January 25th, 2012

Giffords resigns from House

(CNN) - Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who moved the nation with an improbable comeback after a gunman shot her in the head last year, formally resigned Wednesday in an emotional appearance in the U.S. House of Representatives.

"I will recover and will return," the Arizona Democrat said in a letter read aloud by her friend and colleague, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who fought back tears as she read.

Click here to read the resignation letter she delivered to House Speaker John Boehner.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Arizona • Gabrielle Giffords • House
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Ms. Gifford we wish you a complete recovery. I must say whether staged or not that it was indeed gratifying to see your political 'opponent' seated next to you last night offering his assistance.
    Civility. What a concept. You deserve no less.

January 25, 2012 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  2. The GOP opens mouth and inserts foot

Giffords is a strong person, and I wish her a complete recovery. I hope she can come back to Congress in the future.
    She's a class act, folks. You don't see something like Giffords every day. She's an inspiration to us all.

January 25, 2012 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  3. A True Centrist

Good luck in your recovery Rep. Giffords

January 25, 2012 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  4. 1crusader

I am so sorry to see Gabby Giffords leave Congress.She seemed sincere, congenial, and like a breath of fresh air.I wish her husband would run for her seat.I hope that, in her honor, Congress would take up sensible gun laws.Nobody wants to take the sane's and law-abiding citizen's rights away from them to own a gun; but what happened to her and the others that died was senseless, and inexcusable.God bless you, Gabby !

January 25, 2012 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  5. Rudy NYC

We will wish for her return to public service whenever she feels the time is right.

January 25, 2012 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  6. The Real Tom Paine

She will be missed. It was nice to Rep Jeff Flake support her (sometimes literally) during the address last night. Its unfortunate that display was not a more common feature of our discourse, as well as civility.

January 25, 2012 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  7. joyceelaine cutliff

God bless, Ms. Giffords.

January 25, 2012 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I read her letter.
    She is indeed a courageous woman, and a class act.
    God bless Ms. Guifford.

January 25, 2012 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  9. Janet

I was lucky enough to get to perform with the Tucson Symphony chorus at the candlelight vigil a couple of weeks ago. Gabby looked good, but you could tell so many things are still hard for her. Jeff Flake was sitting just across from me. He seems like a nice guy. I told him I couldn't vote for him because he couldn't operate a glow stick. I actually can't anyway, but that's another story. Get better Gabby. We'll miss you.

January 25, 2012 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  10. Marie MD

That's too bad but she needs time to really recuperate. Mi truly believe she will be back.
    Godspeed to you.
    As far as gun laws from another poster, the NRA owns congress. I'd they didn't act when Reagan was shot along with Brady and a secret service agent you think they care?

January 25, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  11. Fair is Fair

Get well soon, Ms. Giffords.

January 25, 2012 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |