January 28th, 2012

Herman Cain endorses Gingrich

(CNN) - Former Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain endorsed Newt Gingrich Saturday at an event in West Palm Beach, Florida.

"I hereby officially and enthusiastically endorse Newt Gingrich for president of the United States," Cain said during a meeting of the Palm Beach County Republican Party.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Cain cited the former House speaker's "bold ideas" as the basis for his choice, saying Gingrich wasn't afraid to propose big ideas that would benefit the nation, even if they invited the ridicule of his rivals.

"There are many reasons, but one of the biggest reasons is that I know that Speaker Gingrich is a patriot," Cain said. "Speaker Gingrich is not afraid of bold ideas and I also know that Speaker Gingrich is running for president and going through this sausage grinder. I know what this sausage grinder is all about. I know that he is going through this sausage grinder because he cares about the future of the United States of America."

Appearing on CNN "Newsroom" after making his endorsement, Cain said Gingrich's platforms closely matched his own, including the 9-9-9 tax plan.

"When you find a candidate that basically is running still on the ideas and the ideologies that I was running on, along with him embracing 9-9-9, then it was a no-brainer and I thought that the timing was right," Cain said.

Gingrich said at the West Palm Beach event Saturday Cain's 9-9-9 plan would become part of the national conversation, but the candidate has not offically adopted the tax proposal as part of his platform.

While Cain enjoyed a spike in polls last fall, the impact of his endorsement is unclear. When he dropped out of the race in December, polls showed him toward the back of the pack of candidates. Asked on CNN Saturday how his endorsement would effect the race, Cain said he was more focused on guiding his remaining supporters.

"I don't care about where he stands in the polls," Cain said of Gingrich. "And whether my endorsement helps him or not, that's not the point. It's to let my supporters know that he is the closest to what I represented when I was still a candidate."

In a statement, Gingrich applauded Cain as a fellow "big ideas" candidate,

“America’s challenges are too great for mere tinkering around the edges," Gingrich said. "Just like Herman, who ran his campaign based on big ideas, I am running on bold solutions that will boost job creation, cut bureaucratic red tape, and fundamentally transform Washington."

Cain also accepted Gingrich's invitation to co-chair the former speaker's Tax Reform and Economic Growth Advisory Council, according to the release.

Cain ended his bid for the 2012 GOP nomination in early December after battling allegations of past sexual harassment. Cain attracted attention and followers for aggressively promoting his "9-9-9" tax plan, as well as for his charismatic personality and appeal among tea party activists.

Gingrich also received the backing of former presidential candidate Rick Perry after the Texas governor dropped out of the race ahead of the South Carolina primary earlier this month.

Also see:

Romney: Gingrich debates complaints like 'Goldilocks'

Palin decries GOP 'cannibalism,' defends Gingrich

Romney surrogates shadow Gingrich campaign

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • Newt Gingrich
  1. Mark

"9-9-9" reasons I WONT vote for Gingrich.. Or for that matter any of the BAFFOONS the GOP has as their
    facepaint. I like Mr. Paul, he needs to get his @ss out of the GOP and run as an independent and stop pandering to the
    tea bagger's if he is to have any chance with voters like me.

January 28, 2012 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  2. beezers

The "alleged" adulterer endorses the "confessed" adulterer? No kidding.

January 28, 2012 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  3. Ollit

That's funny one is accused of philandering and the other is a serial philanderer but both want to re-elect President Obama.

January 28, 2012 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  4. Flossy

Those adulterers gotta hang together!

January 28, 2012 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  5. Jack Choi

Thank you for endorsing me Herman, said one wife cheater to another.

January 28, 2012 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  6. Scott

Dang, and I liked Cain.

January 28, 2012 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  7. enzo

Talking about flip flopping. Just a few days ago, Cain was teaming up with Steve Corbett.

January 28, 2012 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  8. Dennis

Cain says his endorsement is "to let my supporters know that he is the closest to what I represented when I was still a candidate." Oh, you mean sleeping around with other women. Thanks for the confession, Herman.

January 28, 2012 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  9. Hilarious.

Cain must be bitter against Romney as Dominos has a larger market share than GodFather's....

Or maybe Cain just feels he can relate to Gingrich better... given the cheating and all....

January 28, 2012 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  10. Marc in Florida

Wow, what a break for Gingrich. The Valentino's of politics. Maybe Newt will choose him for V.P. We can look foward to legalizing brothels if they are elected. Make sense to me. This is a great year for politics. Everyday a new surprise.

January 28, 2012 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  11. Texas Annie

And just what cushy job in his possible administration did Newt promise Cain in return for that endorsement??

January 28, 2012 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  12. mochica

This is terrific! He now has the endorsements of not only Cain, but also Sarah Palin and Rick Perry. With the best and brightest behind you, you can't lose! Go big Newt!

January 28, 2012 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  13. mirrorlogic

Yes to small power from individual voters == no to establishment money machine and big money Willard Mitt!

January 28, 2012 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  14. ChiTownArkie

As a Democrat, I pray that Gingrich gets the nomination. However, getting an endorsement from Cain just means one loser can recognize another.

January 28, 2012 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  15. mirrorlogic

If Romney sweeps FLORIDA – the Tea Party will be an extinct body – big establishment politics from D.C. would have won. FLORIDIANS, if nothing else, keep scaring the you no what out of the ones that 'coronated' Romney 5 years earlier.

January 28, 2012 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  16. Ditty1991

hey, they have alot in common

January 28, 2012 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  17. Harryd

Can anybody tell me exactly what dis dude(cain) be talking about? Everthing that comes out of his mouth is just dumb. Eg, refrencing pokemon to make his brain dead point..GOD help this nation.

January 28, 2012 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  18. migeli

Gingrich is going through a sausage grinder because he's dead meat.

January 28, 2012 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  19. Boo

Should have just sent him a big sausage pizza coupon.

January 28, 2012 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  20. BeverlyNC

A useless endorsement. It's just one adulterer endorsing another one. Gingrich is his own worst enemy with his erratic and manic behavior and extreme ideas. Ex. Republicans defunded NASA as unimportant and now Newt wants to make the moon our 51st state? Can I submit a list of who should be the first people to be sent there?

January 28, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  21. KMar

Wingmen? lol

January 28, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  22. EJS

I bet the're doing it so they can go pick up hot republican chics...

January 28, 2012 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  23. PTBarnumboy

Now this is not all that unexpected is it? Mr. Cain, a known skirt chaser, endorses The Newster who is a known, serial adulterer. Who woulda thunk it???

January 28, 2012 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  24. FormerTeaPartyPerson

Dear Moderator: My comments have always been in good taste, and I post only the truth. Why is it that I cannot read other posts in addition to not having my post not displayed? Another freedom has been take away from us. One man his wife can give Newt Gingrich 10 million dollars to help buy influnence in the Gingrich Administration, but a man of average means, such as myself, is not allowed to express his opinion.

January 28, 2012 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  25. DarkMarcsun

So, which one is the wingman when they hit the college clubs?

January 28, 2012 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |