Paul skipping primary night in Florida
January 23rd, 2012

Paul skipping primary night in Florida

(CNN) – Want more proof Rep. Ron Paul is looking past Florida to February's contests? Well, here it is.

While the Republican presidential candidate and longtime congressman from Texas will attend both of the GOP debates being held in Florida this week (including a CNN debate on Thursday night in Jacksonville), Paul won't be in the Sunshine State on primary day, January 31.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @politicalticker

Instead the Paul campaign tells CNN the candidate will be in Nevada and Colorado. Nevada is next up after Florida in primary and caucus calendar, holding its caucuses on February 4.

Colorado's caucuses come three days later, on February 7. Minnesota and Missouri also hold contests the same day.

The Paul campaign told CNN last Friday that they also won't go up with TV commercials in the Sunshine State. With its multiple and more costly markets, Florida is an expensive state to run campaign ads. Instead Paul's going up with spots in Nevada and Minnesota.

Fifty delegates are up for grabs in Florida, but it's a winner-take-all state and Paul's campaign feels the can better spend their resources in February's early caucus states, where they think they have a better chance to pick up delegates.

Paul finished third in Iowa's January 3 caucuses, a strong second in New Hampshire's January 10 primary, and last in Saturday's South Carolina primary.

– Follow Paul Steinhauser on Twitter: @PSteinhauserCNN

Also see:

Santorum takes on Iran

Romney takes aim at Gingrich in Florida

Who is Saul Alinsky? A Gingrich line explained

Ethics penalty 'reimbursement,' says Gingrich

Filed under: 2012
  1. Florida Voter

@Gurgi: Then it's an issue with your state. This thread is about the election for President.

We get it–you hate Obama a whole lot. That's your right. But don't say it's because he raised your taxes. Because he didn't. By the way, not everyone who disagrees with you or points out your logical fallacies fits neatly into your liberal stereotype.

January 23, 2012 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  2. Gurgi

No, I don't hate Obama, I'm sure he is a nice person. However, I believe that any improvement in this country for the last three years has been in spite of the democratic policies, not because of them.

January 23, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  3. Florida Voter

@Gurgi: Maybe they went up because you made more money or landed in a different bracket or had a different set of deductions. Here's what I know: I'm not someone's "employee". I started and OWN my business, and I create jobs in this country. And my overall federal tax rates went down. Nearly everyone's did. Ask a CPA. Seriously man, look at the big picture; you're schilling against your own self-interest. (Unless you're a billionaire, in which case I totally understand your point of view). And here's a shocker for you: I like Ron Paul too! Yep. We like the same guy! I'd still pick Obama over Paul based on a host of issues, but RP makes sense an awful lot of the time and I think his voice is an important part of the debate. Heck, I like a healthy exchange of ideas; I just can't stand when people oversimplify, misrepresent, or demonize the Obama administration based on hollow GOP talking points. BHO has played it pretty close to the center and it's a mystery to me why the far right gets so apoplectic about his leadership.

January 23, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  4. Gurgi

@anonymous, thank you for proving my point, I have been "busted" on nothing.

January 23, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. older than dirt

The old guy needs to step aside and let the young blood take over his war on the socialism. Ron Paul started the fight
    and Rand Paul will finish it.

Rand Paul for President 2016

January 23, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  6. John

Ron Paul is not going to win the nomination or the presidency. Everybody knows it. Even RP knows it.
    I would have more respect for him if he would take the money that he's throwing away on this campaign and give it to charity.

January 23, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  7. chris matthews

Wow! I love seeing all of the Ron Paul supporter bicker about why Ron is answer. Although, I do agree we should not be fighting any war and ending the waron drugs. I cant get down with his economic policy. (I know I will probabbly get hammered by the Ron-bots for this).

January 23, 2012 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  8. Anonymous

Summary:

reGURGItater implies that President Obama is not good because reGURGItater's taxes went up. Later reGURGItater says it was his state taxes, over which President Obama has no control or influence, that went up.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is your brainwashed cultmember's intellectual dishonesty.

January 23, 2012 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  9. Florida Voter

@ my new friend Gurgi: I doubt they'll let me post the link, because CNN hates links in the comment board, but look up the Federal tax tables for 2008 and 2011. E file dot com has the federal tables in easy-to-access pdf's. It'll take you 60 seconds. All of our taxes went down my friend. I'll tell Barack to expect your thank you note.

January 23, 2012 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  10. HAHAHAHA

what I really love is to see all the Anti-Paul people make silly comments and prove themselves stupid...and most of these are over 50...if you discount the younger voters, you have basically ended the future of your party...old people are so slow to understand logic. :)

January 23, 2012 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  11. Bob

Probably needs to take a nap.

January 23, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  12. Alex

Florida is all old people and retards, anyway.

January 23, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  13. Honesty... The best policy.

Tell me how any other candidate will improve our country's overall spending crisis for our grandchildren. Don't fill me with all this garbage about picking and choosing what needs money and what doesn't because that just leads to an endless tug of war match between defense spending, outragiously expensive and vain programs, and wellfare, medicade, "I don't want to work because I'm American" type programs. Ron Paul says "Clean House!" We have to clean house and develop a federal budget that can be agreed to accross the board. As long as the federal government expects it's citizens to fund it's lobbied for programs we will never get back on track. The federal government needs to get out of the business of micro managing. Every other politician is for micro managing. He wants the states to have the power and revenue to enforce drug laws or whatever else the people of the states want to enforce. He is not "for marijuana." He is for LIBERTY! Something Americans are giving up little by little year after year. My personal opinion on the media is that if Ron Paul gets elected they will have no wars to cover and things will settle down to the point where they become irrelevant. Now that is a scarry thought...

January 23, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. Joe T.

It's all rigged. Obvious voter fraud in Iowa should let you know that. Do I want Ron Paul to win? I don't want any of them to win. I absolutely despise Romney and Gingrich. Santorum was a failure in my home state. So that leaves... Ron Paul. I do know that Ron Paul will never win especially with how voter fraud is rampant.

January 23, 2012 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  15. diridi

run on Third Party or Divert votes to Democratic Ticket. Solved. No Wars.

January 23, 2012 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  16. dave

i think everyone is missing the reason ron paul has the majority of the youth vote and the majority of the military vote. two obvious reasons are the youth will be the ones killed by our out of controll militarism. BUt another reason is that the young are part of the infomation superhighway. unlike south carolina who could not make up their vote until the right commercial caME OUT TO convince them: the young had read And done research on line (as simple as looking up speeches on you tube) so they weren't guided by news biased views (all anti paul) or debates where 3 candidates were emphasized and one ignored

January 23, 2012 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. Florida Voter

Gurgi? Are you there? Gurgi? GURGI? Guys, this is serious. I think something's happened to Gurgi.

January 23, 2012 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  18. Anonymous

"@anonymous, thank you for proving my point, I have been "busted" on nothing."

The ability to fall into a trance of deep denial is a psychological trademark of authoritarian cult followers such as yourself. Florida Voter has handed you your butt here, and proven you are lying. I proved you were a liar a few weeks back when you were spouting your falsehoods about how Dem opinions about the GOBP primary were irrelevant because we wouldn't vote in them. You got your butt handed to you when I pointed out that many of us evil libs plan to vote in the GOBP primary. Grow up and admit you are lacking in many areas.

January 23, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  19. doug

The only reason why senator (so-called president) obama made taxes go low is bcuz it is election season & is hoping all will re-elect him & so after re-inuaguration he will raise taxes on his useful-idiots who voted him back in fyi the recession is still n double-digit at 11% obama says itis 8.5% bcuz they will not count those who gave up looking that may b the law that they r not 2b counted but it is a crooked law that makes it possible 4 obama 2b reelected ron pual will beat obama bcuz he haz more indipendents on his side thats if hes nominated

January 23, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  20. glyder

no way he can win the party nomination.the establishment gop or media does not like him and the sheeple still listen to the establishment of one type or another.

January 23, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  21. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

@Alex
    Florida is all old people and retards, anyway.

January 23, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
    **************************************************************************************************

And alligators, hanging chads, etc.

January 23, 2012 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  22. Florida Voter

@Anonymous: Aw shucks. Come over for dinner? I've got a casserole in the oven.

January 23, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  23. Tony

When I found out that he wanted to legalized pot, he got my vote. He is a doctor and he sees the benefits by doing this.

January 23, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  24. Lynn

I can't understand why the voters would vote for a 76 yr. old man. Does anyone really think he will get better with age? He's frail looking now, with suits way too large to make him look robust. He's a frail old man.

January 23, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  25. Sean SC/RI

@dave that was very insightful...I am only 18 years old, and by watching the news everyday for the past 6 years of my life, I realized the bull crap that they put out. The internet, which we, the youth, are very good with has shown to be an exceptional tool on REALIZING THE TRUTH...RON PAUL 2012

January 23, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |