Trump to make 'major' announcement
February 1st, 2012

Trump to make 'major' announcement

(CNN) - Donald Trump, who once flirted with a White House bid, is now reasserting himself in the presidential race, saying he'll make a major announcement in Las Vegas Thursday just two days before Nevada's caucuses.

Could it be an endorsement? Trump's office, as well as Newt Gingrich's campaign, responded to questions swirling over the announcement Wednesday night–and neither team shot down speculation that the reality TV star may make his pick.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The television station KLAS in Las Vegas, a CNN affiliate, reported Wednesday Trump will back Gingrich.

Talking to reporters in Reno, the former House speaker said he was unaware of Trump's plans.

"I have no idea what the Donald is going to do," Gingrich said. "He is always interesting, and I don't know of anybody who does a better job of getting attention by announcing that he will presently announce something."

The candidate added that he had had little contact with Trump since the two held a high-profile December meeting in New York.

A Trump spokesman also responded to questions about an endorsement, simply telling CNN: "I would be there."

Trump will make the announcement Thursday at Trump International Hotel and Tower in Las Vegas. He's scheduled to arrive in the city late Wednesday night.

The announcement is slated to "pertain to the presidential race," according to a statement from his office.

- CNN's Shawna Shepherd and Kevin Bohn contributed to this report.

Also see:

Romney: Convention or bust

Santorum looks past Florida

New anti-Obama ad slams Solyndra 'fiasco'

Romney to receive Secret Service protection

Filed under: Donald Trump • Nevada • Newt Gingrich
  1. Indy

Americas biggest goofball is probably going to pick Mitt Romney for his next Celebrity Apprentice if the show is not cancelled due to Trump trashing the Trump name with all of his conspiracy theories. Maybe Bain can take over Trump's flailing company and leverage it, profit from it and then of course bankrupt it for profit.

February 1, 2012 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  2. GOP = Greed Over People

The obsessive fascination the media has for this Trump chump never ceases to amaze.

February 1, 2012 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  3. Just a thought

....and any one thinking this troglodite has anything to say, is truly the missing link. We already know the entire GOP/Conservative movement is a huge embarassment to this nation. But since there are a group of people that have failed to matriculate, from say, elementary school, The Donald will have an audience of nose breathing, knuckle draggers to cheer him on. Such a shame the failings of our educational system in this country.

February 1, 2012 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  4. Squigman

I'm all aquiver. Wonder what it could be? Do you think he'll give us all a break, and run for president? Gee! I hope so. The country is in dire need of comedy relief, and who better to supply the needed hilarity. If we make it through this election cycle, I promise to never listen to another politician as long as I live. If needed, I'll jump off my death bed to change chanels, or stations, just to keep from listening to this crap ever again.

February 1, 2012 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  5. dagoberto

He is going to endorse another clown. What else to expect?

February 1, 2012 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  6. NOvember 2012

perhaps more information on the obama birth certificate...he has been investigating this. haaha

February 1, 2012 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  7. Hahahahahahahahaha

Here it is.........."I'm the Biggest Loser!!!!" Hahahahahahahahaha

February 1, 2012 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  8. HenryB

My, oh my, another clown in the car.

February 1, 2012 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  9. Bill in Florida

Maybe he's running for President (again). Or maybe he'll fund Gingrich's moon colony. Or maybe, oh ... who cares?

February 1, 2012 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  10. ken

Trumps endorsement is worth 1 vote. His and I'm not so sure about his.

February 1, 2012 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  11. TM

Before Trump says another word he had better produce HIS long form birth certificate. This clown's 15 minutes were up a LONG time ago.

February 1, 2012 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  12. James

If Trump does decide's to run he has my vote–Couldn't be any worse than the choices we have now. Besides, I think Trump can beat Obama–

February 1, 2012 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  13. anagram_kid

Hey all, I have some connections in Trump's organization and have been sent his announcement!!! Here is what he will say:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I just want to point out first and foremost that my casino, Donald Trump's Taj Majal is much larger per square foot that the casino we are in now. Also the ice cubes are larger at my casino, and most importantly the carpet is much newer and does not have nearly as many stains.

That being said, I want to announce that two months from today I will make a huge earth shattering announcement about something I may or may not announce three months from that day that will change everyone's life from that day forward. You will all be blown away by what I think I might say.

Thanks all for coming out to see me! The Apprentice – now with 'K' list level celebrities.

February 1, 2012 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  14. Kate

I personally couldn't care less what the donald has up his sleeve.

February 1, 2012 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  15. ms

Oh please please tell me he isn't going to insult independents by running as one...

February 1, 2012 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  16. John

Just Another Donald Trump LIE. He said about a month ago he was no longer going to have anything to do with the Republican Party. This man LIE so much ,he will fit right In with Newt Gingrich.

February 1, 2012 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  17. Kay

WHATEVER Grump!

February 1, 2012 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  18. buck cameron

Will it be about his hair?

February 1, 2012 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  19. SC

What major announcement are you planning to make, Trump? I hope you are not telling us you will be selling woman brassieres and knickers under your name this time.

February 1, 2012 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  20. Luke Brown

Oh good. I've been in a tizzy about whom I should support. I hope The Donald will tell me.

February 1, 2012 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  21. Tisha

Big deal, who cares? This blowhard is just looking for some spot light. No news here

February 1, 2012 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  22. Incredulous

We can only hope that the major announcement is that Trump has finally realized that he brings nothing to the table but bluster and facade and that he will be retreating from public life in order to read the great books of civilization in hope of becoming a better person.

February 1, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  23. Carlos

will he reveal what he has below all that fake hair?

February 1, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  24. That guy

Donald Trump. So much money. So little class.

February 1, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  25. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

One with foot-in-mouth disease supporting another. Is this a big surprise? I don't think it is.

February 1, 2012 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |