January 28th, 2012

Herman Cain endorses Gingrich

(CNN) - Former Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain endorsed Newt Gingrich Saturday at an event in West Palm Beach, Florida.

"I hereby officially and enthusiastically endorse Newt Gingrich for president of the United States," Cain said during a meeting of the Palm Beach County Republican Party.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Cain cited the former House speaker's "bold ideas" as the basis for his choice, saying Gingrich wasn't afraid to propose big ideas that would benefit the nation, even if they invited the ridicule of his rivals.

"There are many reasons, but one of the biggest reasons is that I know that Speaker Gingrich is a patriot," Cain said. "Speaker Gingrich is not afraid of bold ideas and I also know that Speaker Gingrich is running for president and going through this sausage grinder. I know what this sausage grinder is all about. I know that he is going through this sausage grinder because he cares about the future of the United States of America."

Appearing on CNN "Newsroom" after making his endorsement, Cain said Gingrich's platforms closely matched his own, including the 9-9-9 tax plan.

"When you find a candidate that basically is running still on the ideas and the ideologies that I was running on, along with him embracing 9-9-9, then it was a no-brainer and I thought that the timing was right," Cain said.

Gingrich said at the West Palm Beach event Saturday Cain's 9-9-9 plan would become part of the national conversation, but the candidate has not offically adopted the tax proposal as part of his platform.

While Cain enjoyed a spike in polls last fall, the impact of his endorsement is unclear. When he dropped out of the race in December, polls showed him toward the back of the pack of candidates. Asked on CNN Saturday how his endorsement would effect the race, Cain said he was more focused on guiding his remaining supporters.

"I don't care about where he stands in the polls," Cain said of Gingrich. "And whether my endorsement helps him or not, that's not the point. It's to let my supporters know that he is the closest to what I represented when I was still a candidate."

In a statement, Gingrich applauded Cain as a fellow "big ideas" candidate,

“America’s challenges are too great for mere tinkering around the edges," Gingrich said. "Just like Herman, who ran his campaign based on big ideas, I am running on bold solutions that will boost job creation, cut bureaucratic red tape, and fundamentally transform Washington."

Cain also accepted Gingrich's invitation to co-chair the former speaker's Tax Reform and Economic Growth Advisory Council, according to the release.

Cain ended his bid for the 2012 GOP nomination in early December after battling allegations of past sexual harassment. Cain attracted attention and followers for aggressively promoting his "9-9-9" tax plan, as well as for his charismatic personality and appeal among tea party activists.

Gingrich also received the backing of former presidential candidate Rick Perry after the Texas governor dropped out of the race ahead of the South Carolina primary earlier this month.

Also see:

Romney: Gingrich debates complaints like 'Goldilocks'

Palin decries GOP 'cannibalism,' defends Gingrich

Romney surrogates shadow Gingrich campaign

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • Newt Gingrich
  1. John in Cal

Well this will certainly help gingrich.lol

January 29, 2012 02:51 am at 2:51 am |
  2. colbert nation

booya! stephen colbert just endorsed newt!

January 29, 2012 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  3. DavidE7

Good for Herman Cain. He has supported the American people against the financial and political elites who have been ruining our nation.

January 29, 2012 03:14 am at 3:14 am |
  4. n2video

One loser endorsing another. YAWN!

January 29, 2012 03:15 am at 3:15 am |
  5. JT

Way to be there for him when he really needs it (right before he's going to knocked out of contention in Florida). Where was this in Iowa?

January 29, 2012 03:33 am at 3:33 am |
  6. wanderer

Herman Cain endorses Gingrich. Of course, because both had one thing in common because of which Cain had to suspend his campaign.

January 29, 2012 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  7. Prometheus

Now, isn't that special? The Herminator wants to expand his little black book and figures that Newt's campaign staff–that sounds wrong–is primed for tapping. If Newt can score two wives from there, then Cain thinks the possibilites are endless. The buddy weekends and cruising these two could have as president and vice-president. And, Cain could add new meaning to the "vice" part. Screw the state dinners and bring on the toga parties. Just think of the road trips these two could stage.

These are two of the most chauvinistic, woman-hating, misanthropic miscreants to ever grace the political scene. They probably have a bet as to which one hits Palin and Marcus Bachmann first.

January 29, 2012 03:42 am at 3:42 am |
  8. todd

Game , set , match, series,,, thank god ,,,Welcome to the America that we once knew!!!!

January 29, 2012 04:04 am at 4:04 am |
  9. former democrat

One cheater endorses the other cheater! Does it have any effect?

January 29, 2012 04:29 am at 4:29 am |
  10. Leif

Newt should have begged Cain to NOT endorse him. He is clueless.

January 29, 2012 04:37 am at 4:37 am |
  11. really?

So a doofus endorses a slime-ball... and I care why?

January 29, 2012 05:01 am at 5:01 am |
  12. buckup

a quotable fascist moment in history.

Pizza and nice hotel rooms for the pretty ladies.

Show me your electric bill, I can fix it.

January 29, 2012 05:18 am at 5:18 am |
  13. Bystaner

Wow, big deal! Does anybody still listen to Herman Cain, Rick Perry, or Sarah Palin?

January 29, 2012 05:19 am at 5:19 am |
  14. Bernard Webb

One clown endorses another clown. This is news?

January 29, 2012 05:27 am at 5:27 am |
  15. MeAtHome

Makes sense .... one womanizer endorsing another!

January 29, 2012 05:41 am at 5:41 am |
  16. Sherri

I will never vote for Gingrinch. I'd sooner vote for Obama... and that's probably not going to happen.

January 29, 2012 06:05 am at 6:05 am |
  17. bear

The Cain endorsement is so Cain can have the Pizza franchise on the moon.

January 29, 2012 06:08 am at 6:08 am |
  18. Gary

Big surprise that one adulterer would support another.

January 29, 2012 06:10 am at 6:10 am |
  19. Kris

Cain: "Speaking of sausages....we all know Newt has one."
    Newt: "I wish someone had ground my sausage up long ago..."

January 29, 2012 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  20. JStanley

Endorsements from Sarah Palin, Todd Palin, Herman Cain and Rick Perry....Those are some great credentials to have..haha

January 29, 2012 06:44 am at 6:44 am |
  21. jack

Funny isn't it – two serial adulterers. Takes one to know one.

January 29, 2012 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  22. Ain't life strange?

And after his endorsement of the Newt, Cain's name was added to the list of people the Newt promised they'd be his VP if they endorsed him. By the way.... 9-9-9 is nothing more than an inverted 6-6-6... I got the message.

January 29, 2012 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  23. nancyke

birds of a feather...

January 29, 2012 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  24. Q

So this is how demoracy ends. I always wondered...

January 29, 2012 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  25. Hermans stain

Hello, is anybody out there ?
    Its me, Herman, i am still important,
    I just did something important, pay attention to me,
    hello........................................