Breaking (sort of): Colbert pulls out of race
January 24th, 2012

Breaking (sort of): Colbert pulls out of race

(CNN) - Following his big rally endorsing Herman Cain for president in South Carolina last week, comedian Stephen Colbert announced Monday he was calling it quits.

"My fellow Americans of South Carolina: While your turnout on Saturday was historic, unfortunately–and no one could have predicted this–Herman Cain did not win the South Carolina primary," Colbert said on his Comedy Central show.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @politicalticker

He added: "So it is with a heavy heart and a spastic colon, that I am re-suspending Herman Cain's suspended campaign."

Colbert had tried to get his name on the Palmetto State ballot, but since he missed the November filing deadline and because the state doesn't allow write-in votes, Colbert urged supporters to vote for the former Godfather's Pizza executive in his stead.

Cain suspended his campaign last month but his name remained on the ballot.

The faux TV news host also announced plans to end his own short-lived White House bid, saying he was shutting down the presidential exploratory committee he started nearly two weeks ago - members of which, he joked, included Henry Kissinger, a "super intelligent" ferret, the iPhone software Siri, and a roll of quarters.

"So now that my exploration has come to an end, who knows what I'm going to do. Maybe I'll be like Herman Cain and hit the road in a bus with my face on it," Colbert said. "Maybe I'll hit the road in a bunch of tiny cars, each with a different part of my face on it."

Also see:

Gingrich close to 'money bomb' goal

Gingrich lands Fred Thompson endorsement

New year, old fights in Congress

Filed under: 2012 • South Carolina • Stephen Colbert
  1. UN Owen

Too bad the fool that wrote this didn't mention that Colbert actually said the only candidate still in the race that he likes was Ron Paul.

January 24, 2012 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  2. JonDie

Jo Jo: "If nothing else, Colbert has shown just how comedic this whole republican presidential election has become..."

I disagree. The GOP field is pretty comedic even without Steven Colbert.

January 24, 2012 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  3. ufadoof

He was the only "republican" candidate. The rest are a bunch of fascists with the exception of Ron Paul who is just plain kooky.

January 24, 2012 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  4. Dawn Tarr

For those of you Republicans who actually think that Colbert is actually a Republican(and yes folks there are people who think that).....you should not even be allowed to vote, you are one burger short of a happy meal. For those republicans who think that think Colbert is making a mockery of the election of the president......SERIOUSLY.........SC JUST VOTED FOR NEWT!!!!! NOW THAT IS A MOCKERY!!! And lastly, Does anyone else get the feeling that Herman Cain didn't get it either?

January 24, 2012 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  5. talbet

I like the guy OK but his 'campaign' was just stupid and annoying.

January 24, 2012 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  6. Lizzy10

Aw, now who am I going to vote for?

January 24, 2012 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  7. nobody special

Colbert & Stewart are brilliant. Watch them, and learn something.

January 24, 2012 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  8. chugger

I miss colbert already! Our nation needs u

January 24, 2012 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  9. sb

For those wanting to know Herman Cain placed 5th in South Carolina with 6324 or 1.1 % of the votes. Compare with Ron Paul at 77993 (13%) in the 4th place. Remaining in order Perry 2494 (0.4%), Huntsman 1161 (0.2%), Bachmann 494 (0.1%). For someone who dropped out before the race started, Cain did quite well, but trust the media to not even report the details.

January 24, 2012 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  10. Keith

Pat Paulsen, where are you now that we really need you?

January 24, 2012 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  11. Peter

I am sure the lamestream media torpedoed Colbert with a bunch of liberal lies as the drive-by media always does. Unlike the socialist Obama.......wait a minute......I lost my talking points containing all my key words...oh wait......here it is.......now, where was I??..... Oh yes, Obama with his teleprompter, fake birth certificate which he probably made himself when he was working as a community organizer, or maybe while vacationing or playing golf. Hussein, I am sure, just called up his Muslim buddies for tips on how to apologize for our country when he travels outside the USA.

January 24, 2012 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  12. John

Kudos to Colbert and Stewart for showing Americans the ugly truth of the Citizens United ruling and Super-Pacs.

January 24, 2012 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  13. what

OMG! Does that mean there's an unaffiliated rogue super-PAC loose in the country?

January 24, 2012 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  14. Marie MD

It's kind of funny that a comedian steps down but the real clowns stay on. What a country!
    At least he brought to light what super pacs are really about and it's not about We The People. Oh never mind, corporations are people. How could we forget!

January 24, 2012 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  15. Kent Bowen

I'm glad he dropped out, I was having trouble deciding between Pat Paulsen and Colbert.

January 24, 2012 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  16. independent

He suspended his exploratory committee for running for President of South Carolina. That doesn't mean he cannot announce an exploratory committee for running for President of Florida. :-)

January 24, 2012 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  17. The real Ron Paul

I agree with everything colbert says, except his foreign policy can't have an isolationist when there is still more war mongering to do

January 24, 2012 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  18. He had no choice

It is with a heavy heart, and arthritic fingers that I type this message. It is a shame he had to duck out of the race... I think it was when he realized that, unlike all the Republican losers who want to challenge Obama for the Presidency, he might actually have accidentally won, and THEN what would he do? Colbert is funny, cerebral, has impeccable timing and wonderful delivery. I'm sorry to see him drop out, but he really had no choice. No one in his right mind WANTS to be President of the US, just wanting to be should be a disqualifying factor due to mental stability issues, or an alarming desire to seize political power over his or her fellow Americans.

Colbert is brilliant, but he's not insane, making him a poor choice for a Republican Presidential candidate.

I watch with mild amusement the shenanigans that are the Republican field culling, to see who it is Obama is going to destroy in November, or to see if whichever mistake wins the Republican primary, manages to destroy himself first.

OTOH, who knows? Maybe we'll end up with an independent President, someone not beholden to some rich, shadowy group of men pulling our government's strings... as a result of the Republican's games. Wouldn't that be great? He would be the first popularly elected president of the US since George Washington, NOT to be affiliated with either of the two major political parties of the time.

January 24, 2012 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  19. ItsMe

Never could get Colbert's politics/superPAC/running for president in SC. I'm intrigued by how some people I admired and respect, can put themselves in stupid situations. Though I don't share his political affiliarions, I like Donald Trump, same with Colbert, I watch his show. Why they do stupid things that devalue who they're?.I'll never understand. The whole vote for Cain when the guy was already history, well, it was stupid if he was trying to make a point.

January 25, 2012 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  20. Tr1Xen

@Don A lot of people find him entertaining, dude. Try relaxing those sphincter muscles and LAUGH once in a while. ;D

January 25, 2012 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  21. Ardath

Well, rats. If Cthulhu drops out, too, I'm going to be stuck voting for a lesser evil.

January 25, 2012 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  22. David

He's a crook!

January 25, 2012 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  23. ThinkAgain

"Why they do stupid things that devalue who they're?" Hellooooooo! Colbert is playing the fool and using satire to expose and explain to the American people the Citizens United ruling, and how it is allowing unlimited, untraceable donations to political campaigns, not just by Americans, but by any foreign entity. And the "rules" surrounding Super PACs – HA! They're silly at best, in that if you think they don't coordinate with candidates, then I've got some swampland in Arizona I'd like to sell you.

Keep up the good work, Stephen and Jon! We need you now more than ever!

January 25, 2012 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  24. tct

Does that mean he'll stop speaking truthiness to the powery?

January 25, 2012 01:36 am at 1:36 am |