Romney gets Orlando Sentinel endorsement
January 25th, 2012

Romney gets Orlando Sentinel endorsement

(CNN) - A newspaper in a battleground region of Florida cast its endorsement Wednesday morning to Mitt Romney, calling him a "steady and competent leader for these divisive and turbulent times."

Romney received the support of the Orlando Sentinel, which in 2008 endorsed Sen. John McCain and circulates in the demographically diverse central area of the state.

CNN LIVE: Tune in Thursday at 8 p.m. ET for the CNN/Republican Party of Florida Debate hosted by Wolf Blitzer and follow it on Twitter at #CNNDebate. For real-time coverage of the Florida primary, go to CNNPolitics.com or to the CNN apps or CNN mobile web site.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @politicalticker

The paper defended Romney from criticism related to his tenure at Bain Capital and the health reform legislation he signed when Governor of Massachusetts.

"They've blistered him for passing a health-care-reform plan as governor," the Sentinel said. "We give Romney credit for working with lawmakers in his state to solve a problem without waiting for Washington to dictate a solution, which is exactly what happened."

Romney's leadership experience differentiates him from the remaining GOP field, the paper said, leveling a harsh assessment of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

"We admire his intellect, but when it comes to leadership, anger doesn't trump a diverse and successful record," it read.

The paper dismissed Texas Rep. Ron Paul's "radical anti-government agenda," and said the leadership of Rick Santorum, the former Pennsylvania senator, would be distracted because he is "preoccupied with divisive social issues."

Romney's list of endorsements in Florida includes the Tampa Bay Times, the state's attorney general, and several influential Cuban-Americans.

Also see:

New Freddie Mac contract prohibits 'lobbying activities'

Romney resets image with postcards from the edge

Gingrich gets major help

Filed under: 2012 • Florida • Mitt Romney
  1. Brenda

Steady and competent is what we need in our President. Romney is a leader and he will lead the US with sound, rational thinking.

January 25, 2012 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  2. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Steady is one thing we need in a president, and I really doubt the serial flip flopper could be called 'steady.' I believe the term is erratic.

January 25, 2012 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  3. george of the jungle

who cares. Obama Biden 2012

January 25, 2012 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  4. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Nice crowd.

January 25, 2012 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  5. Jariv

Go Mitt !!! I sent a letter to Orlando Sentinel to Endorse him. I guess they looked into it. Nice....
    It probably wasn't because of me, but its great.

January 25, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  6. Lee

I will NOT vote for Newt, no matter what. For me it is Romney or Obama. I vote for family values. Newt has no values at all.

January 25, 2012 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  7. Brenda

Look at Mitt's history and record as governor and in his private life before you call him a flip flopper. I live in Massachusetts. He has been as steady as it gets in actual policy. He worked with the 85% democratic legislature as much as he could in finding common ground, but he also stood up for his principles. When he came into office as governor we were in an economic bust. When he left office our budget was balanced and we had a $2 billion rainy day fund. He has a conservative history and a history of being able to turn things around.

January 25, 2012 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  8. skalamba

Romney will win the nominee and this will give a big boost for him Romney performs excellent in all performance and even in the last performance debate that he really beat Newt!!!!! go Romney!!!!Newt has a lot of baggage and issues.Romney knows hot to create jobs and he understand how to create jobs.

January 25, 2012 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  9. Rudy NYC

Mitt Romney constantly points to his experience at Bain Capital, but refuses to divulge any details of what he accomplished while at Bain Capital.

He's like some guy walking on to the football field and telling the coach that he should be the starting quarterback for the next four years because he has experience at being a quarterback and has thrown 10o touchdowns. So that coach asks this guy, "Where did you do this?" The guy replies, "The name of the team that I played for was Bain Capital, but I cannot tell you how I did it. But, if you use me, then you will see how good I am."

January 25, 2012 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  10. Larry in Houston

amazing, isn't it ? If you go fact checking, Romney has been receiving endorsements since this whole thing started, I mean since Before Iowa . . . I would guess that Romney has 20 times the endorsements that Any of his Rivals ever has, or had. Take a look at Bush #1 / McCain / all the newspaers in N.H. / the governor in s.c. / I don't remember all of the endorsements he's had right off hand, without fact checking, but the amazing to me is : his poll numbers isn't any more than his usual 20 or 25 %
    After hearing the state of the union speech – I was very impressed – I still would honestly Vote for Obama – hands down.

Larry in Houston

January 25, 2012 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  11. vic , nashville ,tn

It didn’t work in the past it won’t work in the future

January 25, 2012 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  12. Anonymous

I love the R-money groupies that post here, like Jariv and Brenda. R-money has no principles except to further the interests of the psychopathic corporate predators corrupting our government and economy while hidden among the elite 1%.

January 25, 2012 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  13. Thomas

Mitt keeps referring to America moving towards Western European policy.

More fear tactics from the Right.

If we acted similar to to Western Europe in regards to stabilizing the housing market . We would be i n better shape , people would still be in there homes. Both lenders and owners would have split the economic hit .
    Corporations that Mitt reefers to as people are now buying up real-estate at pennies on the dollar . I find Romney's wisdom lacking in cause and effect , he only thinks of the bottom line.

January 25, 2012 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  14. Bob in Annapolis

re: Larry in Houston;

And that my friend is the problem. Too many Americans are impressed by lofty speeches and end up with an empty suit such as our current POTUS.

January 25, 2012 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |