Gabrielle Giffords to resign from Congress
January 22nd, 2012

Gabrielle Giffords to resign from Congress

(CNN) – Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords announced on her website Sunday that she will resign from Congress this week to continue her recuperation from the brain injury she suffered when shot just over a year ago.

"A lot has happened over the past year. We cannot change that," Giffords says in a video on her website, speaking in a halting voice.

"Thank you for your prayers and for giving me time to recover," she says in the video. "I have more work to do on my recovery. So to do what is best for Arizona, I will step down this week."

FULL STORY

Filed under: Gabrielle Giffords
  1. Dave

I do pray for her recovery. But this is a long time in coming. For the good of the people of her district she should have been replaced soon after the shooting.

January 22, 2012 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  2. James

Good luck in your recovery!. Clinton/Giffords 2016!!!!

January 22, 2012 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  3. dreucalypt

God bless her, and bring her a complete recovery.

January 22, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  4. HenryB

The best to you Gabby. In the midst of this congressional nonsense you stood strong. I assume that the governor will now have a say a who replaces you. As a resident of your district, I dread this. A rabid republican will likely be appointed.

January 22, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  5. OAG

A very A Class Lady. I wish her the very best on her continuing recovery.

January 22, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  6. GJ

Very sad news, but she needs to focus on her own recovery. She has done so much for her constituents at the cost of her own health, and almost her life. God bless you Gabrielle!

January 22, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  7. Larry in Houston

God Bless You Gabby !! I really don't blame you, it's not worth the hassle. Politics is nothing but a dirty / vicious / lying / cheating / Business.
    May You and Your husband do well, in Your future endeavors – and take care of each other.

January 22, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. Samir

Thank you for your service. Please take care and God bless you.

January 22, 2012 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  9. ClearAndPresentThinking

It is sad news, but it is what is best for her recovery. She is doing right by the citizens of her district. May God speed her recovery.

January 22, 2012 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  10. David in Denver

40 Republicans are spending the afternoon imagining themselves newly elected members of the House of Representatives.
    20 of them are calling political friends to gauge their chances.
    5 of them will declare their intentions to run within the week.
    And so it begins....

January 22, 2012 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  11. JeffH

I am a Canadian and I am very impressed with this woman. I wish her health and happiness and she comes across better than the clowns in Washington – even now.

January 22, 2012 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  12. Steve

Wishing her the best towards her recovery.

January 22, 2012 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  13. Carl Sande

Rep. Giffords, I am so sorry that you have had to make this difficult decision. Even though I hold a much more conservative viewpoint, I want to thank you for your service to our country and I pray for total recovery for you. Perhaps someday, when you feel strong enough, you can re-enter public service again, if that is something you desire.

Sincerely – Carl Sande

January 22, 2012 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  14. Anonymous

She has shown herself to be a remarkable person and has chosen to do the best thing for her constituents. A level of respect for the people of her districts and an example to others in Congress. I am certain she has the best wishes of all for her recovery.

January 22, 2012 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  15. Illeagle-j1

Although, it is a shame that she feels that she must step down, I can only say to Ms Giffords, your congnitive dificulties were brought on by action of some one who is deranged. But, by your abscence, it give rise into office to someone who has cognitive problems, because of their character or lack of said same. The county shall miss you Gabrielle Giffords. May the wind be at your wings forevermore!

January 22, 2012 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  16. Jim in Georgia

This is so sad... We all wish her the best.

January 22, 2012 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  17. shownee

II have a heavy heart. Rep. Giffords is an extraordinary woman and a dedicated public servant. She would have been an asset to our government for years to come. I hope for her all the best on the long road to recovery. She will continue to inspire me to never give up.

January 22, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  18. tepeters

She is a remarkable person with a great deal of integrity showing respect for the people of her district. A lesson for other members of Congress. I am certain everyone wishes her well as she continues her recovery.

January 22, 2012 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  19. Chris

Imagine that - a politician who resigns rather than take a chance on being a less-than-optimal public servant. Even though she feels she cannot be a good leader right now, she is a reminder that some leaders still have integrity, and she surely understands from this whole ordeal (if she did not already) the hardships we simple folk endure. I don't even live in Arizona, but I hope she decides to run again some day.

January 22, 2012 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  20. Enoch100

As admirable as she is, this is the right decision. May God be with her in her further recovery.

January 22, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  21. Olney Maryland

Congratulations to a remarkable lady for having made what must have been a very difficult decision. We wish you the best possible progress on your road toward improvement and recovery. You've been an inspiration to all of us.
    Perhaps if the flood of guns in our country had not made it possible for a dim-witted misfit to get his hands on one, all of this might not have happened.
    God bless you.
    your hard-earned

January 22, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  22. Janissa

An an Arizonan I am beyond sad, even though I do understand her reasons. My best to Gabby, and to the loyal staffers who've been keeping her office running for the citizens of our District 8.

January 22, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  23. OMally

All the best to Gabrielle Giffords. Wishing all the best in recovery and future endeavors.

It is so unfair for anyone to be able to take so much from another.

January 22, 2012 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  24. chatmandu002

I am a conservative and I want to wish Gabby well and thank her for her service to our nation.

January 22, 2012 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  25. benji

Palin must be proud of what she accomplished

January 22, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |