Paul skipping primary night in Florida
January 23rd, 2012

Paul skipping primary night in Florida

(CNN) – Want more proof Rep. Ron Paul is looking past Florida to February's contests? Well, here it is.

While the Republican presidential candidate and longtime congressman from Texas will attend both of the GOP debates being held in Florida this week (including a CNN debate on Thursday night in Jacksonville), Paul won't be in the Sunshine State on primary day, January 31.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @politicalticker

Instead the Paul campaign tells CNN the candidate will be in Nevada and Colorado. Nevada is next up after Florida in primary and caucus calendar, holding its caucuses on February 4.

Colorado's caucuses come three days later, on February 7. Minnesota and Missouri also hold contests the same day.

The Paul campaign told CNN last Friday that they also won't go up with TV commercials in the Sunshine State. With its multiple and more costly markets, Florida is an expensive state to run campaign ads. Instead Paul's going up with spots in Nevada and Minnesota.

Fifty delegates are up for grabs in Florida, but it's a winner-take-all state and Paul's campaign feels the can better spend their resources in February's early caucus states, where they think they have a better chance to pick up delegates.

Paul finished third in Iowa's January 3 caucuses, a strong second in New Hampshire's January 10 primary, and last in Saturday's South Carolina primary.

– Follow Paul Steinhauser on Twitter: @PSteinhauserCNN

Also see:

Santorum takes on Iran

Romney takes aim at Gingrich in Florida

Who is Saul Alinsky? A Gingrich line explained

Ethics penalty 'reimbursement,' says Gingrich

Filed under: 2012
  1. Ciera

I live in Florida, I'm 21, and I support Ron Paul for so many reasons. His policies on ending the federal reserve and income tax, as well as costly foreign wars and foreign aid, are the KEY to getting us out of this depression. Why doesn't anyone realize it?! I changed my party affiliation to Republican just to vote in the primary and I'm doing EVERYTHING I can do to get my friends educated, and I'm so happy that a lot of them, old and young, are listening. This guy is the only one to vote for who will do ANYTHING for us. Unlike those flip flopping losers who will say anything to get a vote and do anything to get a corporate buck. Romney, Gingrich, Obama, they're all the SAME!

January 23, 2012 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  2. Ciera

Why does this website moderate all my comments with my REAL and TRUE thoughts about Ron Paul? I am not spam!!!

January 23, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  3. mark

I watch CNN and watch my local daily,why is it that all news channels only talk about mitt and newt,How can we as a sociaty think this is ok ? I thought for sure CNN would see that they are not reporting fairly and see that they never mention Ron Paul. Our world is so un-fair even the news,and suprised that CNN does not get more flack for spending so much air time always on Gingrich and Romney. SHAME ON YOU CNN BE fair not mainstream or one-sided why cant you talk about all the canidates look at your show daily and you would see just how many times you mention Gingrich and Romney wow just so one sided , What about the other 2 ? CNN shame on you!!!!!

January 23, 2012 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  4. Insider

This is the only honest candidate. The fake tea parties in SC are supporting THE MOST corrupt neocon establishment person they can.. Neocons have the same agenda as progressives and Newt's record proves that.

You people are hypocrites you clamor for honesty then support the most corrupt person possible.

You deserve another four years of Obama which is what you'll get if Newt the clown is nominated.

Newt is not on 14 ballots, Ron is on all of them... it's a two man race now between Ron and that other reprobate Romney... who BOUGHT ALL HIS ENDORSEMENTS in NH by paying off their campaign debts.

And you heard that from an insider here in NH.

January 23, 2012 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  5. DENNA

The poor old man should just save his money and go home. He has no chance of being the nominee . . unless he can out-foolish Newt Gingrich. LOL Just go home Mr. Paul. If the GOP voters come to their senses, they will pick Mitt and not Newt, but I'm not seeing much good sense with these people since South Carolina had a chance to vote. What are they smoking?

January 23, 2012 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  6. Alva Puddin

The powers that be in the Republican party and many of it's major contributors are defense contractors and make their living from military spending. They would never, ever allow Congressman Paul to be the nominee because of his desire to close all military bases internationally and make dramatic cuts in defense spending. I hope that he does run as a third party candidate and dilute the Republican party. All the better for us Democrats.

January 23, 2012 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  7. John Henson

Mr. Paul won't win a single state and will only win few delegates. Why he doesn't fall out of the race now is beyond reasoning.

January 23, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  8. Death to Sycophants

Tony, he does not want to legalize pot. Stop spreading disinformation. You are not a Paul supporter. Ron Paul wants to end the War on Drugs.

January 23, 2012 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  9. Gurgi

@florida voter, I checked the website you gave and it actually shows no change in the percentage for my tax bracket. My employer could have changed the way they handle withholding, I don't know. It is still a drop in the paycheck. I'll check with my company to see why the difference. That being said, anyone, even you would do a better job in the white house. There have been plenty of other policies that have cause more harm than good.

January 23, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  10. Garret

It has always amused me how people bad-mouth individuals than have accomplished more in one life time than they will or their bloodline will do in 20 lifetimes. Dr Ron Paul is an inspiration to so many people who are tired of the politicians playing dirty in Washington. The one person that actually has standards and is willing to make things right, and you have idiots fighting over an out-of-touch-flip-flopping millionaire and a valueless troll.

January 23, 2012 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  11. PressRonPaul

There are more 50 year old pot heads than kids, just a little FYI Go Dr. Paul, onward and upward.

January 23, 2012 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  12. mark

We as a people of habit have always voted for republican or demicratic lets vote 4 change RON PAUL

January 23, 2012 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  13. Jeff

These comments sum up 3 things. 1) There are way too many people who enjoy being groped and violated by mainstream media. If you cannot see how corrupt they are by now, there's little hope. 2) A tonne of people who enjoy corporate control and lack of freedom, and 3) People who plain like to generalize and judge. eg) Only grass heads support RP, he's too old, etc. Good work.

January 23, 2012 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  14. billy

Hey Ron Paul, turn out the lights the party is over for you.Time to return to Texas ;-)

January 23, 2012 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  15. mommytwice

I could not possibly care less what Ron Paul does. His desire to return government to the size and functionality it was in 1920 is assuring he won't have my vote.

January 23, 2012 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  16. bookworm

Lynn, that "frail old man" is in better shape than a lot of people younger than him.
    "The wiry fiscal iconoclast tries to walk three or four miles in the morning and ride ten to 15 miles on his bicycle in the evenings. He reported his resting heart rate was 58 to 62 beats per minute and his blood pressure was 120 over 70 or 65." (Quoted from CNN article " Paul Hits the Bike Trail")

January 23, 2012 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  17. Bill

To Mitt and Newt: No Paul, no vote.

January 23, 2012 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  18. cf

I dont understand how Ronbots always claim that "The Media" is ignoring the man when there are constantly fluff pieces about him like this.

January 23, 2012 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  19. Obama for now

January 23, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  20. cf

Ron Paul: If you love drugs but hate roads, public schools, earning a fair wage, police and firefighters, clean air and water, having an education, and affording food, he's your man!

January 23, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  21. doug

Lynn – president ronald reagan got 2terms in office & carried all 49 states on election day & got more electoral votes than any president in history–all this after the age of 70

January 23, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

Obama for now

------------
    You forgot foreign policy and health care. In Paul's world, insurance companies can drop you if you get sick. If you cannot afford to pay for your major illness, then you should go to your local church and conduct a fund raiser....from your hospital bed, OOPS, I mean from your death bed in your bedroom.

January 23, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  23. Paul

"Obama for now

Love Ron Paul, the younger generation in my family are voting for Ron Paul. I will continue with Obama, but in case he does not fix the economy I might change parties, will see."

-and this is what I see, over and over, among Paul's supporters. I worked with a ton of them at Whole Foods. They have absolutely no idea what he actually intends to do. It's as if there's been stardust sprinkled over a certain demographic.

January 23, 2012 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  24. bayrat399

Ron Paul 2012!! He's got my vote and i'm 55 years young!

January 23, 2012 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  25. skarphace

Republicans need to wake up fast if they truly want Obama replaced in 2012. The only candidate that has a real chance to beat Obama in 2012 is Ron Paul.

Here are the facts: Ron paul currently is supported by only 14% of Republicans, but he only trails by 5.1% in national heads-up polls against Obama. This shows that he has incredible support from moderate Democrats and Independents. These are the groups that wil decide the 2012 election, not those who have already decided to either vote for Obama or for 'ABO'.

'ABO' is a fallacy. Nominate Romney, Gingrich, or especially Santorum, and you will see the err of your ways as these groups bite the bullet and vote for Obama again.

January 23, 2012 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |