January 28th, 2012

Herman Cain endorses Gingrich

(CNN) - Former Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain endorsed Newt Gingrich Saturday at an event in West Palm Beach, Florida.

"I hereby officially and enthusiastically endorse Newt Gingrich for president of the United States," Cain said during a meeting of the Palm Beach County Republican Party.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Cain cited the former House speaker's "bold ideas" as the basis for his choice, saying Gingrich wasn't afraid to propose big ideas that would benefit the nation, even if they invited the ridicule of his rivals.

"There are many reasons, but one of the biggest reasons is that I know that Speaker Gingrich is a patriot," Cain said. "Speaker Gingrich is not afraid of bold ideas and I also know that Speaker Gingrich is running for president and going through this sausage grinder. I know what this sausage grinder is all about. I know that he is going through this sausage grinder because he cares about the future of the United States of America."

Appearing on CNN "Newsroom" after making his endorsement, Cain said Gingrich's platforms closely matched his own, including the 9-9-9 tax plan.

"When you find a candidate that basically is running still on the ideas and the ideologies that I was running on, along with him embracing 9-9-9, then it was a no-brainer and I thought that the timing was right," Cain said.

Gingrich said at the West Palm Beach event Saturday Cain's 9-9-9 plan would become part of the national conversation, but the candidate has not offically adopted the tax proposal as part of his platform.

While Cain enjoyed a spike in polls last fall, the impact of his endorsement is unclear. When he dropped out of the race in December, polls showed him toward the back of the pack of candidates. Asked on CNN Saturday how his endorsement would effect the race, Cain said he was more focused on guiding his remaining supporters.

"I don't care about where he stands in the polls," Cain said of Gingrich. "And whether my endorsement helps him or not, that's not the point. It's to let my supporters know that he is the closest to what I represented when I was still a candidate."

In a statement, Gingrich applauded Cain as a fellow "big ideas" candidate,

“America’s challenges are too great for mere tinkering around the edges," Gingrich said. "Just like Herman, who ran his campaign based on big ideas, I am running on bold solutions that will boost job creation, cut bureaucratic red tape, and fundamentally transform Washington."

Cain also accepted Gingrich's invitation to co-chair the former speaker's Tax Reform and Economic Growth Advisory Council, according to the release.

Cain ended his bid for the 2012 GOP nomination in early December after battling allegations of past sexual harassment. Cain attracted attention and followers for aggressively promoting his "9-9-9" tax plan, as well as for his charismatic personality and appeal among tea party activists.

Gingrich also received the backing of former presidential candidate Rick Perry after the Texas governor dropped out of the race ahead of the South Carolina primary earlier this month.

Also see:

Romney: Gingrich debates complaints like 'Goldilocks'

Palin decries GOP 'cannibalism,' defends Gingrich

Romney surrogates shadow Gingrich campaign

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • Newt Gingrich
  1. Ray

Cain said last week ,he wouldn't endorse any candidate,I guess Newton offered him a room in the whitehouse

January 29, 2012 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. WhoCares

The GOP is purposely trying to lose to The POTUS – they know if they win, they inherit the same mess and within a few months the American people (all sides) would turn on them too. The GOP is more interested in securing Congressional seats in Nov. Just wait and see how that support surfaces.

January 29, 2012 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  3. Bob

How fitting. One philanderer endorsing another philanderer!!

January 29, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  4. My name is Jose Jimenez

Well usually birds of a feather stick together. One adulterer endorsing another is par for the course.

Of course, one does have to question how it is that gingRICH was able to stay in the race and Cain was drummed out for like behavior. True, life is not fair.

January 29, 2012 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  5. FreeFlight107

I can hardly wait for the RNC Convention!

Newt & Herm as the Ticket! WOW!!

January 29, 2012 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  6. sunnysmom

One philanderer endorses another...big surprise

January 29, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  7. Dee

Hey Cain, Gingrich probably thinks you'd make a good janitor, or wait with your credentials he may elevate you to cook.

January 29, 2012 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  8. Arnez

Making the wealthy pay as much as the rest of everyone in taxes is not "taking money from the rich". smh it amazes me how the only people that are complaining are the ones that don't even belong to the Top 1%. lol. If i were a Fox news anchor or CNN news anchor bringing in six figures a year puts me in the upper middle class realm which means i should not agree with my boss being taxed lower than me because I'm employed with their newscast. Therefore the Top % should not fuss about this and realize without the people who work for them they wouldn't be where they are now financially. Thats not punishment nor class warfare to ask to pay their fair share.

January 29, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  9. Justin

Beyond embarrassed as an American. If you're not, I'm sorry.

January 29, 2012 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  10. migeli

Gingrich is going through a sausage grinder because he's dead meat!

January 29, 2012 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  11. jack

Let me explain my comment i simply ment that i dont think either one of the republican candidate would make a good president

January 29, 2012 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  12. Captain Backfire

One lying, cheating, low life endorsing another. What a surprise.

January 29, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  13. Anonymous

"All Gangrene-Itch needs now is an endorsement from George W. Bush."

Sorry, GWB is totally a Rmoney guy since they're like two peas in a pod. Both are New England elitists and both are spoiled rich kids, riding daddy's coattails and hanging around with the bloodthirsty and corrupt neocons. Rmoney is basically GWB Version 2.0.

January 29, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  14. Darryl

Cain: Us adulterers gotta stick t'gether!
    Gingrich: YES suh!

January 29, 2012 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  15. W

Takes one to know one.....

January 29, 2012 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  16. Luis

This is a true meeting of the minds. The things they could teach each other and then the men of this nation on just how to have affairs and still maintain your status in life. I can hardly wait for the self help seminars run by these two!

January 29, 2012 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  17. arale norimaki

did pikachu told herman cain to endorses Gingrich?

January 29, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  18. george of the jungle

well of course they can get togeather and discuss their indescretions. What a wonderful person to have indorsing you The party of family values strikes again. I'm laughing all the way to the voting booth.

January 29, 2012 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  19. Greg

Cain's online forum and seemingly many of his former supporters endorse Ron Paul. Cain may have waited too long to endorse a candidate, his supporters have already found a home.

January 29, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  20. Ken Andrews

Cain + Gingrich = Strange bedfellows.

January 29, 2012 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  21. DENNA

Does anyone even care what Herman Cain thinks anymore. He had his chance in the sun and fizzled out. Newt will too.

January 29, 2012 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  22. Hair bear

At least they have things in common! They both like blondes and they both have cheated on there wife! That said I still think Newt has a chance. We may not like it but Newt has a lot to say and a lot worth listening to!

January 29, 2012 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  23. MP in VA

He based his endorsement decision on who could eat the most pizza.

January 29, 2012 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  24. Whatelse can you expect

Oh Dear!! One Liar endorses another Liar. Cain: claimed he didn't know some of the women he had an affair with only to admit he was wrong. Gingrich: insists, vehemetly that ABC is lying only to admit later he was wrong.

They deserve each other. Once a liar always a liar. Romney is the luckiest man on the GOP ticket.

January 29, 2012 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  25. Athur

Hmmmm....and he thinks that will help? glad he dropped out.

January 29, 2012 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |