Biden to fundraise on Florida trip
February 6th, 2012
10:21 AM ET
2 years ago

Biden to fundraise on Florida trip

(CNN) – Vice President Joe Biden is scheduled to return to Florida on Monday on an official visit to address college costs but will also continue the Obama reelection effort's push in the Sunshine State by holding two fundraisers in Tallahassee.

One of the fundraisers is at the home of Donald Hinkle, a Florida attorney who donated to the Obama campaign in 2008 and has poured cash into other Democratic campaigns and organizations around the country, according to campaign finance filings. A Democratic official told CNN of the fundraisers on the condition of anonymity.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Tickets start at $5,000 per person, the official said, and 20 attendees are expected.

The official said a second fundraiser at the Challenger Center is expected to bring in 200 people at $100 per person.

Florida is one of the most coveted of swing states: it is the state which narrowly decided the 2000 election for then-Gov. George Bush of Texas and helped his reelection in 2004, but went for then-Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois in 2008 by a margin of 236,000 votes.

Obama faces a tight battle to win the state in November, according to polls released before the GOP primary there in January. His job approval stood at 46%, and disapproval at 49% in the Tampa Bay Times/Miami Herald/Bay News 9 survey released Jan. 29. Polls of registered voters showed a neck-and-neck race between the president and GOP frontrunner Mitt Romney, but his lead widened when he was matched with others in the Republican field.

President Obama announced tourism policy changes at a high profile Disney World event in mid-January. The reelection campaign has also dispatched surrogates to aide the President's effort in this key state, including first lady Michelle Obama, who held DNC campaign events in Palm Beach and Sarasota last month.

The Republican National Committee responded to the Vice President's travel plans in a statement to CNN on Monday.

"The president and his team are traveling around the country raising money for their reelection because they know they are going to need it," RNC spokeswoman Kirsten Kukowski said. "After three years of failed economic policies and an unemployment rate near 10% in Florida, voters in the Sunshine State and other battleground states have had enough of the president’s rhetoric – they want results."

Biden will speak on college affordability at a visit to Florida State University on Monday morning. He addressed the topic in a December visit to Duncan U. Fletcher High School in Neptune Beach, Florida.

- CNN's Paul Steinhauser and Gregory Wallace contributed to this report.

Also see:

Nevada runners up, Paul and Santorum vow to continue campaigns

Obama: Israel undecided on attack against Iran

Gingrich outlines a Southern revival strategy

Ohio newspaper endorses Romney


Filed under: 2012 • Florida • Joe Biden • President Obama
soundoff (36 Responses)
  1. Rudy NYC

    Want proof that the extreme right wing is simply hateful of Pres, Obama as person, and not because of his policies or political affiliations? You always hear conservatives complaining about Pres. Obama campaigning on taxpayer money. Or, Pres. Obams is not doing his job as President because he is out campaigning for re-election, when the in fact the president is speaking to The People about issues currently before the Congress.

    How come they never make the same complaint about Vice-Pres. Biden, even when he openly campaigns?

    February 6, 2012 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  2. kate

    I have voted republican more times than not. But never again. GW messed up this country and now someone has to straighten this out. Why doesn't America wake up..we need the middle class. The rich only want the rich and the poor.
    I had my doubts at first about Pres. Obama but this Pres. has done more for the middle class and will do more if we only give him a chance. The republican congress is holding this country back.

    February 6, 2012 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  3. Four and The Door

    kate
    ...The republican congress is holding this country back.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    The only thing the Reoublican congress is holding back is our national debt from reaching $20 trillion before the end of Obama's Presidency in January 2013. The Republicans in the House of Representatives have done more for the future of America than any House in decades. They have stood up to the out-of-control Obama throwing billions of tax dollars at every problem ( and solving none ) and finally our economy is given a fighting chance of coming back. We have a long way to go, but the craziness has at least been slowed.

    February 6, 2012 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  4. diridi

    we love you joe, stay strong, and make all dems united. o.k, god bless you....

    February 6, 2012 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  5. Rudy NYC

    Four and The Door wrote:

    They have stood up to the out-of-control Obama throwing billions of tax dollars at every problem ( and solving none ) and finally our economy is given a fighting chance of coming back.
    --------------–
    Throwing away billions do you suggest? How about the $700 billion the Bush administration gave away to Wall Stree with no strings or accountability? How about the fact that the actual amount given to Wall Street that we know about was at least $7.7 trillion, with a "T"?

    February 6, 2012 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  6. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

    How come they never make the same complaint about Vice-Pres. Biden, even when he openly campaigns?
    =============================================================================
    Because nobody ever pays attention to Crazy Joe! And yes, I'm complaining that this is MORE taxpayer money being fraudulently spent on election purposes. Congress needs to pass a law prohibiting this massive and continuing fraud. At this rate, the taxpayers have funded just about ALL of Obama's fund raising.

    February 6, 2012 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  7. george of the jungle

    I love the repo response. The democrats are looking to raise money they will need it. Dahhh Of course they are raising money and the repos are not? We need to raise more because we don't have as many millionairs as the repos do. No big money coming from las vegas billionairs. Get real this is a campaign and us little guys are doing pretty good supporting our president. Hope Joe raise a bundle. Move forward not backward. Obama/Biden 2012

    February 6, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  8. Simba

    Elected officials should be barred from fundraising once elected. Their record while in public service is their capitol. If their time in office, what they have accomplished, doesn't warrant re-election, then so be it. They should be held accountable for what they did, not how much they raised.

    On the note of the presidency, this couldn't hold more true. There is no elected official that gains more media exposure than the President of the United States. We already know who they are and what they have done. They either accomplished what they promised to do in their campaign or they didn't. They hold 4 State of the Union addresses and multiple media conferences. If you can't make your case to the public from your record after having been elected, leave office.

    February 6, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  9. Rudy NYC

    Simba wrote:

    Elected officials should be barred from fundraising once elected. Their record while in public service is their capitol. If their time in office, what they have accomplished, doesn't warrant re-election, then so be it. They should be held accountable for what they did, not how much they raised.
    ---------------------
    Meanwhile, their political opponent for office can raise as much money as they wish and run as many ads as they wish.

    Actually, we used to have a political system that had almost decent campaign finance reforms. Publicly funded elections would allow a candidate to do exactly as suggested above. But, Republicans didn't like the rules because they found themselves unable to buy elections. So, they sued in court and now we have "Citizens United", which has made amockery of any campaign finance laws left on the books because it provides a path to legally bribe our politicians.

    February 6, 2012 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  10. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

    Rudy NYC - Publicly funded elections would allow a candidate to do exactly as suggested above.
    ======================================================================
    You mean the laws Obama said he would abide by in 2008 and then threw out the window??? The first of his many lies to the American people.

    February 6, 2012 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  11. Simba

    Rudy NYC wrote:

    Meanwhile, their political opponent for office can raise as much money as they wish and run as many ads as they wish.

    ____

    That's correct. If you are elected because you say that you can fix a problem or make something great, and do that, then you are a person of your word and did what you told others you'd do. You have ample time and media coverage to platform what you'll do next when you get back from Disneyland.

    If the president can't make good on his election promises and is out of touch with the direction and needs of the country, then that person simply doesn't deserve to stay in office. If an opponent comes along and calls out the failures and promises to do better, then maybe the current president should have done better.

    February 6, 2012 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  12. GI Joe

    How come no-one complained when W campaigned for re-election? oh - that was funded by the have's and have more's? NO - it, too was taxpayer funded. So were the hundreds of trips "home" (not just once a year at Christmas).

    February 6, 2012 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  13. GIATNS_21 - PATRIOTS_17

    @Four and the Door

    Yo're right! Four more years and President Obama will be opening the door for Hillary in 2016! Hahahaha!

    February 6, 2012 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

    Truth wrote:

    You mean the laws Obama said he would abide by in 2008 and then threw out the window??? The first of his many lies to the American people.
    ------------
    He did abide by the laws. Public financing was an option. Like I said, Republicans cannot compete when there are a set of rules in place. Their financial support mainly comes from a very vocal and wealthy minority, the 1%

    February 6, 2012 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  15. Four and The Door

    Rudy NYC
    Throwing away billions do you suggest? How about the $700 billion the Bush administration gave away to Wall Stree with no strings or accountability? How about the fact that the actual amount given to Wall Street that we know about was at least $7.7 trillion, with a "T"?
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________
    I do not agree with any government funded bailouts of any private company unless maybe a special case where the government is the overwhelming primary or sole customer of that business. GM and Chrysler bailouts were a mistake. Obama did not save these companies. Bankruptcy did. The free market did. All Obama did was to delay bankruptcy for them a few months.

    In any event, my comment was about the current Republican House of Representatives who seem to be the only political group in Washington responding to the existing national financial situation. They get it. Control spending. Not so complicated unless you listen to Obama who still does not get it.

    February 6, 2012 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  16. TheMagusNYC

    Thanks Joe, you're on the right team!

    February 6, 2012 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

    Simba wrote:

    That's correct. If you are elected because you say that you can fix a problem or make something great, and do that, then you are a person of your word and did what you told others you'd do.
    -------------
    Pres. Obama never said that he could "fix the economy". That's conservative media talking points. What he has repeatedly stated is that "we all need to work together to get the economy back on track." BTW, your idea of not allowing an iincumbent to campaign is totally absurd.

    February 6, 2012 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  18. Chumlee

    Go Joe!

    Obama-Biden 2012!

    February 6, 2012 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  19. MITT ROMNEY

    @Rudy NYC

    That's okay! Millions of Americans and the whole world has already seen what's been happening for three plus years in this country. But so does God! Obama/Biden2012!

    February 6, 2012 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  20. Rudy NYC

    Four wrote:

    GM and Chrysler bailouts were a mistake. Obama did not save these companies. Bankruptcy did. The free market did.
    ------------------–
    Do you even know why the federal government stepped in to make loans to the auto makers? Don't forget, Bush would have done so, but he punted. The auto makers saw precipitous drops in sales, and were running on capital for day to day operations. The large banks would not make any billion dollar loans to them, which are pretty much routine, not even after they were bailed out.

    The government stepped in and made them loans to sustain day to day operations, but with severe strings attached. Most significant of which was that most of their leadership had to go, especially at GM. GM would not have survived with the business model those guys had in mind. GM had went from a 40% market share with roughly 70 consumer models spread across their core American name brands, to a 20% market share spread across over over 200 models.

    February 6, 2012 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  21. Simba

    Rudy NYC wrote:

    Pres. Obama never said that he could "fix the economy". That's conservative media talking points. What he has repeatedly stated is that "we all need to work together to get the economy back on track." BTW, your idea of not allowing an iincumbent to campaign is totally absurd.

    ___

    I was speaking in general terms and never named an official, past or present. Your insinuation that I was referring to President Obama was unfounded. Every presidential (as well as local) election I have seen has had the candidates talking about problems of one kind or another and how they'd handle it. That was what I was referring to. In regards to not allowing incumbents to campaign, turn on C-SPAN and watch just how many of our elected officials bother to show up for votes. You can also look up several sites that detail the members of congress and their attendance records. While I cannot account for the whereabouts and activities of these people when their chair is empty, it's no secret that they spend election year focusing on getting re-elected. That waste of time is what I view as totally absurd.

    February 6, 2012 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  22. Four and The Door

    Rudy NYC
    Four wrote:
    GM and Chrysler bailouts were a mistake. Obama did not save these companies. Bankruptcy did. The free market did.
    ------–
    Do you even know why the federal government stepped in to make loans to the auto makers? ...The government stepped in and made them loans to sustain day to day operations, but with severe strings attached....
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Apparently they did not attach a string specifying a focus on developing domestic technology and production. GM is throwing primary focus on developing technology in China and increasing production 100% to 5 million cars a year in China. How much help do you think the American middle class will get from the Chinese government? Don't look for that much. They like to do manufacturing and technology development in China too.

    February 6, 2012 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  23. billie

    Having the GOP in the White House (again) will be tantamount to asking Colonel Sanders to babysit your chickens.

    By the way, the British Royal Family may not be greatly inmportant to the US, but does anyone remember the huge honour paid to the United States and the Obamas when the royal family invited them to stay in Buckingham Palace? Generally visiting heads of state (including Presidents of the USA) are parked in some hotel. The Obamas were housed in Buckingham Palace.

    Because Obama doesn't threaten other countries, but prefers to find a path of reason and understanding, because of his unfailing courtesy and class, flag-waving lunatics perceive him as weak. The weak seek revenge, the strong seek justice, and the world is unjust unless there is justice for all.

    February 6, 2012 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  24. Rudy NYC

    simba wrote:

    On the note of the presidency, this couldn't hold more true. There is no elected official that gains more media exposure than the President of the United States. We already know who they are and what they have done. They either accomplished what they promised to do in their campaign or they didn't..

    simba later wrote:

    I was speaking in general terms and never named an official, past or present. Your insinuation that I was referring to President Obama was unfounded.
    ---------
    I don't insinuate. I always cite the facts. NEXT!

    February 6, 2012 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  25. Fair is Fair

    "By the way, the British Royal Family may not be greatly inmportant to the US, but does anyone remember the huge honour paid to the United States and the Obamas when the royal family invited them to stay in Buckingham Palace? Generally visiting heads of state (including Presidents of the USA) are parked in some hotel. The Obamas were housed in Buckingham Palace."
    ----------–
    I doubt you'll ever see the Obamas being "honored" in the UK again. Quit honestly, they don't like them. Michelle Obama broke all protocol. Obama gave the queen a cheap MP3 player. He returned the bust of Winston Churchill. Didn't get invited to the royal wedding, did they?

    February 6, 2012 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
1 2