January 25th, 2012

Romney's tough talk on Castro

Miami, Florida (CNN) - Mitt Romney came out swinging against Cuban leader Fidel Castro in a speech before a Cuban group in Miami Wednesday, and criticized President Obama for easing relations between the United States and Cuba.

"If I'm fortunate to become the next president of the United States, it is my expectation that Fidel Castro will finally be taken off this planet," Romney told the US-Cuba Democracy PAC. "I doubt he'll take any time in the sky. He'll find a nether region to be more to his comfort."

CNN LIVE: Tune in Thursday at 8 p.m. ET for the CNN/Republican Party of Florida Debate hosted by Wolf Blitzer and follow it on Twitter at #CNNDebate. For real-time coverage of the Florida primary, go to CNNPolitics.com or to the CNN apps or CNN mobile web site.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @politicalticker

Romney prompted cheers in the audience when he faulted Obama for easing some restrictions on traveling and sending remittances to Cuba by Cuban-Americans.

"This president does not understand that by helping Castro, he is not helping the people of Cuba. He is hurting them. He is not putting forward a policy of freedom, he is accommodating and encouraging a policy of oppression," Romney said. "If I'm president of the United States, we will return to Helms-Burton and the law, and we will not give Castro any gifts."

The Helms-Burton Act strengthens an embargo between the United States and communist Cuba.

Also see:

New Freddie Mac contract prohibits 'lobbying activities'

Romney resets image with postcards from the edge

Gingrich gets major help

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. Independent in NC

Pandering to Cuban-Americans in Fl. Mitt. Good grief Romney will say and do anything for a vote. Some of the people he was pandering to have relatives in Fl. Castro is in his 80's at that age we are all usually taken off the planet, but is by God Romney. Of course God is something Romney knows little about. What a stupid statement.

January 25, 2012 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  2. adam

Nether region?

Is Romney saying something about Castro's swimsuit area?

January 25, 2012 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  3. kessas

Really what a shame. This guy looked quite a descent candidate, but now! Common citizens of any country should not be the tool for the political games. This is one of the main rules I think.

January 25, 2012 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  4. kessas

yes sir. My brother visited Cuba few years ago. Nice beaches, quite trashy streets and buildings, but when I saw 1940s car everything is over.

January 25, 2012 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  5. sick of republican phonies

"it is my expectation that Fidel Castro will finally be taken off this planet. I doubt he'll take any time in the sky. He'll find a nether region to be more to his comfort." WHAT DOES THIS GIBBERISH EVEN MEAN???!?!!?

January 25, 2012 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  6. DDanny1

I am a retired airline and corporate pilot. In December 97 and January 98 I flew members of the Vatican and several representatives of several U.S. Archdiocese to Cuba to prepare for and attend Pope John Paul II visit toward the end of January. My co-pilot and I were treated as sharing the Diplomatic Immunity that was extended to the Vatican. Therefore, we had total freedom to go and do what we wanted totally unhampered by anyone. We took advantage of the situation and explored as much as we could both on foot and we would sometimes hire cabs for entire days and have the cabbie just take us whereever he wanted, as long as it wasn't the tourist resorts. Two things surprised me greatly. How many Cubans spoke English. And how much the people love and respect Castro.
    You always hear how oppressed they are and how much they hate Castro, but I can promise you this. If we were to invade Cuba tomorrow, we better count on fighting our way through about 10million or so Cubans on the beach armed with rocks and sharp sticks. I would bet anything that even of you were to take a secret poll, you would find we have few, if any Presidents in out history that is as well loved when they were alive.
    Most of the Cubans in Miami are Batistas. The Batistas were the ones Castro rebelled against and threw out of Cuba. Of course they hate him. But before Castro took over the Batistas ruled the government in secret with an iron hand.

January 25, 2012 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  7. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

OK Mitt... Why don't you go down and talk to Fidel man to man. Challenge him to a duel, tough guy. Winner stays this side of the grass. Makes no difference to me. Regardless of the outcome, humanity wins...

January 25, 2012 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  8. Luke Brown

OOOOOOOhhhhh! That is so tough. I'll bet neither Castro will sleep well tonight.

Who would have thought Mr. Mittens would have the guts to attack Castro in Florida ... just before an election ! That Romney has what it takes to be President for sure. Take that Newt!

January 25, 2012 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |