January 28th, 2012

L.L. Bean heiress backs Paul

Freeport, Maine (CNN) - Linda Bean, an heiress to famed Maine outfitter L.L. Bean, came out in support of Ron Paul on Saturday as the candidate made a campaign swing through the state.

Bean, who is a part owner of her family's company and sits on its board, said she is a longtime supporter of the Texas congressman. She backed his 2008 presidential bid, but hasn't made a public endorsement in the current race until now.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I've been for Ron Paul for years," Bean said. "I watched his House races in Texas, and he's just true blue. He doesn't waver from the Constitution and I like that very much."

Bean made her endorsement at the lobster restaurant she owns in Freeport, situated across the road from L.L. Bean’s large flagship store. She singled out Paul's appeal across the political spectrum as a reason for her support.

"He's very electable, he crosses all ideological lines because of his strong message," Bean said. "He's for the gold standard. I think people want stability in this country. He's for helping America domestically, and staying out of aggressive wars. We're just spending ourselves down the drain in these countries year after year with occupation."

When asked why she wasn't supporting fellow New Englander Mitt Romney, Bean said, "I've always been for Ron Paul."

Bean ran for Congress herself in 1988 but lost the Republican primary. She ran again in 1992, winning the nomination but going on to lose the general election to Democrat Thomas Andrews.

Paul is campaigning in Maine while his rival GOP presidential candidates focus on Florida ahead of its presidential primary Tuesday. Maine holds presidential caucuses, which the state GOP recommends take place between February 4 and February 11. Some towns and municipalities, however, are holding their caucuses as early as this weekend.

Maine’s presidential preference vote, which will determine the allocation of the state’s 24 delegates, will be announced February 11.

Rather than hitting all of the early voting states, Paul’s campaign is focusing on states that hold presidential caucuses, including Maine, Nevada and Minnesota. This Tuesday, when Florida holds its primary, Paul will be in Colorado. That state holds caucuses February 7.

Also see:

Romney: Gingrich debates complaints like 'Goldilocks'

Palin decries GOP 'cannibalism,' defends Gingrich

Romney surrogates shadow Gingrich campaign

Filed under: 2012 • Maine • Ron Paul
  1. Bill

Among the people I know in Maine, the large majority of them are voting for Ron Paul.

January 28, 2012 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  2. Anonymous

@sick of. Because she holds political clout. She ran for Congress herself, twice.

January 28, 2012 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  3. max

her opinion matters as much as yours

January 28, 2012 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  4. jim dollinger

she happens to be very popular amongst Maine republicans.

January 28, 2012 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  5. Luckie

She is a citizen with a little weight on who she supports. So, "sick of repub phonies" she has a voice and a opinion and it matters to the ones who care. I care and I support Ron Paul. She voice let's me know as well informs folks in the USA there are more of us out there then the media wants us to know. RON PAUL2012!!!!!

January 28, 2012 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  6. wangfeihong

I will never buy anything from LLBean again.

January 28, 2012 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  7. bprofsky

as for Ron Paul’s foreign policy – Thomas Jefferson said the same things when he ran , yet he was the first president to send the marines into an Islamic nation to instigate regime change. Congressman Abe Lincoln almost destroyed the fledgling Republican party by being the lone voice calling for an investigation into whether the Alamo was actually on side of the border

January 28, 2012 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  8. themaddestmuse

Maine isn't particularly riddled with prominent citizens and their caucus is in a week. PS: RON PAUL 2012 or BUST.

January 28, 2012 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  9. Vet4RonPaul

First, I am loyal customer of LL Bean and a holder of their Visa card because of their support to Ron Paul and because they make a great product. Second, I love Maine – it really is a beautiful state and I've camped at Moose Head Lake when I first got married.

Finally, I'm for Ron Paul because he is pro-freedom, pro-peace and anti-bailouts. I served four years active duty and our troops deserve better than neocon chickenhawks like Gingrich, Romney and Santorum.

January 28, 2012 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  10. Individualist

It actually does matter because its about Maine. Its not about the entire country. State by State people. LL Bean is big in the Maine Community so all the employees and people who like LL Bean will listen now.
    Stop thinking nationally every time something happens.

January 28, 2012 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  11. Larry in Houston

It's too bad he's not gonna go that far – I'm a registered democrat that currently lives in a republican state – If his name is on the ticket in november, (which I doubt it will) I would actually Vote for ron paul. I really hate to vote for obama – I voted for him in '08' – - but I honestly could not vote for any of the 3 other candidates – I've never voted republican my whole life – Just could never bring myself to ever do it. I guess if you're a 'blue collar' worker, and all you've had was 'blue collar' Jobs all your life, no wonder most of us type of people could never bring ourselves to vote for a republican.
    Larry in Houston

January 28, 2012 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  12. Fla Pete

He's not going anywhere anyway,just like in 08,still doesn't have a clue.He's the last guy at a party to get the joke.He sits in the debate ,waiting for his cue to say something,but you know what,they forgot the cue cards,O well...Maybe in 2016,he'll only be 81 years young.

January 28, 2012 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  13. @logicnLA

Maybe the reason that you haven't read much about Dr. Paul is the reason you don't understand that this means something. ALL other presidential candidates (including Obama) are backed up by major banks, billionaires, and huge corporations. Ron Paul gets his donations from the people (gets more money from the men and women in the military than all other candidates combined), so when this lady backs him, that's good news for "Paulbots". Her opinion doesn't matter more than anyone else's, but she does help the cause a bit more than the average Joe can.

January 28, 2012 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  14. madness

Who does Paris H back? Not that it matters but at least she's decent looking.

January 28, 2012 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  15. rightospeak

A supporter of Ron Paul in 2008 ? -what a smart woman. I always liked L.L. Bean products. It really makes me feel good that people realize that Ron Paul is the best candidate for the White House in this critical period in our history. I have studied Ron Paul for some time and he is a true American patriot, has common sense and does not bow to special interest groups-he is one of the few that are good for our country. Thank you , Lady Bean.

January 28, 2012 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  16. orples

I would so love to see Ron Paul come in through the back door and win the Nomination. The GOP would have a hissy fit.

January 28, 2012 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  17. Leo

Why do any of your opinions matter? ^^^

January 28, 2012 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  18. RonPaul4President

sick of republican phonies

so the daughter of a guy who made a clothing company likes Ron Paul (or WHOEVER). Why does her opinion matter one infinitesimal bit?
    ----------------------------------------------–
    I believe the same thing could be said about your opinion. Though to separate you from Linda Bean not only does she own a wealthy company but also won the Republican nomination for a congress seat before falling to Democrat Thomas Andrews. So there you go two things you'll never do and two reasons why she is used in a news story. Please go hide back under a rock or the Obama wealth and unemployment checks your hide under.

January 28, 2012 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  19. Donalds Scrump

This is big, because it shows that LL Bean is a great American company and their management and owners understand and desire what is good for real productive businesses and America.

January 28, 2012 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  20. A new LL Bean customer

RON PAUL for president 2012!!!

January 28, 2012 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  21. rick masculine

at least she knows how to pick a winner,the rest are bought and payed for new world order shill's

January 28, 2012 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  22. Laura

I would also like to endorce Ron Paul.
    -Laura

January 28, 2012 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  23. Gfoos

Wow. Apparently being rich does nothing for ones looks OR common sense. Old rich white people scratching the backs of old rich white people...this is news?!!

January 28, 2012 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  24. Alex

Go Maine! Ron Paul is the best choice we have. He's the only one offering real spending cuts, lower taxes and freedom for this country! We need a President who will vetoe bills like SOPA which congress are trying so desperatly to pass.

January 28, 2012 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  25. Lucy Burns

Thank goodness for people like Linda Bean that can think for herself and knows that Ron Paul has stood strong and has not swayed on issues. He has fought for liberty for years. You can vote for the status quo, but we will be able to tell our children we tried our best.

****************************"Let it not be said that we did nothing." Ron Paul*************************************************

January 28, 2012 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |