February 7th, 2012

Bachmann not caucusing in Minnesota

(CNN) – One of Minnesota's most prominent Republicans isn't participating in the North Star State's caucuses Tuesday.

Rep. Michele Bachmann, who dropped her own bid for the White House in January, said on CNN she was unable to get home because of votes in Congress. Speaking to CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Bachmann said she wished she could be in Minnesota caucusing.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I'm here doing my job in Washington, D.C.," Bachmann said. "We were voting tonight, Wolf, so I was here on the House floor and doing my job. But my family members and friends and all the great people back in Minnesota, they're out in mass. This is a fun night in Minnesota because our state, with our caucuses system, is very grassroots, very bottom-up. It's politics at it's best. That's what you'll find in Minnesota."

Asked to predict the winner of Minnesota's contest, Bachmann said any of the four remaining candidates stood a good chance of coming away victorious.

"I think that it's wide open tonight," Bachmann said. "Any of the candidates have a possibility of winning. For instance, Mitt Romney is endorsed by former Governor Tim Pawlenty and former Senator Norm Coleman. But then look at Newt Gingrich. A lot of his former staff that have organized for him in Minnesota. Rick Santorum, very strong evangelical base. He appeals to that base. If you look at Ron Paul, Ron Paul and I held a joint meeting at Northrop Auditorium, we had 3,000 people come out that night. There's a lot of support across the state of Minnesota for all four candidates. I think the results may actually be fairly close."

Bachmann represents Minnesota's 6th Congressional District, encompassing suburbs of the Twin Cities. She dropped her bid for president in January following a disappointing finish in the Iowa caucuses.

Also see:

Bundlers encouraged to raise for PACs Obama once denounced

Romney says Obama infringing upon religious rights

Biden's 2012 message: 'Osama bin Laden is dead and General Motors is alive'

Rocky Mountain High expectations

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann • Minnesota
  1. cali girl

Only because she can't vote for herself. Go home, close the door and focus on your family.

February 7, 2012 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  2. Voice of Reason

"...she was unable to get home because of votes in Congress..."

So my question is, do Rick Santorum and Ron Paul work for some OTHER congress? Shouldnt THEY be voting in Washington? If i were the people of PA or TX, I'd be wondering where my Rep went...

Either Paul and Santorum have given up on the American people because they are too busy trying to satisfy their vanity, or Bachmann just cant show her face in public in her home state. Either way, it doesnt say much for the people running for the GOP nom.

February 7, 2012 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  3. Nothing new here

As far as Bachmann is concerned, SHE is the only real candidate.
    I never expected her to endorse anyone else. She has too much ego and foolish pride.

February 7, 2012 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  4. bcnu_too

What a hypocrite. This is the first time – if it is true – that she is doing her job. She abandoned her job and the people of Minnesota for months to campaign and was a gigantic failure at that. I hope the people of Minnesota get wise to her and do not re-elect her. They need someone who will work for them – and that is not Bachmann.

February 7, 2012 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  5. Video Guy

She is just know caring about doing her Job?

February 7, 2012 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  6. Melo-D

Wonder what they are voting on. Maybe to make March national fanny pack month or something similar. You know it has nothing to do with creating jobs or helping the middle class, that's for sure.

February 7, 2012 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  7. Jake

but while she was pretending to run for President, she was NOT in Congress working...so...not a great excuse!

February 7, 2012 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  8. Thomas

I love that photo of MMB

She's so Godly , a true Diva , The compassion of Mother Teresa with the commitment of Heaven's Gate leader Marshall Herff Applewhite . Sheep would be so lucky to have such a Goddess and there shepherd.

February 7, 2012 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  9. enuff

It's about time she did her job. Heaven knows she missed enough when she was campaigning.

February 7, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  10. Rob G

I hate to be 'that guy', but I believe she meant to say 'en masse' for everyone being out to vote and not 'in mass'. It sounds like she is saying they're all at the Catholic Church service or Massachusetts and I'm pretty sure she's not a huge fan of that state! :-)

February 7, 2012 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  11. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

So much for being perfect. I don't think that anyone would really listen to her at a caucus anyhow.

February 7, 2012 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  12. Rob G

I may stand corrected, it could actually be that the real ding dong is whoever transcribed the conversation between Wolf and her. But I'm not buying it just yet...

February 7, 2012 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  13. Enuf Fluff!

Don't worry Michelle-you'll be able to join in the caucuses next year...I assure you, no one is sending you back to DC.

February 8, 2012 03:25 am at 3:25 am |
  14. Aaron

This is one of the rare times that she's been in DC doing what she's paid to do....the position of congresswoman that she supposedly won. She's done nothing but campaign for president with her lunatic ideas since the 2010 elections.

February 8, 2012 05:58 am at 5:58 am |
  15. Another Day in the Idiot Mines

Since when has Michele ever cared about votes in DC? IIRC, she has missed tons of DC votes while furthering her second career as a crazy bag lady.

February 8, 2012 07:55 am at 7:55 am |