Light voter turnout in Missouri
February 7th, 2012

Light voter turnout in Missouri

(CNN) - There are reports of light voter turnout in Missouri even though a clear vote total will not be available until later Tuesday night, a Missouri state official told CNN.

Heading into the non-binding primary, the Missouri secretary of state estimated approximately 960,000 voters would participate in the contest, based on projections from local election officials.

But a state official said the anecdotal reports indicate the turnout could be less than the earlier estimate.

The secretary of state's office told CNN the primary is costing taxpayers $7 million.

Filed under: 2012 • Missouri • Republicans
  1. The Greedy Old Pigs have declared class war on US!

As with most GOBP primaries so far, even their own voters are apathetic and indifferent toward this flaccid field of failed clown car candidates. The neocon deathcult is woefully out of touch with average Americans, who find the GOBP's failed policies repugnant as well as intellectually and morally bankrupt.

February 7, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  2. Siska1960

7million what is the estimated cost of this non binding primary could be spent to help Missouri veterans that lost jobs while serving the country

February 7, 2012 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  3. michaelam

If I had to choose from one of these clowns, I would stay home also.

But, kudos to the media for finally reporting that voter turnout in GOP primaries/caucuses (READ: APATHY) is at an all time low. Will Willard crack the 50% mark of perhaps only a handful of voters?!

February 7, 2012 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  4. SecedingfromTexas

So those "conservative", "quit spending" Republicans are willing to strap a $7M price tag on the backs of the
    Missouri taxpayers for nothing. Way to go spendthrifts.

February 7, 2012 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  5. Phil in KC

Why should they turn out when it's nothing but a beauty pageant? The real delegates will be chosen at the caucuses and the fair-weather voters won't turn out for those anyway.

February 7, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  6. Lisa Andersson

Let's help Ron Paul make a fool of these bafoons! =)

February 7, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  7. ed3083

I voted on the democratic ticket in MO today at 3:45pm and in my area I was only number 42 to put my ballot in. I live in Columbia MO so it's not like it's a tiny town either. I was shocked...I was the only person in there with the four workers.

February 7, 2012 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Good grief! $7million dollars to have an apathetic turnout of uninformed voters, voting for 4 people who will get no where near the White House. People like Massachussetts Conservative must be having an apoplectic fit. I think that he would insist that RMoney pick up the tab for this useless, albeit necessary democratic spectacle.

February 7, 2012 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. Arden Cogar

Why is Missouri spending 7 million dollars on this sideshow? Surely there is a better use for this money in today's economy.

February 7, 2012 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  10. The Greedy Old Pigs have declared class war on US!

The other thing our so-called "liberal" media censors is the fact that crowds for many campaign events have been quite small. Kind of like the GOBP's list of new ideas to replace their failed policies.

February 7, 2012 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  11. Jilli

What's new? Participation in the primaries has been down almost across the board. In romneys "overwhelming win" in Nevada he actually got even fewer votes – 25% fewer votes – than he got his last time around. Heck, Sharron Angle got more votes in the last election than he did.

At the rate Willards going, his approval rating is going to be lower than the republican congress.

February 7, 2012 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  12. IntlPol101

How quickly the Dems forget that voter turnout was very high for the NH primary, and higher by about 150,000 voters in SC. Turnout will always differ in every state. Check your own numbers though. Enthusiasm is down 20% for Independents for the Nov. elections, and about 15 points lower for Democrats than Republicans.

February 7, 2012 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  13. Larry in Houston

Why don't they put the 7 million toward the national debt ? I guess it's all about "momentum" and who wins, this way, I guess it will "sway" people who is not informed, or is "ill" informed, or just doesn't pay much attention to politics.

February 7, 2012 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  14. AnnaMaria44

Voter turnout was high in NH and SC (by about 150,000 voters).

February 7, 2012 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  15. Chasidy Carey

I have spoke with a lot of people about this primary in Joplin, Mo and I can say that only a handful out of 100 knew about it. Honestly, if I weren't online I wouldn't either. You could say with everyone recovering from the tornado in May and the massive loss of jobs due to the natural disaster and the bad economy these people may be side tracked. I don't know how this one will turn out but I can say that we have so many Ron Paul supporters here that it has made my job very easy! Now if we can just get the media (local and national) to get on board and talk about all of the candidates fairly and unbiased. People deserve to know who these people truly are and what they stand for.

February 7, 2012 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  16. GOP = Greed Over People

7 million in taxpayer's money to bring the GOP circus to the state?

And none of the actors in the "clown car" even showed up?

Glad I live in Georgia!

February 7, 2012 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  17. Dick Cheney is the smegma of mankind!

If GOP voter's apathy is this bad when the decision is a multiple choice among 4 candidates, looks like no one will show up in November, when they must vote for the one that has been forced upon them.

February 7, 2012 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  18. IntlPol101

As many on here have already forgotten, the turnout was high for the NH primaries, and higher by about 150,000 voters in SC. Each state is different. What you have to consider is voter enthusiasm, which is very low, in an election year, among Dems.

February 7, 2012 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  19. Hair bear

What a joke! Seven million down the drain! Let's hope they didn't pocket any of it! I'm sure the school district could have used the funds! Remember this my friends when we Vote in November! This is a waste of our tax dollars! Vote the Bums out!

February 7, 2012 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  20. Capt. Obvious

Light voter turnout, or did you mean light voter turnout for everyone else? Because Ron Paul supporters will show their presence enmass! They're tired of the theatrics of politics and are responding to the only sensible candidate.

February 7, 2012 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  21. aolsen

If some of you had gone out and actually voted (phil in kc) you would have realised that it was more than the republican primary. Don't throw the blame on them for spending $7 mil...it was everyone.

February 7, 2012 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  22. once upon a horse

I lived in Missouri for 24 years, was born there in fact and after you get outside of the metro areas of St. Louis, Kansas City, and Columbia it is VERY conservative and these are the folks that come out for the likes of Santorum especially in what is called the 'bootheel" of the state. Just remember Rush Limbaugh came from that area and that says enough about the attitudes right there.

February 7, 2012 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  23. NOvember 2012

many voters know any of the GOP runners will be better than what we have...so why bother to turn out now...later.

February 7, 2012 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  24. izy

obama 2012, theres really no better man for the job

February 7, 2012 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  25. maw065

I work in a bank in Columbia, MO and I never once saw a customer or co-worker with an 'I Voted' sticker nor did I hear any of the usual old folk comments about going to the poll after doing their banking. I didn't even realize that today was a voting day in my state until I read these articles.

February 7, 2012 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |