February 1st, 2012

For Romney, all that glitters is not confetti

Eagan, Minnesota (CNN) – Mitt Romney sparkled as he took the stage in Eagan, Minnesota, the day after a blowout victory in Florida's primary.

But the glint in Romney's hair and on his blazer wasn't a post-victory glow. Instead, the GOP candidate was dusted in glitter thrown by a young male protester before Romney took the stage.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Eagan police escorted the young man out of the building after the incident.

RELATED: Flour thrown at French presidential contender Hollande

Calling the glitter "confetti" to celebrate his Florida victory, Romney brushed off the glitter-bombing – literally and rhetorically.

"Ah, I've got glitter in my hair," he said, and joked about his famously coiffed hair. "That's not all that's in my hair, I tell you that. I glue it on everyday whether I need to or not."

But as the candidate was shaking hands with supporters after his speech, a second person again attempted to blanket Romney with glitter, which he brought to the event in a Pringles can. Escorts quickly moved the glitter-bomber away from Romney.

An individual from the glitter-growing group, Nick Espinosa, said he was affiliated with two operations: Glitterati and Occupy Minneapolis. The intent in throwing the glitter was to underscore Romney's donations to the Mormon church, which Espinosa said was campaigning against gay marriage.

"Minnesota is a state that prides itself on tolerance," Espinosa said.

Romney was not the first GOP candidate to face such an attack. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich was glitter-bombed earlier in the campaign as were former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum and Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann.

During his Eagan rally, Romney was pushed by an audience of several hundred to sing "God Bless America." The candidate frequently quotes from the song on the stump, but received positive reviews for breaking into song at an earlier appearance in Florida.

"If you keep that up I'm going to have to get singing lessons because I'm not so good," he told the audience, which joined him in song.

On Tuesday, a federal law enforcement source said Romney would begin receiving Secret Service protection within days. It's unclear though whether additional security would have stopped such a protest.

Also see:

Romney: Convention or bust

Santorum looks past Florida

New anti-Obama ad slams Solyndra 'fiasco'

Romney to receive Secret Service protection

Filed under: 2012 • Minnesota • Mitt Romney
  1. Sniffit

""That's not all that's in my hair, I tell you that."

Indeed. In light of where he has firmlyplanted his head, i.e., his backside, his hair is also full of feces...just like the rest of him.

February 1, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  2. Woman In California

Glitter? I'd like to throw the book at him for what I think are ILLEGAL activities in his finances.

As far as Willard trying to sing – he's just trying to upstage our president since Obama received a lot of praise for his magnificent singing voice. Watch every moron running in the GOP field (suddenly) develop an interest in singing. For people who claim they dislike our president so much-they sure want to imitate him as much as they can. I guess we have officially entered "silly season".

Obama 2012

February 1, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  3. Lynda/Minnesota

------------------------

Eagan, hun? Yeah, I can understand why he could only muster a crowd of 200. This is the group Pawlenty liked to coin his "Sams Club" friends, minus being an actual Sams Club shopper that is. Macey's would be my guess. Good luck in the General, Mittens...

Obama/Biden

February 1, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  4. Katie

OBAMA 2012!
    Oh, You'll never win Minnesota.

February 1, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  5. Cody Fire

I wish I was part of the 1%

February 1, 2012 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  6. Willie Floyd

"All that glitters isn't gold" doesn't apply to Romney. With his fortune he should glitter. Give up the singing-not only can the pres. outshine you in leadership skills, he also sings a heck of a lot better than you do.!

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012–WARREN/NEAR FUTURE

February 1, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  7. roro

The glitter is all that gold he's got running through his veins coming out through his pores. Some call it flop sweat, but with Mitt it's actually flip-flop sweat.

February 1, 2012 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  8. diridi

Obama2012. period.

February 1, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  9. Data Driven

I'm a liberal and don't like Romney, but come on, people: stop with the physical assaults. Don't like Romney? Don't vote for him. Throwing stuff at people does nothing to advance liberal causes. Rather the reverse.

February 1, 2012 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  10. Captain Awesome

Wow, nothing but hate coming from the libs. I thought you guys were the party of tolerance?

February 1, 2012 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  11. WDinDallas

Cody: Get elected, all of our politicians are part of the 1%

February 1, 2012 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  12. Larry in Houston

I guess we know what we've got with obama – but with romney – or the newter – it could be a lot worse. So – that means – Vote for the working people in this country – people who has to keep Track of their TIME in their workplace , either by the minutes, hours, days, or weeks.

VOTE Democrat – 2012 – I really wish the DNC would come up with somebody. Certainly there's somebody !!

Larry in Houston

February 1, 2012 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  13. difoderit

Oh Boy I hope he is ok – I now see why Secret Service has been assigned to ol' Mitten's – our tax dollars at work

February 1, 2012 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  14. DoNotWorry

No comment by this candidate on why the corporate fraud lobby is stronger than the taxpayer/consumer lobby in Washington. He would delete any need for a corporate fraud lobby.

February 1, 2012 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  15. jbuman22

Huh...I wonder what the media would make of it if a Dem were glitter bombed by a conservative...domestic terrorism, probably...

February 1, 2012 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  16. Mike

Wait, so now we're giving Secret Service protection to presidential candidates? Who is paying?

February 1, 2012 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  17. Hannibalee

I'm not concerned about Romney and he's not concerned about the poor!

February 1, 2012 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  18. Bob

Love the comments. Can't wait to read them as Obamma is packing up next January.

Gotta love the tolerance, what will I get throwing things at the people in the gay pride parade? Arrested? Attacked with glitter or rainbow flags? The double standards here are revolting.

February 1, 2012 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  19. Proud member of "Global Zero"

As the mother of a gay son, sister, niece, and cousin I understand where the glitter came from and what it represents. The man does not believe in equality for many Americans. I enjoyed watching the tape of the incident....as much as all the others that have been "Shown the Light" by the Glitter Brigade.

From a loving Mom!

February 1, 2012 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  20. Lee Larson

It still comes down to the fact that NO ONE running for President, including the incumbent, has anything to offer. They all attack each other, yet they all offer the same program. What candidate is thinking of anything but his or her own career?

February 1, 2012 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  21. Bob

God my state just keeps embarrassing me more and more. Franken, Dayton, Vikings and glitter crazed gays. If I would not have to support all the Dems in this state I could sell and get my family out of here. Thanks for continuing to complain while suckling in the teat of all of us that work.

February 1, 2012 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  22. Senior Citizen

OBAMA 2012!!!

This guy is a joke. He's a "head hunter" who cost this country jobs and sent them to other countries.

February 1, 2012 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  23. Marie MD

There are laws in that state that you can pay yourself a dividend, like Bain does even if the company goes bankrupt, and yiu wink, wink, didn't know it was going down. In other way the board of director and bain has people on the board of these companies so they get personally sued and it happens a lot.
    To get around this they pay a fine and go on screwing with people's jobs, lives and futures.
    Nice going flip flopper! This is how you are going to help our economy?

February 1, 2012 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  24. MidWestern Boy

Interesting coverage.

How do you think this would have been covered if Mr. Obama, as a 2008 or 2012 candidate would have been covered Iif he was 'glitter bombed' ?

Is there a double standard on the news /opinion coverage?

February 1, 2012 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Got to love it. Being vilified for being successful. Like Obama isn't wealthy either.

February 1, 2012 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |