Washington (CNN) – Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich spent the final day before voting in Florida campaigning in the state. Rick Santorum and Ron Paul did not.
Why skip Florida? Check the delegate rules.
Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker
Florida has 50 delegates at stake. Unlike Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina, the Florida state GOP uses winner-take-all rules to allocate its delegates. Only the first place winner in the primary will receive these delegates.
Florida polls show Romney leading Gingrich in the Sunshine State. Meanwhile, Paul and Santorum are campaigning in upcoming caucus states like Nevada and Colorado, where second and third-place candidates can still rake in some delegates. Florida is an expensive state to shop for votes; spending time and resources in caucus states, where a small group of organized voters can make a big difference, gives under-funded candidates a chance to jump ahead of their opponents.
Romney has earned 34 delegates since the primaries began, according to CNN estimates. Gingrich has garnered 27, Paul has earned ten, and Santorum has bagged eight. CNN's delegate estimates are based on state contest results and a CNN survey of unpledged Republican National Committee delegates who can vote for any candidate they choose, regardless of their state's contest results.
South Carolina gave Gingrich a much-needed boost in delegates. In an almost-clean sweep, he earned 23 of the 25 delegates at stake. Romney earned the remaining two.
Florida represents about four percent of the votes needed to win the nomination – the most of any single state so far. Its winner-take-all status will give the victor a temporary lead over the other candidates.
It currently takes 1,144 delegate votes to win the GOP presidential nomination at the Republican National Convention this August in Tampa, Florida.
Gingrich supporter trails Romney
Romney would consider pulling NBC ad
Romney holds 14-point lead over Gingrich in new Florida poll
You people do realize that most of the public does not believe a word that you print.... Don't You ??? "Most" all of us know who has REALLY been bringing in the numbers.... MSM has lowered it's self to nothing but (Paid For Entertainment ) ;(
Why should I spend my time campaining if I am not going to win? Mr. Rick S. I have a good advice for you. Make a deal with Gingrich for the 2nd spot and leave the race. Atleast you have some conservative that can lead the race with no obstacle.You are the x factore who can block Gingrich on his way to the nomination.
Ratso Rizzo: Here I am, goin' to Florida, my leg hurts, my butt hurts, my chest hurts, my face hurts, and like that ain't enough, ... The GOP is having there Republican National Convention this August in Tampa.
The "all-or-none" policy is a good method to ignore the needs of many citizens. If 51% of the people support a candidate the other 49% have no voice in the ultimate selection of a candidate. This may preserve the weight of a state's electorate but fail to give everybody a real voice at the national-level.
CHICAGO (WLS) – Over the course of his presidency, Barack Obama has become one of the most polarizing presidents in U.S. history.
In a 2011 Gallup poll, Obama’s approval rating among Democrats was 80 percent, while among Republicans was 12 percent, according to a report by The Washington Post. The 68-point gap between political parties surpasses George W. Bush’s 59-point difference in 2007.
This information suggests a widening rift between Democrats and Republicans that could make the country more difficult to govern in future years.
The GOP is in disarray with all the bickering and noone talking about the issues.
It is very easy to settle all of this just ask who do you trust to have their hands on the Nuclear button? It certainly wouldn't be Gingrich or Romney both are hot headed and unstable.
OBAMA 2012 with Foreign Policy success.
tomorrow is a big day for romney.
President Obama did a wonderful rendition of Al Green's song last week. Now every bozo out there thinks he can do the same by singing.
I forget how the saying goes but President Obama should be flattered that he is now being copied by the flip flopper (his long lost twin).
If you are hoping to stop the “Fundamental Change” by Barack Obama, that began as early as the Wilson administration, then we need someone who truly believes in The Constitution and The Declaration. This puts Santorum head and heals above Romney and Gingrich.
Romeny has nothing but lies to cover up his lack of honesty and conservatism, Newt has the knowledge but no conservatism, Honesty+Conservatism=Santorum. Vote for Rick Santorum.