January 25th, 2012

Santorum to prepare tax returns this weekend

Naples, Florida (CNN) – Rick Santorum told reporters on Wednesday that he plans to head home to Virginia over the weekend for the first time since Christmas to prepare his tax returns for public release and attend some fundraisers.

"Frankly, I've got to get home because everyone's asking for my tax returns," Santorum said. "I got to get home and I got to get these tax returns so everybody gets what they've been asking for. And so we're putting that together. I got to get home to do it and I want to get that issue, you know out there and behind me so I'm not the guy that's not doing their taxes."

CNN LIVE: Tune in Thursday at 8 p.m. ET for the CNN/Republican Party of Florida Debate hosted by Wolf Blitzer and follow it on Twitter at #CNNDebate. For real-time coverage of the Florida primary, go to CNNPolitics.com or to the CNN apps or CNN mobile web site.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @politicalticker

Although his campaign has said that the details of the candidate's schedule is still in flux, Santorum told reporters that he plans to head back north on Saturday.

"We have a fundraiser in Pennsylvania and one in Virginia that we're doing, we got to raise money and you guys keep demanding my taxes so I got to go get them," Santorum said to the crowd of reporters walking with him back to his car.

When asked if that means he'd release his returns on Monday, Santorum said he'd "release them when we get them together."

Santorum then climbed into the passenger seat of the now-famous "Chuck Truck" – a Dodge Ram pickup truck driven by Iowa campaign aide Chuck Laudner. The truck drove the candidate campaign around Iowa and helped him pull out a surprising victory in the state's caucuses. It reappeared in both New Hampshire and South Carolina, but failed to bring the same kind of luck as it had in the Hawkeye State.

Also see:

New Freddie Mac contract prohibits 'lobbying activities'

Romney resets image with postcards from the edge

Gingrich gets major help

Filed under: 2012 • Rick Santorum • Taxes
  1. Get It Right

Wow, Iowa is the Buckeye state? That might come as a shock to those from Ohio....

January 25, 2012 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  2. Texas Doc

So, uh, I will get right to that because I am the kind of guy that does stuff, and not the guy who doesn't do stuff, just a guy and his stuff. Really, no wonder he lost his senate seat.

January 25, 2012 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  3. ART

Who cares he's thru

January 25, 2012 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  4. gb

Does anyone really care about his taxes??

January 25, 2012 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  5. Laverne

Well what about your 2010 taxes???

January 25, 2012 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  6. Beverly - NYC

Don't recall anyone asking for your returns Rick, we all know you won't be in the race much longer for so no need to rush.

January 25, 2012 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  7. Phil in KC

Really – who asked for them? I know there's been a fuss over Romney's. Maybe Rick trying to play the 'me too' game. Like the little kid in the corner with his hand raised, going "oo oo don't forget about me!".

January 25, 2012 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  8. Jake

does anyone care!?

January 25, 2012 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  9. arale norimaki

Rick Santorum is the anti-gay, anti-abortion guy who is running on these social issues. Never mind health reform or jobs. Or anything important or non-discriminatory, for that matter.

January 25, 2012 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  10. T'sah from Virginia

►"Frankly, I've got to get home because everyone's asking for my tax returns," Santorum said.◄

Why is it that each candidate is "rushing" to fill out taxes for last year? We truly do not want to see something that was not already "prepared" or filed (which is what ginGRINCH did and I think Romney, if he showed us 2011 taxes). All of the candidates think the American people are stupid. We're not and can see through all of it!!

Obama 2012 – Why? Because we saw his taxes for the past 5-6 years!!

January 25, 2012 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  11. GI Joe

With his 7 deductions, and a mansion to caim interest payments, I guess his tax rates will be pretty low. Not to mention unearned income. What a P.O.S. He could get a laptop and do them on the road -- I did for years when I was a consultant in the computer industry.

Wait - Is that why he took his deceased child home for a night? To claim another deduction for the whole year?

January 25, 2012 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

------------------------
    Santorum you're pathetic, and besides the point.
    You're the guy that didn't get invited to the party talking about what a great time everyone else had there.
    I haven't heard a single soul ask for your taxes,this year's or previous years. Nobody cares about you or them.
    Go home to your home-schooled 29 kids. They care about you, that's where you belong. Home.

January 25, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  13. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Will his tax rate be lower than Romney's 13.9% or higher than Newt's 31%? I just cannot wait to find out. not really.

January 25, 2012 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |