January 27th, 2012

Paul makes unannounced stop to meet with Maine gov.

Lewiston, Maine (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul met with Maine Republican Gov. Paul LePage on Friday, a stop that was not announced as part of the congressman's public schedule.

"He called and asked to meet," Paul told CNN when asked how the meeting with LePage came about.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @politicalticker

Paul campaign manager Jesse Benton said the meeting went well. It's unclear what the two men discussed.

LePage won office in November 2010 with significant tea party support. Shortly after, in January, the blunt-speaking governor sparked controversy after saying that an NAACP chapter could "kiss my butt." The governor later explained: "They are a special interest. End of story...and I'm not going to be held hostage by special interests. And if they want, they can look at my family picture. My son happens to be black, so they can do whatever they'd like about it."

The meeting with Paul, himself popular with many tea partiers, fell in the middle of a Friday schedule book-ended by a morning event in Bangor and an evening town hall in Lewiston about 100 miles away. The congressman also attended an afternoon event at Colby College in Waterville.

On Saturday, Paul is scheduled for three events in the state.

–Follow Shannon Travis on Twitter: @ShanTravisCNN

Also see:

Analysis: When disclosure is so simple it's complicated

Romney campaign will amend disclosure forms

Jeb bush offers no endorsement, but a warning

Filed under: 2012 • Maine • Ron Paul
  1. Gupone

Can we say "Endorsement"

January 27, 2012 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  2. GOP = Greed Over People

And this would be news, because?

January 27, 2012 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  3. stranger in an increasingly strange land

Considering Paul's advanced years and diminished capacity, maybe the old psycho just got lost.

January 27, 2012 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  4. Jeff

What the heck is wrong with you CNN? Why do you have to get a jab in on the Governor?
    What does the Gov. spat with some lobby have to do with the meeting with Congressman Paul?

You are pathetic.

January 27, 2012 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  5. Larry L

He's the Ralph Nader of the Republican Party. Most of his ideas make sense, some of them are completely ridiculous. Anarchy and isolationism don't work in this complex and interconnected world.

January 27, 2012 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  6. cisco4

Ron says he is against money going into student loans cause it drives up the cost of college.. But Ron .. If USA students cannot be loaned money to go to school.. and they just sit it out.. won't foreign students with rich parents flock in to our schools?.. So really Ron think on this again.. Yes in your day and mine times were simiplier// Bus its a new day..We need a modified free college education to some ettent....Get with the tiems today Ron.. You do have some good ideas others not so good...

January 27, 2012 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  7. Mike

The numbers would favor Paul Vs Obama. Independent vote and Young vote along with Republicans that want Obama out ASAP vote. Don't forget those that really voted for change! They didn't get change and we all know it. Now Ron Paul is spreading a new message of change that will reduce power of Govt. People are ready to fire the Govt. Thanks CNN for doing this story. There may yet be hope.

January 27, 2012 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  8. libertea

Yeah, finally a real tea-party governor paying his dues to the God father, Ron Paul.

January 27, 2012 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  9. RP713

gotta love how cnn attacks the governor preemptively just in case this leads to an endorsement.

January 27, 2012 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  10. Tom Tebow

I have a feeling that there will be some very big news from Maine tomorrow regarding endorsements for Dr. Ron Paul… I hope CNN doesn’t miss the story like they did the four HUGE endorsements for Ron Paul in South Carolina.

January 27, 2012 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  11. ADP

When he endorses Paul, the media will black it out, Soviet style, rest assured. Could anybody really doubt we are an empire at this point? The population is completely deluded and desensitized to murder, and the legitimacy of our democracy, with all the voting irregularities, is seriously in question. Therefore so is the legitimacy of the government itself. This is real, and it isn't a conspiracy theory because I don't believe it's true, but I confess, I am left seriously wondering... if crisis eventually befalls us and people rise up, would that be wrong?

January 27, 2012 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  12. Mark

Watchout Mr. Paul.
    When you lay down with dogs you get flea's. I like some of your idea's but, if you start hanging out with
    the tea bag crowd I won't even think about voting for you. You would be better off as an Independent
    than to go down that road.

January 27, 2012 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  13. Charlie from the North

I respect Ron Paul , though I disagree with him in several areas. Governor LePage is tri-fecta of what is wrong with the GOP now that the Tea Party has taken it over. He is wrong, stupid and mean.

January 27, 2012 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  14. Greg

What does the Governor's inconsequential remark about a special interest group have to do with this story, and why was that information included? If I didn't know better I'd think the author is trying to leave the reader with the impression that Ron Paul is associating with racists.

January 27, 2012 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  15. Catherine

An endorsement from Paul LePage would be fantastic! I love Paul LePage, I think he is doing a great job as governor, and I am a big fan of Ron Paul too so I would be very happy if LePage endorses Ron Paul! :-)

January 27, 2012 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  16. Anonymous

That Maine governor is a total rightwing whack job. It's disappointing to see Paul palling around with him.

January 27, 2012 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  17. Ken

Reading the original article, I understand why the governor sparked such controversy. However I also understand the governor's position also, he shouldn't be disallowed from meeting with prisoners of any race on MLK day. Why she he only be allowed to meet with black prisoners?

January 28, 2012 03:59 am at 3:59 am |
  18. Mr A

He may be 76 but he beats the hell of any 40 years old politician. Ron Paul ; The next president of the world !

January 28, 2012 04:45 am at 4:45 am |