January 28th, 2012

Herman Cain endorses Gingrich

(CNN) - Former Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain endorsed Newt Gingrich Saturday at an event in West Palm Beach, Florida.

"I hereby officially and enthusiastically endorse Newt Gingrich for president of the United States," Cain said during a meeting of the Palm Beach County Republican Party.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Cain cited the former House speaker's "bold ideas" as the basis for his choice, saying Gingrich wasn't afraid to propose big ideas that would benefit the nation, even if they invited the ridicule of his rivals.

"There are many reasons, but one of the biggest reasons is that I know that Speaker Gingrich is a patriot," Cain said. "Speaker Gingrich is not afraid of bold ideas and I also know that Speaker Gingrich is running for president and going through this sausage grinder. I know what this sausage grinder is all about. I know that he is going through this sausage grinder because he cares about the future of the United States of America."

Appearing on CNN "Newsroom" after making his endorsement, Cain said Gingrich's platforms closely matched his own, including the 9-9-9 tax plan.

"When you find a candidate that basically is running still on the ideas and the ideologies that I was running on, along with him embracing 9-9-9, then it was a no-brainer and I thought that the timing was right," Cain said.

Gingrich said at the West Palm Beach event Saturday Cain's 9-9-9 plan would become part of the national conversation, but the candidate has not offically adopted the tax proposal as part of his platform.

While Cain enjoyed a spike in polls last fall, the impact of his endorsement is unclear. When he dropped out of the race in December, polls showed him toward the back of the pack of candidates. Asked on CNN Saturday how his endorsement would effect the race, Cain said he was more focused on guiding his remaining supporters.

"I don't care about where he stands in the polls," Cain said of Gingrich. "And whether my endorsement helps him or not, that's not the point. It's to let my supporters know that he is the closest to what I represented when I was still a candidate."

In a statement, Gingrich applauded Cain as a fellow "big ideas" candidate,

“America’s challenges are too great for mere tinkering around the edges," Gingrich said. "Just like Herman, who ran his campaign based on big ideas, I am running on bold solutions that will boost job creation, cut bureaucratic red tape, and fundamentally transform Washington."

Cain also accepted Gingrich's invitation to co-chair the former speaker's Tax Reform and Economic Growth Advisory Council, according to the release.

Cain ended his bid for the 2012 GOP nomination in early December after battling allegations of past sexual harassment. Cain attracted attention and followers for aggressively promoting his "9-9-9" tax plan, as well as for his charismatic personality and appeal among tea party activists.

Gingrich also received the backing of former presidential candidate Rick Perry after the Texas governor dropped out of the race ahead of the South Carolina primary earlier this month.

Also see:

Romney: Gingrich debates complaints like 'Goldilocks'

Palin decries GOP 'cannibalism,' defends Gingrich

Romney surrogates shadow Gingrich campaign

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • Newt Gingrich
  1. jeremy

didn't this joker endorse colbert just last week?

January 28, 2012 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  2. Shirlene

Hmmmm, so one womeanizer endorses another one. Birds of a feather....

January 28, 2012 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  3. T-Bone

One cheat to another. Not surprised at all

January 28, 2012 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  4. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I guess that the 9-9-9 plan fits with the man who has/had 3 wives. 3 is a multiple of 9. Both have had issues with women, so that I don't guess this is a stretch.

January 28, 2012 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  5. TexasTruth

Adulterers hang together.

January 28, 2012 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  6. Donaldbain

Nothing wrong with big ideas, but there is a problem with big, stupid ideas. The kiss of death for Gingrich, the support of another serial adulterer and bird brain Sarah. Clearly he is flailing as he sees his only opportunity to run for the presidency run out like the tide. Well, there's always influence peddling to fall back on.

January 28, 2012 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  7. MELCH

Go figure...Wonder if Gingrich really thinks the endorsement of another adulterer will actually help him....

January 28, 2012 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  8. mike

well here is a surprise...a lying cheater endorsing a lying cheater

January 28, 2012 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  9. W0ofy

Dogs tend to travel in packs, Newt better keep Cain away from the Stepwife.

January 28, 2012 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  10. Emery

Hmm...a loser endorsing a loser...why isn't this surprising in the least? It really doesn't matter who wins the nomination, they'll lose to Obama in November, it's painfully obvious.

January 28, 2012 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  11. Aaron

Does anyone care what Cain thinks anymore? If I'm Gingrich, I'm not sure I want Cain's endorsement...

January 28, 2012 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  12. Republicans Are The American Taliban

What a bunch of crap.

January 28, 2012 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  13. Repubicrat.....in a metamorphosis of political ideals

Womanizers unite.......Cain is more of an idiot than I had first believe, Both Newt and Cain can take their treatment of woman and go back to Georgia.

January 28, 2012 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  14. David

Who cares what Gropey McGroper thinks. Cain is a know-nothing, know-it-all too dumb even for Faux news.

January 28, 2012 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  15. Jonas Louis

One adulterer endorses another. What else is new?

January 28, 2012 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  16. vet in tx

I am as suprised about this as I was when clay aiken came out the closet

January 28, 2012 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  17. Mikey

Oh good. 2 peas in a pod. They both can take thier mistresses to the white house with them. LOL

January 28, 2012 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  18. Anonymous

That should give Newt the tea party vote. I hope so anyway. I just want to see Romney squirm. He doesn`t like being able to have whatever he wants. Either way OBAMA will win.

January 29, 2012 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  19. Larry L

One horn-dog endorsing another. Isn't that just "special"!

January 29, 2012 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  20. Ricksanchez

Adelson's $10million is gonna run out quick buying all these "supporters".

January 29, 2012 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  21. mystereo

The real headline "Herman Cain Sinks Gingrich with Endorsement"

January 29, 2012 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  22. Dennis1020

As if Gingrich isn't having enough problems with his slip in the polls, it sounds like Sarah Palin is leaning toward Gingrich, and now Herman Cain endorses him. With friends like these, who needs enemies?

January 29, 2012 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  23. birds of a feather

herman cain feels most comfortable hanging with someone of his own ilk. A man unfaithful to his wive automatically disqualifies him based on lack of personal integrity alone.

January 29, 2012 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  24. cali girl

I wonder just how many media outlets this perv will be on in the next few days. I would be ok with the moon colony idea if the first two passengers to make the trip are pain in the you know what Palin and Uncle Herman the perv.

January 29, 2012 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  25. DENNA

So? They didn't want you and they don't want him either, although he gained forgiveness much faster for his supposed dalliances than you did. Anyway, your endorsement doesn't mean much. Heck, I endorse him. LOL :-)

January 29, 2012 12:15 am at 12:15 am |