranked up their campaigns on Friday, a day before South Carolina's crucial primary.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, and Texas Rep. Ron Paul planned events Friday across the hotbed of Southern conservatism.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • South Carolina
  1. SuperD

I'm tired of all these posts going "Newt is arrogant, Newt is mean, Newt stole my lunch money"

What this country needs is a BUTT KICKER President. Newt's the only one with the balls to do it.

You don't get standing ovations at debates if the public is not understanding your message.

Kick some butt Newt, the silent majority is behind you.

January 20, 2012 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  2. Annie, Atlanta

I watched part of that debate last night, as well as the ones in the past. It's like wandering into a cesspool. I felt dirty aftewards. Trying to wind the hears and minds of the people of SC with hateful rhetoric is an insult to the good people of SC. Is this how the GOP wins these days? Is this the red meat their base wants? Hate and attacks? Is this what we've come to?

January 20, 2012 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  3. Lynda/Minnesota

"Lyda what you got is a glimpse of the liberally biased media, paid for by corrupt union bosses trying to destroy anyone who disagrees with them. When has CNN ever had a fact squad checking what the most incompetent, inept, corrupt, union toady president we have ever had says?"

Nah. What I (and the world) got was a hypocrite blaming the media for bringing up his own infidelity. I suspect you are a FOX News fan. Nothing wrong in that if what they promote is your cup of tea. Do remember though, that FOX spent endless amounts of air time devoted to Gingrich and Clinton and Lewinsky. And, it is that which you term the liberally biased media that Newt ran to when Bill was found out. Hypocrisy is a two way street. Or as Mitt is found of pointing out "what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander."

January 20, 2012 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  4. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Rudy NYC - @Truth – What about the fact that the most of the Republican candidates support the Ryan Plan? What about the fact that the Ryan Plan would save the Koch brothers $4 billion a year in annual taxes? That would make for a mother lode of cash to secretly and anonymously provide to conservative policians under Citizens United
    ============================================================================================
    Honestly, I don't give a damn. I am not interested in stealing or confiscating others' wealth as you are. I am concerned with myself and my family. It'll probably do the very same thing for left wing socialist George Soros who also dumps billions into left wing political causes. I suppose you think that is good because that is what you favor, while the other is bad because you do not favor it?

And this whole Citizens United thing really amazes me and I do love how if has enraged the leftists who wish to control and shutdown ideas and speech they do not like or agree with. Isn't that EXACTLY what the old Soviet Union communists did? That is the insanity you are trying to sell to people. Only those afraid of their inferior ideas are afraid of free speech so I really do understand your concern about others spreading their ideas and opinions.

January 20, 2012 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  5. vic , nashville ,tn

Romney can’t win the hearts of SC

January 20, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  6. SecedingfromTexas

@Lynda/Minnesota:
    *************
    Good for you! These haters need to be confronted and exposed to America for their desperate attempts to tear
    down everything that is good for America. Sounds like they are running scared.

January 20, 2012 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  7. SecedingfromTexas

"...and this whole Citizens United thing really amazes me and I do love how it enrages the leftists"....
    ***************
    Apparently it enrages Newt and Mitt, too:
    Gingrich said: "Super Pacs have huge amounts of money. They're totally irresponsible, totally secret, and
    I think its a problem..."
    Mitt said: "..we all would like to have Super pacs disappear..."

January 20, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  8. Rudy NYC

Truth somebody wrote:

Honestly, I don't give a damn. I am not interested in stealing or confiscating others' wealth as you are. .... Much like Obama and his socialist administration wants to pick winners and losers in the commercial arena based on their political ideology, instead of letting the market, and PEOPLE, decide what they want, and what wins.
    -------
    Honestly, I believe the same thing that you "claimed" to believe. Government should not be in the business of picking winners and losers. But, it is perfectly to you for the government to pick winners when they are conservatives.

January 20, 2012 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  9. Lynda/Minnesota

@SecedingfromTexas

Hi, my good friend in Texas! Looks as if you and I are in the same boat: Bachmann and Perry, home again.

January 20, 2012 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  10. SecedingfromTexas

@Lynda:
    *****
    Yes, they are, but at least we kept them out of the White House, right?

January 20, 2012 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  11. SecedingfromTexas

Should have written @ Lynda/Minnesota. (oops)

January 20, 2012 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

SuperD wrote:

------–
    Which is exactly what made Gingrich's replies all the more appalling. He was sowing the seeds of racial discord, negative stereotypes, and blame. And, he received a standing ovation for it. The only demographic actually playing class and racial warfare in this country are standing far, far right of center.

January 20, 2012 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  13. Hammerer

Rudy, Rudy, Rudy where in the world do you get your ideas?

January 20, 2012 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |