February 3rd, 2012

Obama unveils $5 billion veterans jobs proposal

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama unveiled a new $5 billion veterans jobs plan Friday that the administration says will put thousands of men and women who once wore their country's uniform back to work.

The new Veterans Jobs Corps initiative, first mentioned in the president's State of the Union address last week, involves partnerships with the Veterans Administration and the Interior Department, as well as state and local law enforcement agencies.

FULL STORY

Filed under: President Obama • Veterans
  1. gt

help vets...like jobs building pipe lines...

February 3, 2012 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  2. vic , nashville ,tn

After 2005 first time we are seeing the real job growth

Obama we are with you

February 3, 2012 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  3. Marie MD

@gt. That's 2000 jobs for a couple of years. We need permanent jobs for our veterans.
    Stop it sit the rethug propaganda machine!

February 3, 2012 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  4. NVa Native

I'm sure the repubs will have some nasty response for this too....................

February 3, 2012 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  5. Rudy NYC

He needs to re-introduce another GI Bill, similar to what we was enacted after World War 2. Many of the skills learned in combat do not have widespread use in civilian society.

February 3, 2012 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  6. Expat American

Boehner.....we waiting on your empty attacks.....please send soon.

February 3, 2012 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  7. Silence DoGood

RNC campaign – rich people throw money at super PACS which throw scare ads at voters
    Obama campaign – throw tax money at voters, unless this is just another talking-only initiative

February 3, 2012 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  8. Larry in Houston

@Expat American – Don't worry – If he doesn't "tow the line" Ohio Will end up kicking him out. They won't put up with a loser if he doesn't produce, and get along with people.

February 3, 2012 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  9. Katie

OBAMA 2012!

February 3, 2012 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  10. GI Joe

I'm sure the republicans will want social security cut in order to pay for it.

With all the hype about IRAN, will they be willing to have a war tax? Or will they just want to take more from the poor and middle class?

February 3, 2012 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Oops. Looks like the GOP lying machine won't be able click "send" on this either. LOL!

February 3, 2012 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  12. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

So 1/2 BILLION in grant money to create temporary positions, that cities and towns will either have to pay for or get rid of when this money runs out. And then thousands of make work government jobs in the Interior Dept.???

And just how is this all going to be paid for? Evil Rich Person Tax? Evil Business Tax??

This is just more of the same WPA Democrat job creation smoke and mirrors. REAL jobs are created in the PRIVATE SECTOR. These jobs are OVERHEAD on the American economy. This is nothin gmore than yet another Obama political BS smoke and mirrors move.

February 3, 2012 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  13. Silence DoGood

@Truth and Nothing But the Truth
    Beyond the temporary positions, this will help to buy one new job for Obama for 4 years.
    Buying elections with money – something the DNC and RNC can finally agree on.

February 3, 2012 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

We do not count the long term unemployed in these figures because according to Mitt Romney and the Repbulicans, those people well "self deport" themselves. So, we no longer need to count them in the figures. There.

February 3, 2012 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  15. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

-----–
    Rudy, you'll never see me against ANYTHING to benefit our men and women in uniform. I just hope that no one will flip out that this will necessitate an increase in the defense budget. Right?

February 3, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  16. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Some one scratched my 'Obama 2012' sticker off my car. It reminds of the old holiday song, "Oh bigotry, oh bigotry, how ugly are the wingnuts."

February 3, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

As I recall, the Ryan Plan has been unanimously endorsed throught the conservative universe. The Ryan Plan contains packages and goodies for veterans. The Ryan Plan calls for reduced funding for veteran health care, which means closing VA hospitals. That's the Republican Party's way of showing their appreciation to our veterans.

February 3, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  18. Wire Palladin, S. F.

And the republicans will shout, "That's not the way Hoover did it!"

February 3, 2012 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  19. Wire Palladin, S. F.

You right wingnuts do realize that the billionaires are using you like "The Help," don't you?

February 3, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  20. NVa Native

Truthiness – how's the temperature in that bubble? Too bad the oxygen is about gone though.

February 3, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  21. VA VERY Ex Republican

To Truth and Nothing But The Truth:
    I have to tell you Man/Lady, I really do admire you. I used to be just like you defending the GOP any way I can. Thankfully I found the cure and I am now independent who will vote for Obama. Man/Lady, I have to say, you are either being paid by the GOP, or a complete brain dead person. at least I used to keep my mouth shut when I could not defend Bush, but you on the other hand keep going and going. As much as I admire your devotion as much as it tells me how tupid you are. I wish CNN post this and I pray to god that you read it. maybe, and maybe you will at least try to post an apology to all the people you offended by your comments. you offended people from every background just because you simply HATE POTUS.

February 3, 2012 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  22. Al-NY,NY

GOP disagreement/dismissal.....The GOP hates veterans

February 3, 2012 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  23. Rick McDaniel

When are people going to wake up to the fact, that all Obama does is squander money????

He HAS to be replaced........by someone.......anyone.

February 3, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  24. Wire Palladin, S. F.

The GOP has been squandering money for years on unfunded wars, tax cuts for those who do not need it, TARP, and all the perks of big oil. $2 trillion of Obama's debt is from the continuation of the Bush tax cuts.

February 3, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  25. once upon a horse

one thing is for certain from the posts that I have been reading....those who support the president STILL do and give him credit for the employment report. Those who don't support the president are trying to find every little thing they can to spin this either into a negative or find a way to give the GOP credit for it.

February 3, 2012 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |