Poll: Obama leads GOP candidates in Virginia
February 8th, 2012

Poll: Obama leads GOP candidates in Virginia

(CNN) – President Barack Obama edged out Mitt Romney in a hypothetical general election match-up in Virginia, according to a new poll.

It is the first time the president led the former Massachusetts governor in the Super Tuesday state among registered voters in a Quinnipiac survey during this election cycle.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Obama captured 47% to Romney's 43%, a wider margin than the two percentage point difference in the December results. But Romney fared better than his GOP rivals in the likely swing state.

Obama led Newt Gingrich 51% to 37%, Rick Santorum 49% to 41% and Ron Paul 47% to 40%.

The Republican White House hopefuls will first face each other on March 6, when Romney is favored to capture the state's 36 Republican delegates. Gingrich and Santorum failed to qualify for the ballot and Romney bested Paul among likely GOP primary voters 68% to 19%.

Sen. John McCain won the state's 2008 GOP primary with 50% of the vote to former Gov. Mike Huckabee's 40.7% and Paul's 4.5%. But then-Sen. Barack Obama went on to win the state in the general election with 52.63% of the vote to McCain's 46.44%.

Wednesday's poll also indicated the Senate battle is still neck and neck with former Democratic governor and Democratic National Committee Chair Tim Kaine capturing 45% support and former Republican governor and Sen. George Allen with 44% among likely voters.

The poll questioned 1,544 registered voters between Feb. 1 and Feb. 6 with a sampling error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points. The Republican primary results included 546 likely voters with a sampling error of plus or minus 4.2 percentage points.

Filed under: 2012 • Polls • Republicans • Virginia
  1. Randy, San Francisco

Not surprised considering weak field of GOP/Tea Party candidates. Romney moved too far to the right in pandering to the extreme right. Paul's has too many goofy ideas that won't fly with the majority of voters. Gingrich has character and discipline problems. Santorum is too conservative and extreme to attract moderates and independents.

February 8, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  2. Saboth

I live in southern VA. About as anti-obama as you can get. Personally, I'll be voting for him again. Obviously he is doing a decent job, as the economy hasn't melted down and we are finally starting to recover, and we aren't engaging in more senseless Republican wars. Honestly, if Republicans had a viable candidate, I'd consider him. All I'm hearing is more tax breaks for the rich, more wars with Iran, NK or anyone else that makes us mad, and nothing addressing the dying middle class and skyrocketing insurance costs.

Hopefully we'll vote out some Republicans this election so we can actually get some legislation passed.

February 8, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  3. Marcus

Ben – Say that others are being 'fooled' because they believe in other data sources than the one ypu use is a poor argumentation. Fact, even if he wanted (in the remote possibility that he devided to 'cook' the numbers in his favor) the POTUS cannot make up numbers in his favor, there's too many people checking and rechecking every little bit of data and any 'wrong' number would be denounced as such before Cantor had any chance of sending his e-mails.
    So, what are YOUR numbers that says that the economy is not getting better?

February 8, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  4. Willie Floyd

Glad I came on-this made my day!! I'm retired now and on S.S. (which I paid for working all my life), so unfortunately I can't contribute as much as I did in the last election, but I'll sacrifice where I can and I'll certainly work in the campaign. I plan to transport to polls those needing a ride, passing out fliers, etc. We need to help any Dem. running for congress as well as the pres. I'm contributing to Eliz. Warren as I can and to Tim Kaine. In SC I don't have to worry about donating except tp Mr. Clyburn.
    Mr. President, you ROCK and we're with you all the way!

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012/ WARREN/ NEAR FUTURE

February 8, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  5. David

This news just made it in, and all the dogs started to bark!

February 8, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  6. 4 More Years!!!

Hey Ben!!! Clueless liberals drinking KoolAid, smoking stuff and taking drugs must know something YOU don't seeing that they're in the majority!!! Says something about what you think you know!!!

February 8, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  7. dwstick

The # of Democrats in the VA state legislature when Obama was elected was 66. That # now stands at 53. Virginia voters (with the possible exception of those living in the Beltway and working for the Federal government) have grown disillusioned by Obama and Democratic politicians. His 2008 win was a fluke; no doubt engineered by ACORN-like tactics.
    Virginians will be voting for a President this November, but it won't be for Obama!

February 8, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  8. jim

Seems to be a battle between Obama and the baffoons. In one corner we see racist Rick, 1/10% Mitt, and a dose of Eye of Newt. In the other corner we have an adult. Hmmmm – who will America pick; whom should America pick?

February 8, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  9. roy

Romney flip flops more then flipper the whale at Disney world.

February 8, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@Pa_outofwork: I was never sorry for you, but I could undertand your situation. However, 2 years later, and innumerable posts from you on this board complaining about being unemployed while blaming the current administration for it, while simultaneously collecting the unemployment that said administration made sure you could continue to receive, and I'm done. People like you are the ones that make others think that the unemployed are nothing but lazy, do-nothing bums opting to live on government handouts versus trying to improve their situation.
    Turn off the computer and go and get a job, or two, or three.

February 8, 2012 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  11. carrotroot

The reality is that it's too late for the Calvary to ride in and save the day. They are stuck with who they have.

February 8, 2012 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  12. Hark

President Obamas battle cry..." BOHECA".....Bend Over Here It Comes Again. You libs must be used to it as you seem to be numb to where this country is headed! Ouch!

February 8, 2012 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  13. Expat American

Good news. The President will need a strong showing in battleground states like VA.

Back in 2008, in and around metro DC you saw a lot of Obama stickers on BMWs and Range Rovers parked just across the key bridge. But once the beltway disappeared in the rearview, you saw a lot of McCain/Palin stickers on beat up old pickup trucks…many of which proudly displayed their confederate flag in the window as well; the latter are, are of course, the Newt/Romney/Santorum folks for the new cycle in 2012.

February 8, 2012 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  14. Ani S

President Obama's discriminatory attacks on Catholicism, Catholic Relief Services, and ordering Catholic military priest not to talk about HHS are why he is not going to be re-elected.

February 8, 2012 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  15. diridi

Any one who has brain, will vote for Obama. Republicans are crazy and hell...o.k,

February 8, 2012 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  16. Expat American

Hark
    --–
    The GOP has been bending over poor Republican Whites forever….don’t you care what happens to your fellow Republican voters? Wait….are you one of those who the GOP likes to ‘bend over’?

February 8, 2012 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. Obama's Snake Oil on Sale - Git yur lies and deceit here!!

Don't ya'll worry... I'll carry VA in 2012 just like I did in 2008 if I have to go out there and personally stuff the ballot boxes instead of paying ACORN to do it, like I did in 2008. Now THAT is some down right miraculous "community organizing" if you catch my drift.

February 8, 2012 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  18. Anonymous

TheMagusNYC

My MN sister will vote for any anti-choice candidate, especially one condemning socialists who are giving her hard earned tax money to lazy poor people, and she has no concern for the subtlety of bizarre policy proposals. So the GOP can count on similarly focused voters, fortunately not in the majority.

I would go a step farther and say your sister probably has no concern for any real information on policy proposals or laws that have actually passed. Maybe instead of just buying into this whole socialism B.S. she should go read some of the bills in congress and read the laws that have passed in the last few years. She might be surprised to find her federal income taxes were cut rather than went up for example.
    I agree the GOP is counting on similarly unfocused, low information voters.

February 8, 2012 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  19. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Right on Willie Floyd.
    Woman in California you stated my very same sentiments: VOTE. It is the only poll that counts.

February 8, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  20. Hark

@Expat American- I'm being BOHCA'd right now , and it sure ain't from the right. Ouch!....stop that Barack, Nancy,BARNEY, Maxine, Barbara,and on and on and on.

February 8, 2012 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  21. The Greedy Old Pigs have declared class war on US!

"I think a lot of independents are being turned off by the extremist movement of the Republican Party. "

I've been pointing out how CNN has been censoring the story about low voter turnout for the GOBP primaries. Finally CNN put up a well-researched article full of more facts than you'll usually ever find here on the ticker. And CNN put the article under the "Opinion" section! That's what the so-called "liberal" media looks like when they suck up to the corrupt corporatists and neocons. They do whatever they can to obscure the truth rather than reporting it.

February 8, 2012 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  22. Seraphim0

Snake Oil: you might actually need tolook up what socialism is, so that you don't keep misrepresenting it. Although about a "B" for trolling efforts, in the overall. Then again, why should taxpayers have to pay for any benefit for each other? Might as well toss out student loans, police, fire departments, social security benefits (I mean, really, if you're disabled, why should we help you as a fellow citizen?), unemployment benefits (which so many depended on after the recession was in full swing). I mean, let's ignore the improvement on the jobs report and the economy, the death of Osama, the ending of the combat mission in Iraq, victory in Libya, working on scaling down in Afgan, greenlighting hostage rescues, having more deportations than the previous administration (and more border patrol agents on the ground), and trying repreatedly to reach across the aisle. I mean, really, it's OBVIOUS that the President hasn't done anything at all in his term.

/sarcasm