January 28th, 2012

L.L. Bean heiress backs Paul

Freeport, Maine (CNN) - Linda Bean, an heiress to famed Maine outfitter L.L. Bean, came out in support of Ron Paul on Saturday as the candidate made a campaign swing through the state.

Bean, who is a part owner of her family's company and sits on its board, said she is a longtime supporter of the Texas congressman. She backed his 2008 presidential bid, but hasn't made a public endorsement in the current race until now.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I've been for Ron Paul for years," Bean said. "I watched his House races in Texas, and he's just true blue. He doesn't waver from the Constitution and I like that very much."

Bean made her endorsement at the lobster restaurant she owns in Freeport, situated across the road from L.L. Bean’s large flagship store. She singled out Paul's appeal across the political spectrum as a reason for her support.

"He's very electable, he crosses all ideological lines because of his strong message," Bean said. "He's for the gold standard. I think people want stability in this country. He's for helping America domestically, and staying out of aggressive wars. We're just spending ourselves down the drain in these countries year after year with occupation."

When asked why she wasn't supporting fellow New Englander Mitt Romney, Bean said, "I've always been for Ron Paul."

Bean ran for Congress herself in 1988 but lost the Republican primary. She ran again in 1992, winning the nomination but going on to lose the general election to Democrat Thomas Andrews.

Paul is campaigning in Maine while his rival GOP presidential candidates focus on Florida ahead of its presidential primary Tuesday. Maine holds presidential caucuses, which the state GOP recommends take place between February 4 and February 11. Some towns and municipalities, however, are holding their caucuses as early as this weekend.

Maine’s presidential preference vote, which will determine the allocation of the state’s 24 delegates, will be announced February 11.

Rather than hitting all of the early voting states, Paul’s campaign is focusing on states that hold presidential caucuses, including Maine, Nevada and Minnesota. This Tuesday, when Florida holds its primary, Paul will be in Colorado. That state holds caucuses February 7.

Also see:

Romney: Gingrich debates complaints like 'Goldilocks'

Palin decries GOP 'cannibalism,' defends Gingrich

Romney surrogates shadow Gingrich campaign

Filed under: 2012 • Maine • Ron Paul
  1. logicnLA

Why would anyone care? I happen to like Bill Clinton a lot, but if he backed Romney would I vote for the man? NO! I'ver read all I need to know about him on my own. As for this endorsement- so Paul has someone with money that likes him- so what?

January 28, 2012 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  2. Tyler

C'mon Maine!

January 28, 2012 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  3. sick of republican phonies

so the daughter of a guy who made a clothing company likes Ron Paul (or WHOEVER). Why does her opinion matter one infinitesimal bit?

January 28, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  4. RonPaulTheTrueConservative

Go Ron Paul!

January 28, 2012 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  5. Anonymous

Maybe she sees the Paul crowd as a potential market.

January 28, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  6. LenGrady75

It matters in Maine. Many generations have worked for that company.

January 28, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  7. DocNY

Come on now when Oprah came out an endorsed Obama it was huge news. At least Ms. Bean has run for public office. And as to the reason it matters is because of it he got publicity in terms of this ad.

January 28, 2012 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  8. jim

Stupid, racist move by a rich, crazy lady. Still gonna buy stuff from LL Bean – they got great stuff! Paul is still a senile, paranoid white supremist, and has absolutely zero chance at the nomination. Thank goodness.

January 28, 2012 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  9. ryan

bc LL Bean is the largest employer in the state.

January 28, 2012 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  10. GI Joe

They USED to be a good company, and they do still make a lot of their things in the USA, but a lot of it is bought from China and still has the pricey tag on it. They don't even say it's made in China. It just shows up with that small tag that says so, after they have your money.

I don't buy from them any more. Too bad.

January 28, 2012 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  11. Rob

AWWWW RON PAUL GETS ENDORSED so everyone has to whine and cry about it.
    Know why you can't get rid of him? BECAUSE HE'S GOT SUBSTANCE and is ELECTABLE.
    He stands STRONG and talks the FACTS while the others just make total fools out of their snobby selves.
    Argue all you want, Ron Paul stands for real change and anyone that argues with that is naive, ignorant, or dependent on the government. TRUTH.
    RON PAUL 2012 go cry some more babies

January 28, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  12. DENNA

Ron Paul has even less chance than Newt. I saw some of the debate and Rick and Ron were window dressing to the stars, Newt and Romney. Dr. Paul seems like nice enough old man, but he reminds me of a slightly nutty but harmelss uncle.

January 28, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  13. dave

im from maine and i dont need the owner of LL bean to tell me to vote for ron paul im going to vote for ron paul because 4 years of political science and common sense tells me to. our countrys dieing and everyones to ignorant to understand it because they only care about someone elses opinion like bill o riley instead of actually studying society and history to form there own opinion.

January 28, 2012 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  14. Richard

Two people below clearly dont understand the point of the news I geuss. This lady even though not known in the US is known in Maine, and the primarys there opened this weekend. Thus making an endorment from anyone known in that state news to be reported. I do not personally give alot of weight to endorsments but some people do.

Ron Paul 2012!

January 28, 2012 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  15. Ske

A couple more of her family members, and the establishment and media could be right about something – Ron Paul is FINALLY full of Beans

January 28, 2012 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  16. Chris

Ron Paul For Peace and an end to Lobbyist, mismanaged federal programs and the FED!

January 28, 2012 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  17. Vivian Darkbloom

Linda Bean's support of Ron Paul may not influence others' support of Paul, but it certainly influences my support of LL Bean- which is to say, I'll buy more!

Go Ron, go!

January 28, 2012 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  18. john

Vets 4 Dr Paul

January 28, 2012 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  19. Larry L

I'm waiting to see who Paris Hilton endorses. She is quite wealthy and therefore capable of judging the leadership potential of politicians...

January 28, 2012 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  20. Yes

Linda Bean knows her politic and is doing her part to support the right man for the job. Way to go Linda! Everyone counts when any American stand up for what they believe in.

January 28, 2012 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  21. Funnyman

The make nice shirts...........

January 28, 2012 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  22. MWM

If I was a rich heir or heiress I would support the candidate whose policies would allow me to abuse the workers who are responsible for my fortune.

January 28, 2012 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  23. Jobob

I will not be shopping at L.L. Bean, I don't want any of my money going to Ron Paul's campaign.

January 28, 2012 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  24. Little Jimmy Truth

Linda is wise to choose right person. Great job!!!

January 28, 2012 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  25. Crkonehd

Just another sane logical citizen, one who has noticed Ron Paul's consistent message over the years. The thing to note here is that Linda Bean, who is clearly a loyal Republican, has chosen NOT to call Dr Paul a wacko, a non-electable grouch, but rather to lend her support to his candidacy in the state of Maine.

No its not big news, but nonetheless, I am glad to hear of this support.

Ms Bean, like me, has decided that Dr Paul is the best way out of the mess our nation is in. His well reasoned arguments for smaller government and fiscal responsibility have captured the minds of many Republicans, Independents, and most likely even some Democrats as well.

Thanks Linda Bean for taking a stand on this issue – I hope it leads to more folks taking an interest and eventually supporting Dr Paul.

January 28, 2012 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |